Brown liquid blown out of atomizer - Innokin Lea

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebt

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2012
Budapest, Hungary
Hi

I'm using innokin Lea 800 atomizers (picture here: Cartomisers and Atomisers - LEA 800 Atomisers - LEA 800 Atomizer Silver - 2 Pack).

They always work great new from the pack. I'm using them with an Innokin Leo Pro battery.

Within a few weeks, though, this happens:

- Taste disappears. I still get vapour, but it tastes of nothing.
- I can see e-liquid, with some brown contaminant (liquid is brown-coloured) sitting on the battery contact when I unscrew the atty. (I wipe it off, obviously).
- The liquid in the small plastic tank is also contaminated with brown.

I've tried these solutions:
1. Blowing the atty out onto some tissue (more brown liquid), and wiping the inside with a tissue.
2. Cleaning the atty by putting it in a beaker of isopropyl alcohol, putting the beaker in a bowl, and filling the bowl with boiling water to heat the alcohol. This makes brown stuff (this time, clearly particulate rather than just liquid) seep out of the atty. I then let the atty dry, and then soak some juice through it for about an hour before using it again.

Neither of these work reliably. Both of them can make the atty work a bit better for a short while, but not for long. I would just throw the attys away, but I think 2 weeks of use is a bit rubbish for an atty that costs (GBP)£7.00 per piece.

I think that liquid is seeping into the atty on either side of the "spike" that holds the wick. There's a rubbery grommet that closes the tank, and it has a hole in it for the atty "spike". The hole gets worn out by repeated removal/replacement of the tank from the atty for refilling, and I think this is what lets the liquid into the wrong place. I've tried using new tanks to avoid this, but it inevitably happens, within weeks.

So I hope someone can help me with these questions:
1. What is this brown stuff, and is it harmful?
2. How can I make my attys last longer?
3. Is this kind of useful life normal or acceptable for atomizers?
4. Am I using a good method to clean them? (I don't have access to any kind of ultrasound machine, BTW!)

thanks!

MasterofNone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
New York
Ok so a) don't use isopropyl, as a rule: it's harmful to you. And as for the brown... Have you ever used a genesis style atomizer? With stainless steel mesh wick? The same thing happens to the liquid. I don't know this particular atty but I know stainless steel mesh does this, so that's probably what's in your atty. stop using poison to clean it and the flavor might return : ) soak it in water for half hour to an hour, blow out, either dry burn or let it sit for a few hours, than prime and vape. Hope this helped!

Tim DQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread