Building with SS316L vs Kanthal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohid

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2016
Pakistan
Hi all. I'm currently vaping at 0.5-0.7ohms with kanthal. I'm thinking of getting some SS316L wire and try TC or just use it in wattage mode. I want to know which gauge to buy. I use 26g kanthal for my builds. However SS316L has lower resistance and higher gauge will be needed for same ohms. But I don't want to decrease vapor production. For that purpose, should I be aiming for same gauge or same resistance (and higher gauge) for SS316L as to Kanthal for similar vapor production?

Thanks in advance.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Hi all. I'm currently vaping at 0.5-0.7ohms with kanthal. I'm thinking of getting some SS316L wire and try TC or just use it in wattage mode. I want to know which gauge to buy. I use 26g kanthal for my builds. However SS316L has lower resistance and higher gauge will be needed for same ohms. But I don't want to decrease vapor production. For that purpose, should I be aiming for same gauge or same resistance (and higher gauge) for SS316L as to Kanthal for similar vapor production?

Thanks in advance.
The same coil mass, and heat flux, is what you should be going for so use the same gauge and wrap count. These resistance doesn't matter much on a regulated mod.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
resistance doesn't matter on a regulated mod?
Not sure I agree with that.
It has no bearing on the amp draw. It will, of course, affect the characteristics of the vape, but even then coil mass and heat flux are far more important factors. In fact, by and in itself resistance doesn't mean much at all.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
It has no bearing on the amp draw. It will, of course, affect the characteristics of the vape, but even then coil mass and heat flux are far more important factors. In fact, by and in itself resistance doesn't mean much at all.

I agree with Ken,i normally vape if Kanthal then 1.5 ohms 28 ga 8 wraps 2.5 mm id at 11 watts.If SS316L then 0.8 ohms 28ga 8 wraps 2.5 mm id at 11 watts.The vape seems identical.

Reactions: KenD

Akrotiri

Moved On
Oct 4, 2016

So I'm used to building 28g kanthal 2.5id @1.2ohms. If I want a similar vape, with 316L SS how should I build it?

Reason I ask is because I basically have the same question as the OP.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
So I'm used to building 28g kanthal 2.5id @1.2ohms. If I want a similar vape, with 316L SS how should I build it?

I would build it exactly the same but with 316L.It should be around 0.6 ohms.Start off at the same watts you used on Kanthal.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

Do the same coil diameter and wrap number.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ok ill try that as my first SS build but I don't see how that would vape the same as my usual build of 1.2ohm kanthal@15watts with my favorite NET.
I thought the same,i went from 1.5ohm kanthal at 11 watts to 0.8 ss316l at 11 watts.The vape seemed the same.You may need to slightly adjust wattage up or down.

Reactions: dobroeutro

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Ok ill try that as my first SS build but I don't see how that would vape the same as my usual build of 1.2ohm kanthal@15watts with my favorite NET.
It's about coil mass. If the coil mass is the same the heat flux will be similar, and therefore the vape as well.

Reactions: dobroeutro

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Actually mass will only change the speed to reach temperature, if the power input is the same and the surface area and shape of the coil is the same, the results will be the same just at a slightly different time, for example with denser SS maybe .2 seconds later.

On a mech, resistance IS your power setting, on a regulated it is set by the user and the circuit compensates, within limits (not often approached, but if it is it's usually the low resistance limit). It might be desirable to use a longer, thinner coil wire with SS for higher resistance and faster warmup, but then the same might be said with Kanthal.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread