Brass Screen Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stric9

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2009
Fort Mill, SC
If the brass is turning any color whatsoever.. It must be the wrong type of alloy and should be removed.
Admittedly the first experiments with the brass screen I was doing was in a non-conventional fashion. A couple of months ago I started experimenting with using a stun gun as an atomizer. Everyone was scrambling to find a way to build an atomizer in case of a ban back then. But the vapor from the mock up did not smell like something you would dare inhale (really bad smell). I assumed it was the melting poly-fil and substituted the brass screen. But the smell remained. In order to determine what was causing the "smell" I chucked the screen up in a regular atty and it was good. So good in fact, I kept using it. Later on this forum I read that VG will turn in to arcoline? (toxic) if heated above a certain temperature.
The original brass screen I have has not discolored. But the ones I made with screens I bought on ebay have. I thought the originals were pipe screens but now I'm not so certain.
The brass on the atty and battery are not affected because they are using a specific alloy.

PS - Stay away from the stun gun atty deal...LOL

Respects

Last edited:

Master_Vapor

Aug 29, 2009

I tried both techniques by rhoneil. I think I may be doing it wrong, or I am using smaller screens. in both cases they leaked pretty bad. I will try using 4 screens in the future.

Tried the original and it works quite well. The only draw back is I can not fill the cart by simply dripping. The screens will take around 6 drops and then it will pool. Basically the screen is not releasing the fluid into the bottom of the cart. I removed the screen and filled the cart with about 12 drops, and then placed the screen back in. This is working quite well.

Thanks to the OP. I found the PTB mod OK, but I still had to top off with this mod.

Shake the cart is if it were a thermometer. Like you are "shaking" the mercury back to the end. Carefully, or you'll make a mess.

Master_Vapor

Aug 29, 2009
Hello all,

On the Light green build up on your screens. I would suggest that you check to make sure you got Brass screens, Not copper wire screen. Copper will oxidize to a light green color.

I’m sure smoke shops carry varying “grades” of “brass” screen. If you want to be sure though head down to the local hard ware store. Get the brass faucet screens. I’m sure they are more expensive than $0.10 for five. I’ll find out tomorrow. But it will be a much better grade of brass.

Stric9 thanks for sharing the mod. I’m looking forward to trying it.:lol:

Sorry folks but as a 22yr vet I have to pass this on to all who will read and truly see our world for what it is.:mad:

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his own web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00 hrs, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?":evil:

-NousDefionsDoc

"A man who has nothing to live for, does not fear death". "Give him a reason to live and you have lost your best weapon".

Master_Vapor

Aug 29, 2009
I'm wondering if a stainless screen might be better?

Brass is an alloy of Copper and Zinc. The 'green' you see is corrosion from the metals (called verdigris). This is going into your liquid, and you are bringing it into your lungs. Personally, I have worries about toxicity of these metals. Would we get that much from brass screen? I don't know (but I don't think I want to risk that).

Another thing to consider is that cooks know that copper pans are lined with lead because the copper can potentially interact with acidic ingredients to be toxic. It is my understanding that many of these e-liquids have citric acid in them. I'd think there could be a possible interaction with the juice and the brass?

Perhaps it might be a better idea to find a fine stainless steel (food or medical grade?) screen to try since the idea in general seems to be a winner?

Vape safely!

I agree with you 100% about the stainless screen thought. At first, I was (and still) am happy with the brass. I've yet so "see green" where I was quite ...... at the taste of burnt poly. Knowing that the poly was NOT burning....just crappy tasting. At the end of the day, I'm sure all of us can agree that "whatever" is better than the poison we were used to. When it comes to water interacting with brass, well, at 3% water in smoke juice, it's quite less than most brass sees in a boat. At 5 cents, it's less than wool (poly). Although tougher to work with. I still will look for stainless, but at $2 a pound, brass is still cheaper than FLUVAL! 8-o I have 4 dozen fine JC 801 carts, and I can't stand them after 10 hits. The "brass" is like Maxwell House. Good to the last drop!:D

yknotagain

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2009
Kenosha, WI
THIS IS INSANE! After reading about this I ordered a 100 pack off ebay for $5.45 and free shipping. Today I used the rosebud method to make one for an 810. It took 7 3/4" screens, but WOW. It been vaping like a champ with excellent wicking. This far surpasses the PTB and foam mods I tried earlier.

My PT used to get very warm - now it seems to stay cool no matter how heavy I hit it. Now I need to roll a couple more for my JS and my CALM.

MrKai

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2009
Alameda County, CA
...I found I had overall better results across the board by following the following steps, tho YMMV:

1. Pull screens into oblong/oval shape
2. fray edges
3. cut in half lengthwise
4. fray cut edge
5. form "cup/bowl" shape, frayed edges up
6. snip bottom, fray a bit more, loosely wad and stuff into cart as essentially, brass/metal "polyfill"

7. Enjoy

-K

baby driver

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
Sunny CA
www.myspace.com
Indeed! My nest step it to figure how to add monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI's) and adjust the PH in the nic juice. I have been reading LOTS of info on just "why" cigarette smokers are SO addicted to cigarettes. Pipe and cigar smokers have never "climbed the walls"! (Read the link in the subject line) I still can't post hyperlinks....yet...:mad:

Rather than adjust the pH, you might try the Magic Mask from Flavourart.it

It reduces the acid receptors on the tongue and softens the acid flavor without changing the pH. I love it.

Quitter

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Cleveland, OH
...I found I had overall better results across the board by following the following steps, tho YMMV:

1. Pull screens into oblong/oval shape
2. fray edges
3. cut in half lengthwise
4. fray cut edge
5. form "cup/bowl" shape, frayed edges up
6. snip bottom, fray a bit more, loosely wad and stuff into cart as essentially, brass/metal "polyfill"

7. Enjoy

-K

Mr Kai
Are you doing this on an 801 cart?

Master_Vapor

Aug 29, 2009
Rather than adjust the pH, you might try the Magic Mask from Flavourart.it

It reduces the acid receptors on the tongue and softens the acid flavor without changing the pH. I love it.

Hmmm...that's a thought, however, I feel no need. I have been "smoke free" for almost a month now. I'm just trying to "vape" without the "poly-burnt" taste. The Brass Screen mod seems to have done it, yet I am worried about the "green" that I have yet to see.

Although I don't fully understand the properties of how brass reacts to "heat and water", I know full well that the "heat" generated in an e-cig is NO where near the heat generated in the asss end of a tobacco pipe. I will say, the "taste" of my e-juice is SO much better than is was with poly alone. I'd fill a brand new poly cart, and 10 drags later I was furious at the taste. I'd place 7 more drops of e-juice to "re-wet" the poly, and 10 drags later I was tasting "burnt chemical plant fire". So far, I have been using 3 brass screens as a "cap" (top plug) over the Pyramid Tea Bag insert. There is a tad of "leakage", but nothing to write home about. When I add juice to the top of the brass in the cart, it is as slow to soak as if it were poly. When I turn it upside down, the juice remains. The taste is "consistent", and NO nic juice in my mouth. Keep in mind, I'm using a PTB (tea bag) with the brass screens (3) as a top "plug". I will try 5 brass screens (as a replacement for the wool) and the three brass screens as the "cap" next. At the end of the day, it's all about drawing fluid from the cart to the atty. There are ppl who "drip" directly on their atty, then they complain about having to replace their atty every month. I'll be the 1st to say I'm a "new-bee" when it comes to vaping, but consider this...what happens to a carburetor when you "flood" it? I'm an ASE certified mechanic, and have rebuilt hundreds of carburetors. Not ONE needed to be "flooded"! In fact, that's why most needed to be rebuilt! The electronic cigarette uses an "atomizer". The automobile uses a carburetor. They both do the same thing. Atomize!! So when you pour fuel down the carburetor (drip directly on your atty), you are _______ing it up. I could ramble on about this, but if I did, you will conclude that the 100 mile per gallon carburetor could have happened if you were to totally "vaporize" gasoline before it entered the combustion chamber. (450 degrees F) That was Smokey Yunick's idea. Google him. As well as "adiabatic". Now, if we could bring diesel fuel to it's "flash point", we could break the 100 mile per gallon thought by an extra 100 miles per gallon! But, NO! If you did, you would be murdered so fast by all who would lose money....there was a guy in the state of Mississippi, who powered his house and 5 neighbors for almost a decade for FREE by an invention that was no more than "rotating magnets". He brought his idea (invention) to Congress to get a "patent". He PROVED his idea before Congress, yet was DENIED a patent. The politicians said, "There is no such thing as perpetual motion". (which is what his invention was based upon) Even though he had been powering his neighbors for free. Sorry....he was either well paid or made quite dead. I had a 1982 VW diesel rabbit that got 56 MPG. Do they now? NO! Why?? Because......and I'll let you answer.

I have run TOO much at the fingers. There has to be at least ONE person on Earth to either agree, or challenge.

At the end of the day, do NOT pour Nic-E-Juice on your atomizer. Unless, you like buying them, when you can, after the soon to be FDA ban!

As for the thought of "green" problems with the brass screens, well...OK. That might become a problem. If I were vaping "salt water".
If I had enough money, I would "test" brass screens, to see if they would indeed become harmful. Although, in the "boat" world, brass seems to win out over stainless steel. Perhaps "Brass" is nicer looking than SS. Who knows. 80% of all drinking water is piped via copper. Lead is out of the question, except for paint on toys from China, and of course Sulfur Dioxid in Chinese drywall (sheetrock). Then again, we all have to eat....and yet almost ignore the ingredients. So, if I found a spot of "green" on my brass screen, I have 2 choices. Replace it, or sterilize it. The 2nd is probably better. I should have sterilized the first one! Geezzz... worry not...until you light up an "analog cigarette". For if you do, you may as well go to a high end restaurant and order, Lead Paint over rotten cow, and broken mercury thermometers with your shrimp appraiser. GLHM! (Good Lord Have Mercy) I'm Laffin, but I should not!

My father died from prostate cancer in 94. He smoked since he was 14 (born in 1929). He STOPPED smoking cigs 10 years (1984) and chewed the nic gum till the day he died. 1/1/94. My mother was lucky. She smoked since she was 12 years of age. Her 10 pound ovarian cancer was "removable". She looked 9 months pregnant for 2 years. She too chewed the nic gum to the end. I would be considered the "luckiest". I was born in 1960 and given no hope to live. I had asthma like no other. Thanks Mom, for smoking 3 packs a day during your pregnancy with me. I was in the ER 3 times a month. When I was 12, I was almost 6' tall, but weighed 110 pounds. Yet my parents smoked until the walls were yellow. When I was 21, I met a HOT woman that was a smoker. Sure enough, I became a smoker, where as I had never been! 20 years later, I found what I had hoped for my parents. The E-Cig.

I grew up in a time line where 3 out of 4 Doctors recommended 2 or 3 brands of cigarettes. Where Sunday's "Meet The Press" was so smoke filled, you weren't able to count the olives in their Martini drinks in full view of the TV camera that weighed 300 pounds.

I've often thought "I'll never be old and wise". ...I have some news for you all. I am now both. Unfortunately, I have never been a "people person". I'll try, but no, I will fail at being a ppl person.

Whilst you laugh at my VERY long post, I do hope you have taken in at least some of it, and give some for thought.

BTW....the brass screen still rocks! WoW!:shock:

TheGreen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Great post Master_Vapor.
These brass screens are great. I did have a lot of leakage with the original mod, but am now using the "rose" mod. Still leaks a bit but I am going to perfect this mod by adding an extra screen or 3. I am using this in my 510. I want to get it right before using it in my 801. Holds a lot more juice and that will get messy.

I am searching the web for brass screen mesh sheets so I am not restricted to using these little circles of brass. Not sure what the wire diameter is so this is a little difficult. If anyone has found any, please let us know.

Again, props to Stric9 for finding this mod,

TheGreen

Hmmm...that's a thought, however, I feel no need. I have been "smoke free" for almost a month now. I'm just trying to "vape" without the "poly-burnt" taste.

Stehle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Sunny Florida! U.S.A.
I'll let you answer.

I have run TOO much at the fingers. There has to be at least ONE person on Earth to either agree, or challenge.

Whilst you laugh at my VERY long post, I do hope you have taken in at least some of it, and give some for thought.

BTW....the brass screen still rocks! WoW!:shock:

Awesome post! :) A very good read! :)

I totaly agree! ;)

(Nice topic save swinging back to brass screens.) :D

Stric9

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2009
Fort Mill, SC
Master_Vapor!!
Nice.. I can always pick up on a guy who's spun a wrench or two...Heh, Heh, Heh.
You are indeed right on point with your post. Been into many Carters and Holleys myself.
My grandfather smoked Prince Albert in the can. His fingers were brown clear up to his knuckles.
It's nice to see a fellow gear head here.

Respects

Stric9

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2009
Fort Mill, SC
Stric: I am trying this for the first time. (brass screen) How long do they last befor they have to be replaced?

Normally I'd say forever but it seems as if it will depend on the alloy of brass you are using. I would check it frequently at first with a magnifying glass and change it (or clean it) if you see some tarnish beginning to form. After that you should be able to figure out a regular cleaning schedule.
The only reason I'm suggesting this is I have one pair of screens that are tarnish free going on 2 months but I purchased some screens from ebay that tarnished in 2 weeks.

Hope this helps!

Respects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread