BOTTOM FEEDERS= a place for everything modified and/or custom made

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
Quigs, to me I look at it different. I don't really care about the whole who hurt who's feelings about this chip or that chip or what everyone else says about high power vs low power or any of the fan boy vs fan boy stuff, I'm only looking at the chip for what it is and what it is is SICK...

picture owning a turbo car and wanting to upgrade the turbo and intercoolers and bigger injectors, etc. now what would be the best solution to tune this thing? something like a DFI or motec standalone would be best, allow you to tune everything through a pc interface. that's what the dna200 is, it's like a DFI for your mod :D

the control this thing allows is miles beyond anything out there, it's pretty techy geeky awesome, can't wait to get it in my hands :)

don't get me wrong, at first I was put off by the whole lipo and 3 cell thing but truth is no one likes change. the more I look into lipo's and multi cell packs the more I realize how much sense it makes though.

here's my thoughts on it

1) the chip itself is about the size of 2 dna chips in a row. the chip is big yeah, but it's not too bad to deal with. can't tell you how many times I thought of using 2 dna chips in a mod, this is similar to that I guess :)

2) the whole 200w thing is BS, all that means is it CAN be used up to 200watts, not that it must be used at 200 watts. 200 watts is max, but again, being a dfi it's very adaptable to whatever mod it's installed in. there is no reason why you couldn't use MUCH lower C rated cells and just limit the power level. I have nothing against having an 80 watt temp controlled mod that get's equal life to a good single 18650

3) all the guys out there using standard huge off the shelf 1,000-1,300 RC packs with 30-85c ratings and 200 watts without breaking a sweat is cool I guess in a brick of a mod, but that's not going to work for a bottom feeder cause we need to cram much more stuff into the same space, a bottom feeder is going to have to get a little more creative than that. were going to have to use smaller cells and run less than 200 watts but I think it's possible to make a lipo dan200 bottom feeder that are not much larger than a standard reo woodvil. it's all in the choice of cells.

ok, here's an example. because it's now using a much higher voltage input(3X higher) the amp draw winds up being much less (3X less). this means I can use a much lower C rated cell to get the same power or more.

as an example check these out

nanoround1000-main.jpg

that cell is only 12mm in diameter and around the length of an 18650. it's skinnier than a double A battery, slightly biger than AAA, it's equal to a size N in diameter. now fitting 3 12mm round cells wouldn't be too difficult and if you limited the mod to ONLY 100watts you's still be well below the C ratings of these cells and have more overall capacity than most any 18650.

there are many other types of lipo cells and building a 3S balanced pack is not that hard. you can actually use even tinier cells and run them in multiples of 3, for example if you found small 10c cells and used 6 of them, 3 pairs of 2 paralleled then strung together and this would give you double the effective C rating, making it a 20C pack. then theres the whole benefit of square packs for space efficiency

I also ordered some of these

9210000002(1).jpg

these are only 19mm wide by 7mm thick and again around the length of an 18650. stacked as a 3S pack the footprint would be 21mmX19mm. compare that to the 18mmX18mm footprint of a 18650, it's only slightly larger, but then again, because it's 3 separate slices you can get more creative in there placement and space distribution. this combo would give a mod that you could easily run 150 watts, slightly less capacity overall though, maybe ~ 30% less, but less voltage sag translates to longer usable vape time so the gap would close to even less than that really

the versatility of this 3 cell design is pretty good once you stop trying to run 200 watts without breaking a sweat, the problem is sourcing various good cells in small quantities because legitimate cell manufacturers only sell to legitimate pack builders. our real challenge is finding the best most space efficient cells

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
I get everything you wrote, interfacing with chip in a meaningful way (as opposed to the E Vic thing) is pretty awesome and holds about 80% of my fascination with the DNA200 , and as for the batt. I'm determined to make a large/flat bottle to stack against the batt...I'm looking forward to the big flat Li-poly

My only real reservation with the chip is it's a huge paradigm change for Evolv...I'm not diving in at that kind of $ on a v 1.0, very intrigued...but it is a DNA

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
My only real reservation with the chip is it's a huge paradigm change for Evolv...I'm not diving in at that kind of $ on a v 1.0, very intrigued...but it is a DNA

I bought ONE. That will let me get the form factor down and I will be ready for 1.1.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
I got 2 coming. I only got 1 DNA40 when they first came out and lo and behold it was one of the 10% or so that was wacko. Evolve made it right, but to me it seemed like 100%. The rest have been fine. Turbo I like the way you think and am going to look for smaller cells. The caviot though is we should replace that fuse on the board with a smaller one or include a smaller one off board just in case the board decides to go belly up to protect the batteries.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
yeah, I hear yah, believe it or not I still have NINE dna40's that have to go back to evolve. out of the 9 bad ones only 2 were actually my fault the other 7 were just duds or early failures so I really should have a bad taste in my mouth, I'm just hoping the dna200 doesn't repeat the same things but I can't imagine evolve being that suicidal, I'm thinking they probably learned from there whole dna40 fiasco and truth is I do have some dna40's that have been no problem at all. oh and quigs the dna200 was only a little over $50 in the group buy, I got 4 of them hoping to get at least 2 good functioning mods out of the 4, given evolve's track record lately :lol:

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
ok I just recieved my dna200's and a few lipos... let me tell you something, it's going to now be possible to make even SMALLER mods than before with this new 3S lipo deal. imagine an 18500 sized mod that can run over 100 watts and last longer than any 18500 ever would. also I received one of the 1,000mah packs and even that isn't so bad, I can see the end mod being about the size of an 18650 woodvil. I also agree that building larger flatter square tanks will wind up being a big benefit for us too. I have some of those square bottles from way back and the 15ml larger square one looks like it would be killer in a tiny feeder. going from round to square will def change a lot of what you can do with a mods layout. I'm also thinking along the lines of using a larger round bottle but then cutting it in half to make a half round tank that will but up to the square and be a 1/2 round on one side of the mod.

before the problem with trying to build with anything smaller than an 18650 was lack of power, lipos solve a lot of this. because of the higher voltage we only need ~ 1/3 of the amperage from our batteries now all else being equal, so now a tiny mod can be built than can vape at high power levels

Mandro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
Tamworth UK
I've got a DNA200 board but I'm not building a bottom feeder. I've built two DNA40 bottom feeders but I find that with my 14mm atty's, I tend to use my semi mech bottom feeders more, mainly due to there smaller size.
turbocad6, I agree with your last post. The various parts needed don't look too big until you start to draw the design.

Mandro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
Tamworth UK
Mandro, what do you mean by semi-mech? Do you have some sort of regulation in those mods?

It has been said on other forums that fully mech means no wires/mosfets etc. All of mine use wires/mosfets so I call them semi mech to avoid going over the same argument again and again.

rolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
spokane wa
Quigs, to me I look at it different. I don't really care about the whole who hurt who's feelings about this chip or that chip or what everyone else says about high power vs low power or any of the fan boy vs fan boy stuff, I'm only looking at the chip for what it is and what it is is SICK...

picture owning a turbo car and wanting to upgrade the turbo and intercoolers and bigger injectors, etc. now what would be the best solution to tune this thing? something like a DFI or motec standalone would be best, allow you to tune everything through a pc interface. that's what the dna200 is, it's like a DFI for your mod :D

the control this thing allows is miles beyond anything out there, it's pretty techy geeky awesome, can't wait to get it in my hands :)

don't get me wrong, at first I was put off by the whole lipo and 3 cell thing but truth is no one likes change. the more I look into lipo's and multi cell packs the more I realize how much sense it makes though.

here's my thoughts on it

1) the chip itself is about the size of 2 dna chips in a row. the chip is big yeah, but it's not too bad to deal with. can't tell you how many times I thought of using 2 dna chips in a mod, this is similar to that I guess :)

2) the whole 200w thing is BS, all that means is it CAN be used up to 200watts, not that it must be used at 200 watts. 200 watts is max, but again, being a dfi it's very adaptable to whatever mod it's installed in. there is no reason why you couldn't use MUCH lower C rated cells and just limit the power level. I have nothing against having an 80 watt temp controlled mod that get's equal life to a good single 18650

3) all the guys out there using standard huge off the shelf 1,000-1,300 RC packs with 30-85c ratings and 200 watts without breaking a sweat is cool I guess in a brick of a mod, but that's not going to work for a bottom feeder cause we need to cram much more stuff into the same space, a bottom feeder is going to have to get a little more creative than that. were going to have to use smaller cells and run less than 200 watts but I think it's possible to make a lipo dan200 bottom feeder that are not much larger than a standard reo woodvil. it's all in the choice of cells.

ok, here's an example. because it's now using a much higher voltage input(3X higher) the amp draw winds up being much less (3X less). this means I can use a much lower C rated cell to get the same power or more.

as an example check these out

nanoround1000-main.jpg

that cell is only 12mm in diameter and around the length of an 18650. it's skinnier than a double A battery, slightly biger than AAA, it's equal to a size N in diameter. now fitting 3 12mm round cells wouldn't be too difficult and if you limited the mod to ONLY 100watts you's still be well below the C ratings of these cells and have more overall capacity than most any 18650.

there are many other types of lipo cells and building a 3S balanced pack is not that hard. you can actually use even tinier cells and run them in multiples of 3, for example if you found small 10c cells and used 6 of them, 3 pairs of 2 paralleled then strung together and this would give you double the effective C rating, making it a 20C pack. then theres the whole benefit of square packs for space efficiency

I also ordered some of these

9210000002(1).jpg

these are only 19mm wide by 7mm thick and again around the length of an 18650. stacked as a 3S pack the footprint would be 21mmX19mm. compare that to the 18mmX18mm footprint of a 18650, it's only slightly larger, but then again, because it's 3 separate slices you can get more creative in there placement and space distribution. this combo would give a mod that you could easily run 150 watts, slightly less capacity overall though, maybe ~ 30% less, but less voltage sag translates to longer usable vape time so the gap would close to even less than that really

hi turbo
got two mods with the round lipo work great my cells are 1200 mah 15 c ..in one mod is a dna20 the other has a 4050c
they are about 15 mm by 60 mm. I charge them with a b6 balanced charger also the price on them is great.
my huge sqare lipos I don't like and they get next to no use anymore.still like the 18650 with a sx 350 for favored so

the versatility of this 3 cell design is pretty good once you stop trying to run 200 watts without breaking a sweat, the problem is sourcing various good cells in small quantities because legitimate cell manufacturers only sell to legitimate pack builders. our real challenge is finding the best most space efficient cells

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
It has been said on other forums that fully mech means no wires/mosfets etc. All of mine use wires/mosfets so I call them semi mech to avoid going over the same argument again and again.

Ya that term "semi-mech" is an odd one...I was called out by a peep who said that because I put a fet in my Grand it was no longer a "mech" and that I somehow sullied the term in its purest sense and should be ashamed...I cried myself to sleep that night

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO

And those purists can't grasp that a mech tube mod body is a large hollow wire. LoL

custom-classic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
USA
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: Posting Against ECF Supplier TOS

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
@Quigsworth was it you whom cut and melted LDPE bottles together? I would like to create a 1/2 round bottle 13 mm radius. Ordered some 20 ml bottles (26 mm diameter) and some .06" thick LDPE sheet. Looking at doing a printed DNA 200 Squonker in the Dibi/Gdeal shape. In the pic below of a proposed top view cross section the left side is for the board, middle for the 3S battery, and right 1/2 circle is for the bottle. I put the thicker side of the battery area (sized for a Nanotech 950 plus 3% side of pouches and plus 5% front and back of pouches) sideways to try and shorten up the width between rounded ends. The 1/2 bottle shape will sure save space.

DNA200%20Squonker%201%20Top%20Outline.JPG_zpshpnrry8w.jpeg

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Ya, I was extending the Reo 6ml bottles (more just to see if I could and how much abuse they would take)...to simply extend a bottle i.e. cut the top off one and the bottom off another and heat weld them together is pretty easy, I just put some tinfoil on a cookie sheet and put the cookie sheet on the stove top, touched the halves on it till it gets clear and gooey and stick them together...about a 70% success rate but the ones where they didn't leak (or look like crap) the weld holds very good and stays flexible.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
For a flat "bottle" I've been thinking about getting some LDPE sheet in 1/32" and 1/4"...I would cut the LDPE the same dimensions of the face of whatever Li-poly I'll use and on the 1/4" piece, cut out the interior (a rectangular doughnut) and weld the 1/32" pieces on either side, drill a feed tube hole and a fill hole through the top 1/4" (or I guess now 5/16") edge and see what type of disaster I've created.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread