Bought my dad an ecig

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaynesWorld

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2014
West Central, MN
A lot of us, (myself included & I was a 2 PAD for 30 years), when we first stared vaping would cough because our throats and lungs were not use to the PG & VG. It quickly passes. Just remember back when you first started smoking analogs ... not only did you hack till your eyes bulged ... you were lucky if you didn't turn GREEN! But, it soon passed and it will with vaping too ... and the health benefits of vaping are TOO GREAT to give up now!!! ... Vape On! :toast:

Last edited:

Despraci

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2014
Palmyra, PA
A lot of us, (myself included & I was a 2 PAD for 30 years), when we first stared vaping would cough because our throats and lungs were not use to the PG & VG. It quickly passes. Just remember back when you first started smoking analogs ... not only did you hack till your eyes bulged ... you were lucky if you didn't turn GREEN! But, it soon passed and it will with Vaping too ... and the health benefits of vaping are TOO GREAT to give up now!!! ... Vape On! :toast:

It will pass... if he stills smokes it will take more time. Eventually it will clear up.

My Dads using a disposable ecig i got him to see if he likes it but he has told me it makes him cough sometimes if he inhales, he has been a pack a day smoker for about 30 years . Advice ? I told him he coughs with regular ones too though .

Tell him to use this technique, it's different from smoking. When you smoke, you hold it all in your mouth, then inhale at once. When you vape, inhale as you are hitting it. Hit it soft and smooth, not hard. Also, if he vapes for 2 hours a day, then skips a day, then tries to vape again on the 3rd day, it's not going to help him practice and it's going to be hard for him to avoid coughing. Although if he vapes daily, and regularly, he will have it down pat in a day and no more cough.

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
I almost hacked a lung out when I first started vaping. I went to a local B & M and they hooked me up with some high VG juice and that did the trick. I still coughed a little as my lungs were not used to vapor over smoke, but it wasn't real bad and helped me make the transition. I'm pretty sure if I tried a smoke now, I would hack like a madman.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Everyone's advice seems to be on point.

Everyone coughed when they first starting inhaling the smoke from cigarettes. Our body adapted to the smoke and the coughing went away for the most part....until the long term effects of smoking began to take its toll.

Many people cough when they take up vaping. It's normal and to be expected. Once we adapt to the vapor, the coughing will go away.

The amount of nicotine in the e-liquid can affect coughing. Nicotine is what causes what we call the "throat hit", or that peppery sensation in our throats when we smoked or vape. (Pg, or propylene glycol, in the eliquid can also cause this to a lesser degree.) Using the correct concentration of nicotine is important. Typical vape shop recommendations are the following:

10 cigs a day = 6 mg nicotine
20 cigs a day = 12 mg nicotine

30 cigs a day = 18 mg nicotine
40 cigs a day = 24 mg nicotine

Many of the disposable e-cigs only offer low, medium, or high nicotine. Who knows what nicotine concentration that works out to? Going to a good reliable vape B&M shop which has a juice sample bar is the best way to find a good flavor e-liquid.

The nicotine in vapor is a different size molecule than the nicotine in smoke. Most will be absorbed in the mouth, throat, and nasal passage ways. A proper mouth inhale technique is important. (Not really required to inhale into the lungs at all initially.)

I advise novices to imagine sucking on a straw in a milkshake. Use the cheek muscles, draw in a mouthfull of vapor. Whether to exhale immediately, or to inhale into the lungs for a cigarette-like experience is one's choice. When exhaling, exhale some through the nose for more absorbtion, and to better enjoy the flavor of the vapor.

Last edited:

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com
Great stuff!

I've captured this post into a blog entry for quick and easy reference.

Thanks Bad!

Everyone's advice seems to be on point.

Everyone coughed when they first starting inhaling the smoke from cigarettes. Our body adapted to the smoke and the coughing went away for the most part....until the long term effects of smoking began to take its toll.

Many people cough when they take up vaping. It's normal and to be expected. Once we adapt to the vapor, the coughing will go away.

The amount of nicotine in the e-liquid can affect coughing. Nicotine is what causes what we call the "throat hit", or that peppery sensation in our throats when we smoked or vape. (Pg, or propylene glycol, in the eliquid can also cause this to a lesser degree.) Using the correct concentration of nicotine is important. Typical vape shop recommendations are the following:

10 cigs a day = 6 mg nicotine
20 cigs a day = 12 mg nicotine

30 cigs a day = 18 mg nicotine
40 cigs a day = 24 mg nicotine

Many of the disposable e-cigs only offer low, medium, or high nicotine. Who knows what nicotine concentration that works out to? Going to a good reliable vape B&M shop which has a juice sample bar is the best way to find a good flavor e-liquid.

The nicotine in vapor is a different size molecule than the nicotine in smoke. Most will be absorbed in the mouth, throat, and nasal passage ways. A proper mouth inhale technique is important. (Not really required to inhale into the lungs at all initially.)

I advise novices to imagine sucking on a straw in a milkshake. Use the cheek muscles, draw in a mouthfull of vapor. Whether to exhale immediately, or to inhale into the lungs for a cigarette-like experience is one's choice. When exhaling, exhale some through the nose for more absorbtion, and to better enjoy the flavor of the vapor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread