Brand New Protank II Rusting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Born2Hula

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Close to Philly, USA
Even if it were rust marks from corroding Kanthal it is not "trashed". Iron oxide is not toxic or harmful in any way. (Your red blood cells are largely iron oxide)

Try soaking it in Coca Cola and scrubbing it with your toothbrush again - that should remove any rust marks.

ETA: The only way I can see Kanthal rusting is if you use a very acid juice and leave it to dry out for an extended period of time.

If it were rust, would not the coke have the tendency to cause more of the chrome (or whatever it is) layer to peel up come up, further degrading the tank?

Born2Hula

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Close to Philly, USA
Kanthal is what your coil is made of. I think the person who made that post was confused. Back to the topic: There is a copper layer in the metal. I'm pretty sure you're seeing a bit where it's exposed, and thinking it's rust.

If it is expanding, would you then feel it to be rust?

Born2Hula

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Close to Philly, USA
Honestly, I've noticed odd colorations on mine and I'm getting odd tastes out of it. Yours and mine may be some sort of clone - boxes aren't hard to replicate. If you're concerned, you may want to look into a Vision Aurora Bottom Feeder - it's a slight ever bit more of a hassle to vape out of than a Protank (but you don't have to rebuild or anything) and instead of a tank, it uses a little plastic bottle that you can squeeze the juice up into a dripping atty, which are disposable (but last a long time and are said to work 10x better than a head), or you can also use a Nova head I believe (the device comes with a tube adaptor to allow it to use heads as well as atomizers) and you can throw the little plastic bottle away whenever you feel it's old and get a new one for probably a couple bucks. Most of the non-disposable parts of the device never come in contact with juice. Much easier to clean.

The only catch is you have to slightly pinch the plastic bottle (which is the "tank") every 3-5 puffs (some say every 5-7), but this allows for more control over wicking, giving you a better performance as well. It's virtually a squeeze-bottle tank, but works in generally the same way a pyrex tank does, with just a little annoyance. But for me, it's all about what's safe and performs well. I hear great things about them. About $25.

The only thing I have to do research on is just how safe it truly is to use juice in the specific plastic bottle they use - I have seen extreme etching on plastic bottles used to store juice - and I don't want any corrostion or chemicals seeping into the juice!

This somewhat makes my head spin, though I will look at the youtube vids on the topic and see what they are like. Thank you for taking the time to write all this. :)

Scarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2013
Lafayette, IN, USA
If it is expanding, would you then feel it to be rust?

If the area were expanding, you could get a better look at it, at least. If it is rusting, something is very wrong. If it s a spot where to plating is missing, and it's expanding, something is still very wrong. I'm not sure what to make of it.

ArcaneMolaMola

Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
El Paso, TX
Greetings,

I think another question is the state of the water you are using? Is it tap water? The tap water here where I live has a lot of salt, iron and who knows what else, since it eats up a lot of my metal utensils like crazy. Many of my wooden utensils and chopsticks from Japan have been eaten up pretty bad as well. If you are using tap water, could it be something there? For this reason, I use Distilled/Deionized water from the lab I work at. Just another hypothesis really, I could be wrong.

Cheers

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Kanthal is what your coil is made of. I think the person who made that post was confused. Back to the topic: There is a copper layer in the metal. I'm pretty sure you're seeing a bit where it's exposed, and thinking it's rust.

Edited: Apologies to Scarey and Born2Hula.

Last edited:

Born2Hula

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Close to Philly, USA
If the area were expanding, you could get a better look at it, at least. If it is rusting, something is very wrong. If it s a spot where to plating is missing, and it's expanding, something is still very wrong. I'm not sure what to make of it.

I can't yet tell if it's expanding or if I'm imagining that. Will have to wait longer to tell.
fwiw, I've put a clear HHV juice in it. I'll vape this tank down and then wash it again and see what comes of it.

For the record, I do like this this tank. I particularly like how I can pull the entire thing apart to clean it.

Born2Hula

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Close to Philly, USA
Greetings,

I think another question is the state of the water you are using? Is it tap water? The tap water here where I live has a lot of salt, iron and who knows what else, since it eats up a lot of my metal utensils like crazy. Many of my wooden utensils and chopsticks from Japan have been eaten up pretty bad as well. If you are using tap water, could it be something there? For this reason, I use Distilled/Deionized water from the lab I work at. Just another hypothesis really, I could be wrong.

Cheers

Very good point and yes, I used tap water even though I had read threads urging the use of distilled instead. I didn't have any at the time and had forgot I had vodka in the house. And yes, my utensils take a beating as well. Damn.

Born2Hula

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Close to Philly, USA
Hope someone can reply soon with information. Been thinking of buying a protank and would like to know beforehand if this is an issue.

Please don't let my post dissuade you. In all other respects I really enjoy this tank. I think what I'm experiencing is an aberration.

Born2Hula

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Close to Philly, USA
I wonder if using a pur or brita water filter will work as well. I would hate to buy distilled water just to wash my e cig material.

I mean you can kill two birds with one stone and have fresh drinking water at the same time.

I have a brita and will try that if I use water again and don't have distilled on hand. I used to purchase distilled often for my astronomy equipment. It's not so great an expense and I would use it.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
If you are using hard tap water with lots of minerals that may be an issue. I cleaned a head a yr ago at the cottage using well water (lots of minerals- drilled well) and it came out weird so I tossed it. Could also be the manufacturer ran out of higher grade Kanthal and switched to a lower grade with more iron in it. Here's a link showing the materials used...no copper:
Iron-chromium-aluminium (FeCrAl) wire

Scarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2013
Lafayette, IN, USA
ROTFLMAO Tom Catt is a highly regarded and VERY knowledgeable member of ECF and is not confused. Note from the date of that thread he was wrapping coils over a yr ago. What's your experience/ how long have you been vaping?

Confused about what the OP was describing... Way to get all ad hominem. This isn't a pissing match. What's mt experience? The magic power of ADHD hyperfocus. Have you ever researched a topic every waking moment that you weren't at work? If so, how much did you learn in how long. I was merely positing that your vape-messiah (no offense to you Tom Catt, maybe you could get your disciple in line?) had misunderstood what the OP described, as he was speculating that rust from kanthal was reaching a part of the tank that has no contact with the coil.

Born2Hula

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Close to Philly, USA
If you are using hard tap water with lots of minerals that may be an issue. I cleaned a head a yr ago at the cottage using well water (lots of minerals- drilled well) and it came out weird so I tossed it. Could also be the manufacturer ran out of higher grade Kanthal and switched to a lower grade with more iron in it. Here's a link showing the materials used...no copper:
Iron-chromium-aluminium (FeCrAl) wire

So the minerals could cause a chain reaction with one exposure. I certainly won't be using the tap water again. The heads and other parts are too expensive to be callous with, at least for me right now. I'm new and so the expense has been a bit high just now. And I've discovered the good juice, so I'm really in for it for at least the next months to come.
I also need to STOP looking at mods! (can't get that steam punk panic button out of my head heh heh)

sigtausteve

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2013
Lawton, OK, USA
To answer your carto question. May I direct you to Grimmgreen on YouTube "so you wanna try cartos" is the video. Excellent information. Cartos are easy to fill, and even easier to use in a tank. You can punch your own or use prepunched ones. Pm me if you want more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Born2Hula

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Close to Philly, USA
To answer your carto question. May I direct you to Grimmgreen on YouTube "so you wanna try cartos" is the video. Excellent information. Cartos are easy to fill, and even easier to use in a tank. You can punch your own or use prepunched ones. Pm me if you want more info.
Very much appreciate that.

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
If it were rust, would not the coke have the tendency to cause more of the chrome (or whatever it is) layer to peel up come up, further degrading the tank?

No, not really. The Phosphoric acid in the coke will just reduce the oxide and allow it to be removed easier. If it is rust, that is. It's still not making sense because Kanthal is the only thing in there that has any iron in it.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
First off my sincere apologies to Scarey and Bornt2Hula. Regardless of what was said I do respect and appreciate his input. I was mixed up with another thread whereby the head was rusting.
Okay. Copper and brass do not rust- they oxidize- gives a green or dark patina to the material. I suspect that the chrome plating on the airway (some have mentioned the airway may be chrome plated steel and not copper) was not done properly- possibly the metal was not prepped / washed properly before the plating process. Chrome plating is porous and although somewhat rust resistant it's not 100% rust resistant. The reason copper is chrome plated is because contact between juice and copper is a no no. I believe it's a defect and the Vendor should replace it. Here's another person that had the exact same issue (pics posted). He contacted the Vendor and was told his issue was a first.
Post # 28 http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/465285-protank-2-a-3.html
Vendor's response Post # 43 http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/465285-protank-2-a-5.html
You could try soaking it in vinegar but realize there may be an aftertaste and it would only be a temporary fix until the next time it rusted.

As far as reasonably priced heads- both reputable Vendors:
http://www.discountvapers.com/kanger-protank-coil-heads/
or
http://www.sun-vapers.com/buy/kanger-protank-heads-in-1-8-or-2-5-ohms-5-pack/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread