Building a Homemade Atomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenez

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
N.Y
the cold heat soldering gun operates with a graphite or athalite tip it is a proprietary material but me and my brother have been kicking around the idea of taking one apart and seeing how it would work because that material heats and cools so fast that it would lend itself to e cigarettes nicely.I was also thinking that maybe the whole idea of a coil might be the problem, why not just some kind of very small heating pot? I'm not sure how this would work or if it could be brought up to temp. But it is a thought.

enfurno

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
Las Vegas
www.majorvapor.com
I've been thinking about this. There is quite a bit of helpful information here, but I think the materials are just as important as the design.

What about some sort of superfine stainless steel mesh cone? Stainless is fairly strong, in fact I have a strainer made of similar stuff that I am thinking of. I'm no expert but I've seen many a wood smoker built with stainless and some of those bbq smokers get pretty damn hot.

Anyway, my idea is derived from the zero filler mod.

If a proper plug could be made, that guaranteed no leak but still allowed the pointed tip of the cone to expose some of the fluid then I think that it would work, given that the mesh cone was fine enough to "absorb". Realistically it doesn't absorb anything, but it you have seen it in action with water it creates sort of a stream along the surface.

Below the cone could be the wire heater, using some of these ideas based around resistance a coil could fill say the bottom half of the cone. Giving the element enough surface area to effectively heat the entire cone, vaping a larger amount of liquid with none of the mess.

Any thoughts?

jdw650

Dec 29, 2009
Sacramento, CA
I hear that the metal used to make the coil of an atomizer degrades with each use. then with build up on the coil it stretches and eventually snaps. What if they used a stronger metal for the core of the coil and surrounded that metal with the metal used to make the coil. Would we have a stonger coil? One that would last a lot longer.

embryo

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2009
west of Ft. Worth, Texas, USA
It looks like this topic has died, but I think it has enough merit to breath some life back into it.

When I started looking into this, I was thinking a ptc (positive temperature coefficient) ceramic element was the answer. Now I think that's overkill.

Here's where I'm at now, and I welcome any advice or feedback:

A small nichrome wire loop (30-35 gauge) could be heated with a standard 9v battery. Temperatures well in excess of 300F could easily be achieved depending on the current/resistance tuning, a small nichrome loop could reach that temperature using less than 15mA draw from the battery. The 9v should have enough juice (~500mAh) to power the thing for 30 hours or more.

As a 30 year, metal-head guitar player I can say that 9 volts batteries COST TOO MUCH!

Brandnew vper

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2010
BATAVIA, NY
Well i was readin through thinking about homemade atomizers i had a thought about the vaporizer i made years ago. I made it to vap my marajuana at the time. I was in college so (getting high a lot). But i also remebered that i still had it in my basement i made it out of a paint can apickle jar and a soldering iron with a hose. So i went down there brought it back to life. i threw in some juice where the jane would go and and plugged it in i remember how hot the iron got wow it vaped my 24mlg flavored tabacco and holy .... i got tons of vapor tons! i really woulnt have thought that would work so well.

If anyone is interested i can show you how to make one and post a vid. Or make a new how to post and write out the steps let me know?
:)

carol

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2009
netherlands
There is a Dutch poster (don't know if he posts here) he goes by the name of "....selpeter".
He has made many of them.

I have seen him post on other forums in english though.
Maybe you can find him.
PM me I can give you some sites where I know he does post.
I don't know if I'm allowed to post those links here.[/QUOT

I think you mean Knutselpeter, there's an other guy in Holland that's makes his own atomizers, you can see it on the Dutch forum

Windsage

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2010
Florida
Guys. The technology used in E-Cigs is actually from fog machines. Those heat a metal plate and drip the juice onto the plate. In KR808's there is a small wire. This can be ni-chrome or tungsten. Basically a resistance heater element. The real problem to overcome is temperature control and heat up time.

To make a good atomizer, you need fast heat up. This means small heater with low mass. Small gauge wire is likely the best choice. For some great examples look at the instant on soldering irons.

From a safety standpoint, you need temperature control. This gets tricky. Depending on the juice, you need to achieve about 300 degrees. If you get too hot, PG will breakdown into toxic fumes. You Never want to burn PG.

One way to achieve temperature control is to limit the current flow. This is what most manufacturers are doing. This also means that is you get too much liquid on the wire, you don't get enough power to work well.

As far as materials go, you need high temp. There is a material called PPS that is used in high temperature filtration that can be bought cheaply as a felted material instead of woven. PPS is good to 500F. Above that, you are pretty much stuck with fiberglass, metals, or ceramics. Fiberglass is actually a good material up to 500F, but wicks poorly. Ceramic could be good for winding your wire around and can be made porous for wicking, but would be more expensive.

A wire wrapped around a fiberglass rod inside a fiberglass sleeve surrounded by filler is basically a KR cartomizer. The guys making these things have obviously been thinking about them a while.

Kelemvor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Germany NRW
. Above that, you are pretty much stuck with fiberglass, metals, or ceramics. Fiberglass is actually a good material up to 500F, but wicks poorly. Ceramic could be good for winding your wire around and can be made porous for wicking, but would be more expensive.

A wire wrapped around a fiberglass rod inside a fiberglass sleeve surrounded by filler is basically a KR cartomizer. The guys making these things have obviously been thinking about them a while.

not true, and if the dutch guy is the same i have in mind ( Jan ? ), he uses the Genesis Atomizer concept of the german modder Raidy which uses a coil wrapped around a oxidized stainless steel mesh, the end of the mesh dips right into the liquid tank.

very cool base idea and so much about that you can't use metal as the wick for the coil.

the currently smallest version is a modded throw away lighter with 10440 battery.

no plastic, no burned up fibres and the coil is plugged in btw.

if i wouldn't be too lazy to try to build my own. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread