Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I get tons of flavor on all of my builds. And tons of vapor too. Just build it until you figure it out.
my preferences:
usually 24g kanthal, sometimes 22g kanthal, and occasionally 24g nichrome
I always build at least 2 coils, sometimes 3 or 4
My 24g or 22g coils generally have 6 wraps around a 2mm screwdriver... sometimes 5 wraps. Sometimes I will build 4 coils like this. However, this 4-coil build is probably too low resistance for a beginner, and definitely too low if you don't have an unregulated mod that takes at least 2 parallel 18650 batteries.

Since you are just starting out, go for a dual coil, 6-wraps 24g. This is going to be almost exactly .21 ohm.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
You have a VW mod so you don't really need to go that low (unless you're using the nickel wire for the temperature control which I really don't know much about). I would suggest 26g kanthal 9 wraps on a 3mm ID. Dual coils come out to 0.7Ω and it's one of the most flavorful builds I've ever had at 50W. Plus, higher ohms means more volts. I'm running it on a Magma.

An Infinite what? CLT?

Also, the M80 is a nice box. Just be careful, I've read three stories on ECF of them catching on fire while charging or pushing them too hard.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Cheers dude, that's exactly what I run just now is the 24G 6 wrap dual. Just looking to try a few things and see what preferences work for me.

I'm running a SMOK M80 plus (from my understanding it's a pretty decent battery) and an infinite v3 up top
The v3 is a great RDA and happens to be one of the RDAs that I have juice in right now. Here is my current build:
F57CjFT.jpg

IainD1992

May 2, 2015
You have a VW mod so you don't really need to go that low (unless you're using the nickel wire for the temperature control which I really don't know much about). I would suggest 26g kanthal 9 wraps on a 3mm ID. Dual coils come out to 0.7Ω and it's one of the most flavorful builds I've ever had at 50W. Plus, higher ohms means more volts. I'm running it on a Magma.

An Infinite what? CLT?

Also, the M80 is a nice box. Just be careful, I've read three stories on ECF of them catching on fire while charging or pushing them too hard.

Yes it's the CLT found it easy enough to build on so far.

The one thing I need to practice is centering my could on the deck I seem to build them central to the two posts they run across instead of the centre post.

Again thanks for the help :)

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com

The one thing I need to practice is centering my could on the deck I seem to build them central to the two posts they run across instead of the centre post.

Yesh. There's a lot you can do with that RDA. However, if you're finding yourself wanting even more flavor, I would recommend the Magma. I love it, and the flavor is superb. There's all these new RDA's coming out with super reduced chambers, like the Derringer and Freakshow Mini, but I feel like theres a point where it goes too far and sacrifices some flavor. I didn't like it, that may just be me though. The Magma is like perfect.

IainD1992

May 2, 2015
Yesh. There's a lot you can do with that RDA. However, if you're finding yourself wanting even more flavor, I would recommend the Magma. I love it, and the flavor is superb. There's all these new RDA's coming out with super reduced chambers, like the Derringer and Freakshow Mini, but I feel like theres a point where it goes too far and sacrifices some flavor. I didn't like it, that may just be me though. The Magma is like perfect.

Thanks dude!

Just got my first dropper on Wednesday so went on shop recommendation of what they had in. I'm gonna run this for a while then check out other RDAs and get a couple of set ups running

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland

It can work either way, but for a center post build you just push it over to the center. I just center it by inserting the same screwdriver I used to wrap the coil and pushing it over. It makes it easier to make the most of the wicking and airflow.

Reactions: Travbud1

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ

If you're having problems centering your coils (it can be a pain sometimes) check out the dotmod Petri RDA. It only has 2 posts with 4 post holes

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Its not a "need". It just makes it easier to wick and leave airflow space underneath the coil.
I know? It just feels like the OP thinks it's a necessity. I actually used to prefer not having them centered on my Plume Veil. Found it had better flavor for some odd reason.

IainD1992

May 2, 2015

An Infinite what? CLT?

Ok seeing as you helped out and mentioned the M80 plus.

I had to take my first one back in, to start with I was getting no flavour from my draws.
guy in the shop said there was a battery failure (didn't explain what the failure was though.
now I've noticed I'm getting next to no flavour again.
but I have moved the wattage right the way from 20-80 and back down and the entire time I did that it stayed putting out 2.6volts?
Is the battery humped again?

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Ok seeing as you helped out and mentioned the M80 plus.

I had to take my first one back in, to start with I was getting no flavour from my draws.
guy in the shop said there was a battery failure (didn't explain what the failure was though.
now I've noticed I'm getting next to no flavour again.
but I have moved the wattage right the way from 20-80 and back down and the entire time I did that it stayed putting out 2.6volts?
Is the battery humped again?

Hmm, that doesn't sound like a battery failure. Your battery shouldn't have anything to do with flavor. If it was not producing vapor, then it could be the battery. If it's staying at 2.6V no matter what you do, that sounds like an issue with the chip itself and should definitely be brought in.

As for the flavor... What build do you have setup? And how much airflow do you have going?

IainD1992

May 2, 2015
Hmm, that doesn't sound like a battery failure. Your battery shouldn't have anything to do with flavor. If it was not producing vapor, then it could be the battery. If it's staying at 2.6V no matter what you do, that sounds like an issue with the chip itself and should definitely be brought in.

As for the flavor... What build do you have setup? And how much airflow do you have going?

It's a chip fault, ran it up to the shop today.
flavour is 100x better now that it's firing right.

Set up is just as shows in this pic

Dual coil kanthol, 6 wraps sitting at .25ohms with a space under the coil
airholes on outside are set so that the bottom runs just under the coil, middle bang on the coil and top just over.
any suggestions?

Attachments

• 1430734929358-1007999356.jpg
    1430734929358-1007999356.jpg
    805.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 1430734966044-1640505521.jpg
    1430734966044-1640505521.jpg
    842.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 1430735005983232483003.jpg
    1430735005983232483003.jpg
    801 KB · Views: 27
Status