Not open for further replies.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I prefer replaceable battery mods.

With built in battery mods, once the battery dies (in a year or two/~300 charge cycles), you have to replace the whole mod and purchase another one. More expensive in the long run.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Its a personal choice, but I agree with Susan~S.

The main benefit of using a mod which uses replaceable batteries is, when the battery dies in a year or two (about 300 charge cycles), instead of replacing an entire mod ($50 - $100) all you need to replace is a $6 battery. Of course, you need to also purchase a decent box battery charger for about $20.

If your mod with an internal battery runs out of a charge, you're finished vaping until you can recharge the battery. With a mod which uses an external battery, when that battery runs out of a charge, you replace it with a spare that you carry in a plastic battery case. I don't leave the house without my mod and two spare charged batteries in a battery case.

efest-18650-battery-case-650x650.jpg

Another thing to consider is, the internal non-replaceable batteries are LiPo batteries, which are not safe chemistry. When they go into thermal runaway, they burst into flames. IMR/INR replaceable batteries are safe chemistry; about all that they do when they go into thermal runaway is vent hot gas.

I'm also not of fan of on-board battery charging of internal battery devices. The USB charging connections tend to wear out over time and can prove to be dangerous.

Battery Basics for Mods

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
There's nothing wrong with them, meaning they work just fine, However, In addition to the point @Susan~S raises, they are built with LiPo batteries, which I don't like as they are not as safe as the IMR type normally used in removable battery mods. Like Susan, I prefer removables.

Reactions: Baditude

seahawkin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Rochelle, VA
Opposite here, I now use built in batteries. Though one could ague that the Radius is not that. I just want super simple plug it in and it charges. Started with the MVP2 and being able to use it to charge my phone. It was a slow thing, just one day noticed I wasn't using mods that had removable chargeable batteries (Radius does but again...). And I have some pretty ones too :(

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Opposite here, I now use built in batteries. Though one could ague that the Radius is not that.
The Radius can be used as an internal battery mod or as an external battery mod. I'm familiar with them although I don't own one. I'm pretty sure if I owned a Radius (I own 3 Provari's) that I would remove the batteries to charge them, for the reasons that I've already outlined.

:)

Reactions: suprtrkr

seahawkin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Rochelle, VA
The Radius can be used as an internal battery mod or as an external battery mod. I'm familiar with them although I don't own one. I'm pretty sure if I owned a Radius (I own 3 Provari's) that I would remove the batteries to charge them, for the reasons that I've already outlined.

:)

Yup that they are. When the battery goes I can just replace it. Been using the DNA Shark but as soon as the Radius came out I was on it faster then a duck on a bug. Love it, great device. But then all the stuff they do it great. All ready dropped it 3 times still working :D

Reactions: Baditude

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I want to buy a cfiber 100w mod with built-in battery as my additional mod..do you think it a good thing or not..

At one point it was an economical option.

Nowadays it seems to be becoming less of a bargain because more replaceable battery mods are coming with the option for on board charging via usb

Reactions: djsvapour

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I prefer replaceable battery mods for all of the reasons given above...and especially in today's legal environment. Batteries should always be available, but e-cig mods...well, who knows.

That being said, everything is ultimately going to wear out. Threads, buttons, screens, chips, usb ports...many cheaper mods will wear out in a year or two no matter what kind of battery is involved. I only have 1 old tube mod that I've owned for more than a year, so I have no idea of the longevity of any of my newer devices. Hopefully they will last longer than I expect.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I want to buy a cfiber 100w mod with built-in battery as my additional mod..do you think it a good thing or not..
I'd I were using high wattage I would go with a replaceable battery, however I typically vape at 8.5 to 9 W and Prefer the smaller size mods with internal batteries for convenience. Can't beat the Istick30w and Istick40W on either count and mine have been reliable.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I moved to replaceable battery mods a year ago, but recently picked up a Lavabox DNA200 which I am really liking. I had no problem with the "built in" battery since this one is replaceable for about $20. But after reading some of the posts here (@Baditude), I am now wondering if I stepped into a more dangerous vaping situation or if it is enough to be that concerned?

And as fast as the technology is changing/improving, replacing the whole mod in a year or two might not only be a good upgrade, but not be much more expensive then replacing all the 18650 batteries that tend to get small tears/holes in them from putting them in/out of charger and mods with bad/shaky hands. Yes, they can be re-wrapped, but I am struggling some trying to even do that.

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2015
I moved to replaceable battery mods a year ago, but recently picked up a Lavabox DNA200 which I am really liking. I had no problem with the "built in" battery since this one is replaceable for about $20. But after reading some of the posts here (@Baditude), I am now wondering if I stepped into a more dangerous vaping situation or if it is enough to be that concerned?

And as fast as the technology is changing/improving, replacing the whole mod in a year or two might not only be a good upgrade, but not be much more expensive then replacing all the 18650 batteries that tend to get small tears/holes in them from putting them in/out of charger and mods with bad/shaky hands. Yes, they can be re-wrapped, but I am struggling some trying to even do that.

Can't comment on the safety issue, but I'd just do what you like if you can afford it.

For newcomers, a built in battery is just easier and takes out one of the numerous confusing aspects of vaping.

If cost is a big concern, a replaceable battery rig is probably pretty important.

I'm concentrating on "mainly" replaceable battery mods because of the uncertain future of vaping in the US.

Reactions: OlderNDirt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread