Had to move the 510 and fill with ca. I have to buy linseed oil etc next pay

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
It's not pretty, but here's my project from this weekend. My first step into squonking.

Internals are the guts of a sigelei 150w, FatDaddy BF 510 and 15ml bottle. Box was built using Lexan Polycarboante. Still working on the lid, but its working great so far. The hobo v3 is an angelcigs clone but it had the BF 510 pin so I threw it on in favor of converting any of my other atties to save time this weekend. It will not last long on there.

11348210_128314144182227_246072045_n.jpg

studiovap

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Queensland Australia
It's not pretty, but here's my project from this weekend. My first step into squonking.

Internals are the guts of a Sigelei 150w, FatDaddy BF 510 and 15ml bottle. Box was built using Lexan Polycarboante. Still working on the lid, but its working great so far. The hobo v3 is an angelcigs clone but it had the BF 510 pin so I threw it on in favor of converting any of my other atties to save time this weekend. It will not last long on there.

11348210_128314144182227_246072045_n.jpg
wOW THAT'S ONE HELL OF A HANDFULL :)
good to see you are putting the Sigelei 150w to good use though.
Unless you have yeti sized hands I imagine you will be looking for a smaller more comfortable unit once you fall for the squonk.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
wOW THAT'S ONE HELL OF A HANDFULL :)
good to see you are putting the Sigelei 150w to good use though.
Unless you have yeti sized hands I imagine you will be looking for a smaller more comfortable unit once you fall for the squonk.
Immediately after building this, I realized how bulky it is, but not necessarily too large for me. I made it as small as i could while fitting everything inside of it. In retrospect, I could have used a more square size box (like the Hammer Of God quad parallels), but it was a fun process with what I had laying around and $8 worth of Lexan.

I will say that my next squonker will likely be a Reo or something similar now that I know that squonking is quite a bit more enjoyable and easier than dripping. That and I really don't want to spend another 7 hours on and off building a box that may work but not be aesthetically pleasing lol.

I think I've just held onto variable voltage vaping as a means to not worry about having a charger at work or 3 extra batteries on hand. I definitely prefer a warm to hot dense vape, and have grown quite accustomed to my claptons and other artistic coils. To the future though!

studiovap

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Queensland Australia
Immediately after building this, I realized how bulky it is, but not necessarily too large for me. I made it as small as i could while fitting everything inside of it. In retrospect, I could have used a more square size box (like the Hammer Of God quad parallels), but it was a fun process with what I had laying around and $8 worth of Lexan.

I will say that my next squonker will likely be a Reo or something similar now that I know that squonking is quite a bit more enjoyable and easier than dripping. That and I really don't want to spend another 7 hours on and off building a box that may work but not be aesthetically pleasing lol.

I think I've just held onto variable voltage vaping as a means to not worry about having a charger at work or 3 extra batteries on hand. I definitely prefer a warm to hot dense vape, and have grown quite accustomed to my claptons and other artistic coils. To the future though!
I run a heavily wicked tricro 26g nichrome, with 7-8 1.6mm ID wraps through the middle and two lots of two 2mm ID wraps up top, it comes in around 0.65 Ohms heats quick has huge flavour, thick vapor and thumpy throat hit, and runs great on a single cell. Worth a try if you like Claptons but want somthing more snappy and easier on the power.

Reactions: thetrucker

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I run a heavily wicked tricro 26g nichrome, with 7-8 1.6mm ID wraps through the middle and two lots of two 2mm ID wraps up top, it comes in around 0.65 Ohms heats quick has huge flavour, thick vapor and thumpy throat hit, and runs great on a single cell. Worth a try if you like Claptons but want somthing more snappy and easier on the power.
Trico? Got some pics? I'm intrigued lol.

Reactions: thetrucker

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
...On the subject of the FD V5, and you may be able to help me here Quigs, where is the sealing o ring for the main shaft. I have massive stock of the V4 flat top and the brass bf cores and although they have their limitations I like the dismantle able nature of them and the ability to change and/or upgrade the orings or even the whole core for that matter. I don't have an issue with the brass as I run a drift fitting 2mm OD 1.6mm I'd ss tube through the core, although cutting and installing this is an extra job tha takes some time obviously. How tight and smooth is the clearance of the pin in the ceramic sleeve?
With my current MOSFET box I get around 0.15v drop on a 0.65ohm build with the brass FD and that still impresses me every time I check it on the volt meter. I wonder what the effect of the Ss pin will be on that.

I didn't get around to swapping out a bad V4 with a V5 this weekend as hoped...turned out the mod was going to fix was just so beat up I decided to strip it of anything worthy and binned it (a long fun summer can have that effect on a high rotation mod :))

I did get the chance to connect a bottle and a Derringer to a V5 (the o ring embedded in the plate is a nice touch) and squonked some water (good sign). I couldn't get it to noticably leak but once I install it in one of my crappy mods that will be the real test...another thing I did was check to see if there was any meterable R between the funky brass coupling and the SS post...nothing my fluke could pick up and I even rotated it around while measuring...overall, it's a pretty quality piece (best QC of any FD hardware I've seen and I've got them all)...about the only thing I could see being an issue is if you got a little seepage on the SS center post an the film creating R, first thing I thought was apply some pressure with some needle nose to put the coupling holes slightly out of round and grind it on the center post...but I'll see

One good thing was the embedded o ring is well inside the outer edge of the 22mm plate...as I tend to sink the plate into the top deck material to keep things flush I'll have to turn it down a bit...I'll get to keep the deck o ring.

Reactions: RiverNut

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
I use silicone tubing like that and I love it, but I use one with 1/16" ID, 3/16" OD with a 1/16th wall. I like the 1/16th ID because it fits on the fatdaddy needle pins well, easy on and off but still tight enough for no leaks and it stretches enough to fit most anything else too, I also have clear pvc in the same size and it works fine too but I like the silicone better

silicone: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FOWGDK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01

high purity pvc: Tygon 2275 High Purity PVC Tubing, Clear: Industrial Plastic Tubing: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

studio, this is what I was talking about with using cutters on wood

20150831_185807_zpsvh0ewlx5.jpg

as you can see in the pic if you plunge into the side of a block you're risking pulling out wood from the back of the bit, depending on the direction of the grain, if you then run the bit in the direction of the pull out your going to def have problems, to level a block I start at a corner and then run all around the outer perimeter with the push in part of the bit as the leading edge.

I meant to show more and explain more but wanted to at least get this basic idea here to see what I mean. on metal most milling is done with the "pushing out" part of the bit as the leading edge. using the "pushing in" part of the bit as the leading edge with metal is called climb milling and can cause a lot of chatter problems, backlash chattering and vibrations because the bit is constantly trying to climb out of the work and your forcing chips into the work instead of out evacuating the chips easier, it's mostly used for only very light finish cuts on metal, but wood is kinda the opposite, you want the bit trying to climb out, because that will be pushing the wood into itself instead of trying to tear it out. when working with wood you should always be conscious of the grain direction and the bit direction and try to climb mill as much as practical to avoid pullout

Last edited:

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Thanks for the tubing links...

If I can just add one more thing to Turbo's climbing vs standard milling on wood. Studio, you mentioned getting a facing tool...given the typical size of stock we use, a facing tool has the ability to shave an entire face in one pass...this will give a good example of what Turbo is talking about...one edge will look good (the edge the cutter is driving into) and the oposing edge will be ripped apart as the cutter exits. On anything with a grain (it'll even make a mess of polycarb) always face with a 50/50 pass. Hard to explain in writing but play with some scrap...it becomes 2nd nature pretty quick...one of the reasons why I've yet to find a real need for a facing bit, and just use my 1" 6 flute...keeps me out of trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread