Bought my dad an ecig

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by CuriousAroma, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. CuriousAroma

CuriousAroma Full Member

My Dads using a disposable ecig i got him to see if he likes it but he has told me it makes him cough sometimes if he inhales, he has been a pack a day smoker for about 30 years . Advice ? I told him he coughs with regular ones too though .

2. Boiler

Boiler Ultra Member ECF Veteran

3. WaynesWorld

WaynesWorld Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

A lot of us, (myself included & I was a 2 PAD for 30 years), when we first stared vaping would cough because our throats and lungs were not use to the PG & VG. It quickly passes. Just remember back when you first started smoking analogs ... not only did you hack till your eyes bulged ... you were lucky if you didn't turn GREEN! But, it soon passed and it will with Vaping too ... and the health benefits of vaping are TOO GREAT to give up now!!! ... Vape On! :toast:

4. Despraci

Despraci Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

It will pass... if he stills smokes it will take more time. Eventually it will clear up.

5. supermanfun

supermanfun Full Member

Which brand of disposable ecig he is using?

6. Rat2chat2

Rat2chat2 ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Welcome to ecf and I think it is wonderful you are helping your dad. I think a lot of people coughed at the beginning. Just tell him to be patient. Mine did not last long. Good luck and let us know how he is doing. :)

7. Violation

Violation Moved On

Heavy smoker need a heavy mod; Mod has a stronger sense of being which fits your dad more. How about Black panzer mod? He will like it.

8. Emzie Blankenship

Emzie Blankenship Full Member

Tell him to use this technique, it's different from smoking. When you smoke, you hold it all in your mouth, then inhale at once. When you vape, inhale as you are hitting it. Hit it soft and smooth, not hard. Also, if he vapes for 2 hours a day, then skips a day, then tries to vape again on the 3rd day, it's not going to help him practice and it's going to be hard for him to avoid coughing. Although if he vapes daily, and regularly, he will have it down pat in a day and no more cough.

9. BigCatDaddy

BigCatDaddy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I almost hacked a lung out when I first started vaping. I went to a local B & M and they hooked me up with some high VG juice and that did the trick. I still coughed a little as my lungs were not used to vapor over smoke, but it wasn't real bad and helped me make the transition. I'm pretty sure if I tried a smoke now, I would hack like a madman.

10. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Everyone's advice seems to be on point.

Everyone coughed when they first starting inhaling the smoke from cigarettes. Our body adapted to the smoke and the coughing went away for the most part....until the long term effects of smoking began to take its toll.

Many people cough when they take up vaping. It's normal and to be expected. Once we adapt to the vapor, the coughing will go away.

The amount of nicotine in the e-liquid can affect coughing. Nicotine is what causes what we call the "throat hit", or that peppery sensation in our throats when we smoked or vape. (Pg, or propylene glycol, in the eliquid can also cause this to a lesser degree.) Using the correct concentration of nicotine is important. Typical vape shop recommendations are the following:

10 cigs a day = 6 mg nicotine
    20 cigs a day = 12 mg nicotine

30 cigs a day = 18 mg nicotine
    40 cigs a day = 24 mg nicotine

Many of the disposable e-cigs only offer low, medium, or high nicotine. Who knows what nicotine concentration that works out to? Going to a good reliable vape B&M shop which has a juice sample bar is the best way to find a good flavor e-liquid.

The nicotine in vapor is a different size molecule than the nicotine in smoke. Most will be absorbed in the mouth, throat, and nasal passage ways. A proper mouth inhale technique is important. (Not really required to inhale into the lungs at all initially.)

I advise novices to imagine sucking on a straw in a milkshake. Use the cheek muscles, draw in a mouthfull of vapor. Whether to exhale immediately, or to inhale into the lungs for a cigarette-like experience is one's choice. When exhaling, exhale some through the nose for more absorbtion, and to better enjoy the flavor of the vapor.

11. CabinetGuyScott

CabinetGuyScott Super Member ECF Veteran

Great stuff!

I've captured this post into a blog entry for quick and easy reference.

Thanks Bad!

12. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

The liquid used has as much to do with the cough as anything else. The problem with disposables is that you are stuck with the liquid that someone else determined is right for you. Changing the PG/VG ratio, nicotine content, or flavor can make a huge difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.