Brand new TOPBOX Mini Issues + Sony VTC 4 explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan3091

May 2, 2016
My old device was the Subox Mini from Kangertech and the Sony VTC 4 I got from myfreedomsmokes vented (and almost exploded) when I put the battery in the device. It leaked acid all over my device and ruined it, I only had it for about a month too. I think the battery vented because the casing peeled off (even though it was only peeled a tiny bit like the size of a pinhead). Not to rant, but I think they should wrap the batteries better considering I could have lost my hand and / or face from it, and the LG HG2 is not wrapped any better. That's just normal wear and tear from taking the battery in and out. Vendors that sell batteries need to start wrapping them better.

^ Is there any sort of protection I can get for my batteries? It'll only happen again when the battery is taken in and out of my device.

Now I have another problem which is even more frustrating.

I got brand new LG HG2 batteries with a case and everything to protect them and a new TOPBOX Mini 75W TC Mod and I'm already having problems with it. It keeps asking me if I'm using a new atomizer while vaping on it. I selected Yes and I'll get 3, 4, 5, maybe 50+ puffs before it says the same thing again 'New Atomizer?' ugh.

Sometimes I can only take a couple hits before it reads 9.99ohms and then it asks me if it's a new atomizer. I tried a new coil Kangertech OCC 0.5ohm and it now it's just more rare to get that message but I'm still getting it once in a while. Very annoying. The shop I bought it from is going to want to see that error to return the device and it only happens once in a while.

Is the TOPBOX Mini a poorly built mod? And before anyone asks, it is authentic as I have the code to check.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
Wraps will always eventually get damaged, it is up to you the end consumer to care for the batteries now that they are in your hands. Please do not blame others for your roughness with the battery causing nics in the wrap.

To "restore" some reassurance of saftey, please order some new wraps for the battery(s) and safely apply them.

$1.29 18650 Battery Sleeve PVC Heat Shrinkable Tube Wrap (50-Pack) (18650, 72*30mm, Blue, 50-Pack) at m.FastTech.com

This is one "vendor" that carries spare tubing/wrapps.

Ryan3091

May 2, 2016
It's up to the user to ensure their batteries are in good condition. Any tearing of the wrapping, no matter how small, is cause for rewrapping or disposal. Never use a battery that has a torn wrap.

Yeah. The guy at the shop I go to said he rewraps the batteries. I'm extremely careful when taking the batteries in and out of my device now.

I don't know what to do about the TOPBOX and this error message I'm getting. I wish I can use the USB port to update the firmware.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Is the TOPBOX Mini a poorly built mod? And before anyone asks, it is authentic as I have the code to check.

This might be way wrong, but how well do you screw the tank down onto the mod? Asking if you have a new atomizer presumably happens when the mod thinks you have put on a new one. You shouldn't force the tank down, but the connection needs to be stable. A loose tank might not be stable.

Also (and again, thinking out loud) the SOCC is Kanthal and the new atomizer question (in the past) was related to 'locking/reading' the resistance on temperature control coils.

Happy to be off the mark with these questions, maybe someone will correct me.

Ryan3091

May 2, 2016
This might be way wrong, but how well do you screw the tank down onto the mod? Asking if you have a new atomizer presumably happens when the mod thinks you have put on a new one. You shouldn't force the tank down, but the connection needs to be stable. A loose tank might not be stable.

Also (and again, thinking out loud) the SOCC is Kanthal and the new atomizer question (in the past) was related to 'locking/reading' the resistance on temperature control coils.

Happy to be off the mark with these questions, maybe someone will correct me.

The tank is screwed onto the mod tightly and loosening it doesn't stop the error. It seems to think I'm taking the tank off and attaching it again.

Edit: It also seems to be reading my 0.5ohm coil as 0.87ohm

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
The tank is screwed onto the mod tightly and loosening it doesn't stop the error. It seems to think I'm taking the tank off and attaching it again.

Edit: It also seems to be reading my 0.5ohm coil as 0.87ohm

0.87 is out of the normal band for an acceptable reading, I must say.
Some cleaning as @medleypat says would be worth a try.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
My old device was the Subox Mini from Kangertech and the Sony VTC 4 I got from myfreedomsmokes vented (and almost exploded) when I put the battery in the device. It leaked acid all over my device and ruined it, I only had it for about a month too. I think the battery vented because the casing peeled off (even though it was only peeled a tiny bit like the size of a pinhead). Not to rant, but I think they should wrap the batteries better considering I could have lost my hand and / or face from it, and the LG HG2 is not wrapped any better. That's just normal wear and tear from taking the battery in and out. Vendors that sell batteries need to start wrapping them better.

^ Is there any sort of protection I can get for my batteries? It'll only happen again when the battery is taken in and out of my device.

Now I have another problem which is even more frustrating.

I got brand new LG HG2 batteries with a case and everything to protect them and a new TOPBOX Mini 75W TC Mod and I'm already having problems with it. It keeps asking me if I'm using a new atomizer while vaping on it. I selected Yes and I'll get 3, 4, 5, maybe 50+ puffs before it says the same thing again 'New Atomizer?' ugh.

Sometimes I can only take a couple hits before it reads 9.99ohms and then it asks me if it's a new atomizer. I tried a new coil Kangertech OCC 0.5ohm and it now it's just more rare to get that message but I'm still getting it once in a while. Very annoying. The shop I bought it from is going to want to see that error to return the device and it only happens once in a while.

These latest KangerTech mods and tanks are the most resold on my Facebook Vape group, so what I get from that is that it appears that lots of people aren't that happy with them.

And I just had the same happen to me this weekend.... my battery was frayed a bit, but as I placed it in my mod, it got caught on the top contact pin, ripping the wrap and bent the isolating ring, and with a very quick flash (spark), I yanked it out but the damage was done and the battery vented, but I was fast enough that my mod is fine. The battery oozed chemicals that smelled like nail polish remover, and I didn't risk it.. I rewrapped it to make it "safe" but didn't do anything with it and asked (did a thread about it) about the situation and if that battery was a goner (and it was). I brought in to the store for disposal and got new ones and a bunch of wraps. The moment any battery has ANY rips in the wrap, I will never take a chance again. I didn't know or expect how instant a short would be, and now that I know I really urge everyone to rewrap right away.

Question about re-wrapping batteries..when its time to re-wrap them, should I remove the damaged/flawed wrap, or can wrap it over the original wrapper?

Yes... otherwise it will be in the way and the new wrap might not hold properly.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Yeah. The guy at the shop I go to said he rewraps the batteries. I'm extremely careful when taking the batteries in and out of my device now.

I don't know what to do about the TOPBOX and this error message I'm getting. I wish I can use the USB port to update the firmware.
If your device is reading the ohms wrong and is still under warranty by the shop then take the device back and show them it is reading the ohms wrong. They should also be able to help you with any other issues. Could you have a TC coil in and using it on wattage or vice versa. take it back to the shop and have them either fix the issue or replace it. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread