Building my first Unregulated Box... Advise and benefits from series to Parallel??

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
So I bought all the stuff to make an unregulated mosfet box, and now Im trying to decide if I should build a parallel or a series box... Im going to be wiring it with 12G wire, but I was wondering what the benefits of building parallel or series would be. The batteries will be VCT-4s. IM looking for something that I can use for huge clouds. I have wiring diagrams for both, just looking for pro and cons of each. I currently have a few single 18650 mechs, and an ipv4.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
Hammond box, Fatdaddy spring 510, antivandal switch, mosfet and a dual 18650 tray. I know 12g is over kill, but I figure why not. perhaps I will have less voltage drop that way. :) And I have a lot of it around here. I use it for speaker wire in my car and bought a large spool last time I did an install. Granted it means all the wire will be the same color inside, but it will look uniform! Just realized I dont have a micro switch to use as a internal kill switch, and my voltmeter and magnets arent here yet. The box is already here, and the rest of the parts will be here tomorrow when I get home from work.

so with paralell I can build lower, but I will have a little longer ramp up, right? Im ok with that. And if I find later that I want the voltage, I can just build another one!

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
If you use a micro for on off then just put it in line with the gate on the mosfet. It doesn't carry a lot of current. It wont actually shut it of but it wont fire. You can get ready because I started like that. Just going to build me a box. Then a triple 18650 then a series box then an sx350 then and so on. Its addictive.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
well, a little update. The box is dont and working pretty good. I ordered a Hammond B box, so the thing is a littl elarger than I wanted. Didnt really notice it until it wa built and I was vaping on it all day long. But it works well. Now I placed an order on Digikey for all the parts needed to make a Raptor box. And I got a printed PCB to build it on. the whole thig is designed to fit in a HammondG series, and I found a company that CNC machines teh boxes so I wont have the Hammnd Lean going with ths one. Hope to have it done in the next couple weeks depending on when teh PCB is printed and shipped. I could only order the PCB in multiples of 3, so i am going to have a couple extras...

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
Yup. Osh park. I ordered the V3 board by Dickbuttmods. then got on their Facebook page and saw they have a new V4 board... So the idiot in my ordered one of them as well. Going to be using the Raptor 20a board that puts out 120 watts. The box will be from AlpineTech, their 1590g+. I believe it adds a couple millimeters to the dimensions of the G for just a tad more clearance.

Wow. Just reread my last post. Thinking I need to double check that my spellchecker is working...

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
And the raptor is alive and kicking fantastically. So much so that it has replaced my IPV4 as my daily use mod. It was a trick getting it al fit inside the box, but Im happy with it. So much so that I bought all the stuff to build another one, but am custom making a wooden box to put it in. Ill take pics of the second build as I assemble it and make a new thread with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread