Brand-new to e-cigarettes and need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

aschwartz

Mar 28, 2017
Hello everyone!
I recently took up smoking, but it's already causing an issue in my household because of the smell. I smoke very little (maybe 3 a day max), but I would like to branch out into the e-cig/vape world. I have questions, though...
Given that I don't smoke often, is there a cost efficient solution I can try? I've read up on disposables, but I don't know if that would work for what I want.
Can anyone give some recommendations? I'm totally new to this, so bear with me if I don't understand something.
Thanks!

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
Another small, simple and affordable starter device is the Joyetech Ego AOI. A couple bottles of liquid and a box of coils and you'd be well set up for your experiment.

*as a side note, when I started I needed to use the 1.0 ohm coils for that device, they don't come included in that resistance level with the starter kit. Your experience may vary.

Reactions: aschwartz

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Since you just "recently took up smoking (maybe 3 a day max)", the most "cost efficient solution" would be to just stop now! I don't mean to sound glib, but at least let us know what you're looking for in "branching out into the vape world?" And if you decide to continue smoking, start vaping, or both, your costs will certainly increase considerably more then those 3 smokes a day are costing you now.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Given that I don't smoke often, is there a cost efficient solution I can try? I've read up on disposables, but I don't know if that would work for what I want.

Welcome @aschwartz

The cost effective solution is more or less the same whether you want to vape 3-5 times a day or 33-55 times a day.
A good, refillable tank e-cig from one of the main Chinese hardware makes and some decent quality e-liquid from a reliable source.

Joyetech AIO, Eleaf iCare, Innokin T18, Kanger Top Evod - all possible choices.

Disposables could be expensive. Vaping a disposable can work for some people who don't mind the nasty flavors, minimal vapor and expense.

Just please don't fall for the marketing nonsense of the big brands. A big brand (fake reviews, fake websites reviews, exorbitant prices) will take your money in an instant. The top 'fake' best brand in the UK could easily cost $1,500 a year buying the refills and falling for the hype. It's a pathetic e-cigarette with no satisfaction or efficacy.

I know folk who run a Joyetech AIO or iStick for less than $10 a week. They vape like they smoked (15-30 a day)
You can probably make that $5 a week with low usage.

Again... please don't fall for the fake review brands. There are hundreds of fake review sites just itching to get their commission recommending you a $99 e-cig that is $25 on a normal hardware and juice website.

One of the most nefarious brands in the USA (I can't mention them) is top rated on all the websites that purport to help you decide which e-cig is best. Them and another nasty brand are all over the internet making out how special they are. Their specialty is taking people's money.
Some of the industry is a disgrace. Thank goodness for forums and social media.

Reactions: alienx4

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hello everyone!
I recently took up smoking, but it's already causing an issue in my household because of the smell. I smoke very little (maybe 3 a day max), but I would like to branch out into the e-cig/vape world. I have questions, though...
Can anyone give some recommendations? I'm totally new to this, so bear with me if I don't understand something.
Thanks!
Welcome and glad you joined. Would stay away from smoking, it can kill you quickly. I vape at zero nicotine because I enjoy the taste and have eliminated the addiction monkey on my back.
Might like to read:
VapeWild Test Results
As to the device:
vapetown
http://www.vaporauthority.com/pages/learn
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
One Stop Reference Shop For New and Experienced Vapers
Beginner – Guide To Vaping
http://www.smokingvapor.com/blog/2016/05/
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum

aschwartz

Mar 28, 2017
Since you just "recently took up smoking (maybe 3 a day max)", the most "cost efficient solution" would be to just stop now! I don't mean to sound glib, but at least let us know what you're looking for in "branching out into the vape world?" And if you decide to continue smoking, start vaping, or both, your costs will certainly increase considerably more then those 3 smokes a day are costing you now.
I took up smoking because I have some mental health issues and while my doctor and I find the right balance of prescriptions to help me long term, the cigarettes have helped me tremendously in the short-term. Previously I've used alcohol, but I don't want to go down that route ever again.
This is a last resort for me. I do just about everything else I can to alleviate some of my problems. If vaping can give a similar effect, that would be preferable. I'm ignorant on the topic, so I don't know if it's the nicotine that helps or some other effect by tobacco. I hope this makes things a little more clear.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Well e-Cigs allowed me to quit an almost 40 year Cigarette addiction. Notice I did not say nicotine because it was the 6,999 other chemicals in cigarettes that was the hardest to get passed the withdrawals. If your need there is plenty of people here willing to help you find the vape you are searching for! Myself included........

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I took up smoking because I have some mental health issues and while my doctor and I find the right balance of prescriptions to help me long term, the cigarettes have helped me tremendously in the short-term. Previously I've used alcohol, but I don't want to go down that route ever again.
This is a last resort for me. I do just about everything else I can to alleviate some of my problems. If vaping can give a similar effect, that would be preferable. I'm ignorant on the topic, so I don't know if it's the nicotine that helps or some other effect by tobacco. I hope this makes things a little more clear.

Thanks and I apologize for the intrusion into your personal life and health issues. As I have no expertise, or even any knowledge of your situation, I'll confine my comments to getting started with vaping.

First, and maybe most importantly, try your best to stay away from the smokes. From a 40+ year mostly heavy smoker, they are not your friend and once they get their hook in you (and believe me, they will), you will have another serious issue to deal with. Most here are vaping to eliminate that demon, so kick that aside A.S.A.P. Enough of the preaching.

I'm not sure what to suggest for your first gear. There are just so many options available today it's difficult to suggest for somebody quitting the smokes, let alone a non-smoker wanting to pick up vaping. If you know anybody that already vapes, perhaps they would let you try not only their set-up but a juice or two. If not, check for any vape shops you could visit. I have no idea where you live/work, but I'm very rural yet drive 100 miles to my vape shop. That way you can actually see, touch, and get information about various options. And if they allow trying flavors (some/many don't due to regs in USA), try some until you find a couple that work for you. Just remember, just because you "shopped" there does not obligate you to buy there. Find what you think you will like and then compare their price to online prices. If reasonably close, give them your business. It is always nice to have someplace to go for help or plain old vaping camaraderie. And IMHO, having a good juice is paramount to a successful entry into vaping.

If you unfortunately don't have either of those options, start looking online for what looks like will work for you. Then before you order, stop back here for opinions on what you are looking at. Maybe even do a lot of reading around here in any of the sub-forums for mods, tanks, and e-juice. I think you already got some not so supportive comments on the disposables you were looking at. For those of us trying to kick the smoking habit, they didn't fit the bill. I can't say for sure for a non-smoker, but think you can do better at the same monthly cost. Which brings me to my last point.....

"A cost efficient solution." I'm out of touch with "starter kits", but would think you could get set up with a couple re-chargeables, a couple tanks, some juice, and spare coils for $100 or a bit more depending. Since you are not quitting the smokes (in the normal sense), perhaps one set-up to try would let you try it out. I think you have already gotten a few suggestions, so check those out and see where they fit into your budget. If still unsure, come back with any further questions you may have.

Good luck and hope you can find something that works for you!

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
Without intruding into your health issues too much, you said smoking seems to help you while you are figuring out your medication protocols- you may want to do some research into the MAOI effect of cigarettes, I've seen it theorized that it is a major part of the cigarette addiction, more so than the nicotine. Just please, coming from a 25+ year smoker, don't take up with the cigarettes. If there was one thing I could go back in life and do over it would be to have never started smoking.

Reactions: OlderNDirt

aschwartz

Mar 28, 2017
Thanks and I apologize for the intrusion into your personal life and health issues. As I have no expertise, or even any knowledge of your situation, I'll confine my comments to getting started with vaping.

First, and maybe most importantly, try your best to stay away from the smokes. From a 40+ year mostly heavy smoker, they are not your friend and once they get their hook in you (and believe me, they will), you will have another serious issue to deal with. Most here are vaping to eliminate that demon, so kick that aside A.S.A.P. Enough of the preaching.

I'm not sure what to suggest for your first gear. There are just so many options available today it's difficult to suggest for somebody quitting the smokes, let alone a non-smoker wanting to pick up vaping. If you know anybody that already vapes, perhaps they would let you try not only their set-up but a juice or two. If not, check for any vape shops you could visit. I have no idea where you live/work, but I'm very rural yet drive 100 miles to my vape shop. That way you can actually see, touch, and get information about various options. And if they allow trying flavors (some/many don't due to regs in USA), try some until you find a couple that work for you. Just remember, just because you "shopped" there does not obligate you to buy there. Find what you think you will like and then compare their price to online prices. If reasonably close, give them your business. It is always nice to have someplace to go for help or plain old vaping camaraderie. And IMHO, having a good juice is paramount to a successful entry into vaping.

If you unfortunately don't have either of those options, start looking online for what looks like will work for you. Then before you order, stop back here for opinions on what you are looking at. Maybe even do a lot of reading around here in any of the sub-forums for mods, tanks, and e-juice. I think you already got some not so supportive comments on the disposables you were looking at. For those of us trying to kick the smoking habit, they didn't fit the bill. I can't say for sure for a non-smoker, but think you can do better at the same monthly cost. Which brings me to my last point.....

"A cost efficient solution." I'm out of touch with "starter kits", but would think you could get set up with a couple re-chargeables, a couple tanks, some juice, and spare coils for $100 or a bit more depending. Since you are not quitting the smokes (in the normal sense), perhaps one set-up to try would let you try it out. I think you have already gotten a few suggestions, so check those out and see where they fit into your budget. If still unsure, come back with any further questions you may have.

Good luck and hope you can find something that works for you!

I want to thank you so much for your responses. This is a subject I knew nothing on, and I am so glad I came here to ask for advice.
Thank you for being so detailed and thoughtful in your replies, OlderNDirt. I have a better understanding how this works, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain things to me.

Thanks to everyone that responded and gave opinions. I value all of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread