Bought new batteries with minor peeling marks (New to Vaping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capataro

Oct 20, 2016
Should this be of any concern? The guy at the vape store said it was nothing to worry about, but some research I did said otherwise...Seems to work without any problems in my RX2/3 and charging in a nightcore i4 v2 charger... Just checking to be sure that one day it does not blow off my hand... If there is a problem, is there anything i can do to remedy it like Electrical Tape etc?
14741056_10157606212305134_1309406291_n.jpg

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Get some replacement shrink wraps ASAP... seriously! Most decent stores should have some, and the better stores with help and do it or assist/show you how to do it.. (or check some videos on YouTube)

The distance between the negative (almost the whole shell) and the positive (the top pin) is very small, and anything that will cause them to make a contact and the battery will fry, either vent (the hot liquid chemicals spits out) or you'll have a runaway (boom and fire).

The way that batteries are "protected" is a ring on the top that protect the 1 mm wide insulation and the wrap that holds it in place. If you get that wrap caught on anything and the ring is pushed / bent, you're going to have a bad time.

If you can't find proper wraps, then tape them for now, anything is better than nothing, but with tape, you may have trouble fitting them in anything correctly and the tape might even catch on stuff more and rip it even more.

You can order these wraps from lots of online stores, and until you get them, you might want to set these batteries aside safely.

Safety is always first with these lithium batteries. Really, the power and reaction they have is something to seriously respect.

That guy at the store that say not to worry is a * (select any word that means low intelligence), and I'd never take any advice for him again if I was you.

I meant it, going from slightly damage like that to the wrap ripping off is really easy to happen, and at that location of the battery, is the worst spot, and if it happens while in contact with a device, it will fry the mod or charger, etc. too.

Here's a video in case:

Last edited:

Capataro

Oct 20, 2016
Get some replacement shrink wraps ASAP... seriously! Most decent stores should have some, and the better stores with help and do it or assist/show you how to do it.. (or check some videos on YouTube)

The distance between the negative (almost the whole shell) and the positive (the top pin) is very small, and anything that will cause them to make a contact and the battery will fry, either vent (the hot liquid chemicals spits out) or you'll have a runaway (boom and fire).

The way that batteries are "protected" is a ring on the top that protect the 1 mm wide insulation and the wrap that holds it in place. If you get that wrap caught on anything and the ring is pushed / bent, you're going to have a bad time.

If you can't find proper wraps, then tape them for now, anything is better than nothing, but with tape, you may have trouble fitting them in anything correctly and the tape might even catch on stuff more and rip it even more.

You can order these wraps from lots of online stores, and until you get them, you might want to set these batteries aside safely.

Safety is always first with these lithium batteries. Really, the power and reaction they have is something to seriously respect.

That guy at the store that say not to worry is a * (select any word that means low intelligence), and I'd never take any advice for him again if I was you.

I meant it, going from slightly damage like that to the wrap ripping off is really easy to happen, and at that location of the battery, is the worst spot, and if it happens while in contact with a device, it will fry the mod or charger, etc. too.
THanks a lot for this detailed information!... Can i leave the batteries in my mod powered off for safe keeping in the mean time?... Will try to return the batteries tomorrow to see if i can get them replaced

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
THanks a lot for this detailed information!... Can i leave the batteries in my mod powered off for safe keeping in the mean time?... Will try to return the batteries tomorrow to see if i can get them replaced

As long as you don't get caught on them, no problem, it's the taking them out and back in, that's the "danger" time... it's getting caught on something that would cause them to rip and then push/bend the insulating ring and somehow having something do a contact, is what you have to be careful with.

Reactions: Capataro

Capataro

Oct 20, 2016
As long as you don't get caught on them, no problem, it's the taking them out and back in, that's the "danger" time... it's getting caught on something that would cause them to rip and then push/bend the insulating ring and somehow having something do a contact, is what you have to be careful with.
Thanks a lot.. really appreciate the help... will return it tomorrow and see if I can get replacements since i bought it this way to begin with

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Like Joergl said.. if you're able to switch batteries, do not get cheap third parties types, those are actually the rejects from the real brands. So you actually do not know what you actually have... one could be a failed Sony 2300, and the other a failed LG 2500... for a dual battery mod, that's not good, you need to go for a married set aka, a set of batteries that are as identical as possible, charged and discharges together every time.

Go for authentic LG, Sony or Samsung ones instead.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Thanks a lot.. really appreciate the help... will return it tomorrow and see if I can get replacements since i bought it this way to begin with

Bought like that? wow.. that is really bad. There's not a single reputable store here that would ever do that.

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
The shop you bought them from shouldn't have sold them to you in that condition to start with. Rewraps sleeves aren't that expensive and with the video that Imfallen angel posted you could rewrap them yourself rather easily. I rewrappped mine a month ago my series mech battery sled tears the sleeves pretty quickly so about once a month I'm rewrapping them for safety sake.

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
The green Samsung 25r batteries are some of the best I've ever used I stand by them and they have handled everything I have thrown at them. I run the brown LG batteries in my Disguiser and Samsung's in my RX 200 and my mech's. Go check out mooch's page he always has the latest info on what's what with batteries.

Reactions: Capataro

Capataro

Oct 20, 2016
Like Joergl said.. if you're able to switch batteries, do not get cheap third parties types, those are actually the rejects from the real brands. So you actually do not know what you actually have... one could be a failed Sony 2300, and the other a failed LG 2500... for a dual battery mod, that's not good, you need to go for a married set aka, a set of batteries that are as identical as possible, charged and discharges together every time.

Go for LG, Sony or Samsungs ones instead.
Bought like that? wow.. that is really bad. There's not a single reputable store here that would ever do that.
Yep, I know that for sure.... They initially took out some new batteries (same MXJO) when i first bought the mod 2 days ago, and realized it wasnt charged so the guy gave me his which he said was new anyway (obviously BS after i actually saw the batteries when setting it to charge)

Quality service in Trinidad.

Capataro

Oct 20, 2016
The shop you bought them from shouldn't have sold them to you in that condition to start with. Rewraps sleeves aren't that expensive and with the video that Imfallen angel posted you could rewrap them yourself rather easily. I rewrappped mine a month ago my series mech battery sled tears the sleeves pretty quickly so about once a month I'm rewrapping them for safety sake.
I was actually looking for minimal maintenance when getting a vape... If i'm really carefull while removing them in and out of the chambers, i should not have to worry about rewrapping right?

Ajsin11950

Sep 17, 2016
@Capataro can you tell us specifically which MXJO batteries you have, as in the specifications printed on the side of the wrap? Our resident battery expert Mooch has recently tested a bunch of these cells and most of them perform very poorly.
mxjo-3000mah_18650batteries.jpg

Those are the yellow/silver MXJOs.. I'm gonna have to take a look at Mooch's reseults myself, I'm curious. I've been using 2 of these in an IPV 400 for almost 2 months now and so far they have performed perfectly for me. I charge right through the mod for a couple hours when I first wake up and then vape all day (on average about 6 tfv8 tank fulls) and don't charge again until the next morning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread