Building a vape organizer/stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiceBurner95

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2014
Leeds, AL
I have a friend who also vapes, and I figured I would make him an organizer to pay him back for all of the good food he cooks when I'm over on the weekends to hang out. Building it out of Ambrosia Maple and stainless steel hardware. It'll be 3 tiers, will hold 11 atomizers and will have holes to store 6 batteries and an assortment of screw drivers. It will also have some flat areas to simply stand up mods to keep them off the table.

Everything is cut, most of the holes are drilled, and all I lack now is a few more coats of finish and assembly.

This is roughly the layout, though the top tier isn't positioned correctly in the picture, and the holes aren't drilled at this point.

dQushBP.jpg

This is the base layer with the first coat of finish applied. I will apply 5 or 6 coats in total, and it should come out glass smooth and glossy.

aUIOXBv.jpg

I will post more pictures later. I should be mostly finished with it tomorrow. I like it so much, I may use the left over wood to make myself a smaller one. In the future, I'll change the design, as I don't quite like it as much as I did on paper. But it's my first try, so that's to be expected.

RiceBurner95

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2014
Leeds, AL
Thanks. Not my first rodeo :D I'm a self employed woodworker. Mostly build furniture and refinish and repurpose old pieces. I had toyed with the idea of making and selling some similar to this in my spare time, but it would mostly be a labor of love. Looking around at other available organizers, there wouldn't be much profit in it if I priced them competitively. Granted, most of the ones I've seen priced under $50 aren't made all that well, and use pretty basic materials. I may make a few and see if they sell, and see if I can get enough for them to be worth the time to make them. By the time I'm done, I'll have about 5 hours in labor, not including the time to apply finish. Though I'll get faster the more times I do it, and if I build some jigs for repeatability it'll be even faster.

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
I have a friend who also vapes, and I figured I would make him an organizer to pay him back for all of the good food he cooks when I'm over on the weekends to hang out. Building it out of Ambrosia Maple and stainless steel hardware. It'll be 3 tiers, will hold 11 atomizers and will have holes to store 6 batteries and an assortment of screw drivers. It will also have some flat areas to simply stand up mods to keep them off the table.

Everything is cut, most of the holes are drilled, and all I lack now is a few more coats of finish and assembly.

This is roughly the layout, though the top tier isn't positioned correctly in the picture, and the holes aren't drilled at this point.

dQushBP.jpg

This is the base layer with the first coat of finish applied. I will apply 5 or 6 coats in total, and it should come out glass smooth and glossy.

aUIOXBv.jpg

I will post more pictures later. I should be mostly finished with it tomorrow. I like it so much, I may use the left over wood to make myself a smaller one. In the future, I'll change the design, as I don't quite like it as much as I did on paper. But it's my first try, so that's to be expected.

Me like it!

Don't forget to post pictures when all the way done!!!

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
actually I like the offset stairstep design, the top section and second section could be drilled to hold tall mods securely, the open areas of step 2 and 1 ( middle and bottom) could be drilled ( Forstner) to hold atties and bottles, maybe even some spare batteries and drip tips.

RiceBurner95

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2014
Leeds, AL
actually I like the offset stairstep design, the top section and second section could be drilled to hold tall mods securely, the open areas of step 2 and 1 ( middle and bottom) could be drilled ( Forstner) to hold atties and bottles, maybe even some spare batteries and drip tips.
That was roughly my initial plan. But I've had some equipment problems and have had to change that and go with a much more watered down design on this one. My drill press is having some issues with the motor and is way down on torque. Until I get a new one, I can't drill anything large. Tried a 1" forstner and a 1" auger bit for the atomizer holes, but it kept stalling the drill and wouldn't cut through. Now I've just gone with holes large enough to stick the 510 connectors down into, and the atomizers rest on top. Not nearly as stable, but it'll have to work. Both upper tiers are just atomizer holes, and a separate block on the base has holes for batteries and screw drivers. Even drilling the 3/4" holes for the batteries with a hole saw on the press barely worked out. I would have used a hand drill, but I wanted all of the holes to be perfectly vertical and square to the face.

Just put on the last coat of wiping poly earlier, and once it cures for a day or two I'll rub it out to a semi gloss sheen. Should be glass smooth.

TypPFcX.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread