bumming smokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Python

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2008
UK
hahaha.. I have people trying to bum smokes off of me all the time. I've just learned to say NO!!!! they do get ......, even had a guy almost start a fist fight over it...lol I can barely afford to smoke myself anymore with the rise of gas prices along with the rising costs of cigarettes. Thinking of that, what is the cost for a pack of smokes where your from? I live in AZ its about $5.75 a pack here, most places offer a buy 2 for a discounted price and that comes up to about $9.87

5/22/08 Prics went up about 50cents, gotta love taxes

WOW! Your cigs are cheap. Over here in the UK the cheapest cigs are just over £4 for 20 ($8) rising to £5.60 ($10+) for 20 depending where you shop. Some places charge over £5 ($12). Our government rakes off about 84% in tax off every pack of 20.

Same goes for the price of petrol and diesel. Diesel has now risen to £1.35 a litre ($2.50) - £6.23 per gallon with unleaded petrol only a couple of pence behind.

Many people are now living below the poverty line as wages, instead of going up to correspond with the increased rise in the cost of living, have actually fallen. Many people are living below the poverty line in the UK now.

If we could get out of this country we would but like many others we're struggling to make ends meet.

Then, to make people even more miserable, we've got a complete blanket ban on smoking in public places. For me the e-cig's been a Godsend. I've only been using mine for a week but it's saved me so much money already - and I can smoke it anywhere. People who have seen my one, want one too.

Great invention and I hope they continue to improve.

Mavkain

Jul 3, 2008
WOW! Your cigs are cheap. Over here in the UK the cheapest cigs are just over £4 for 20 ($8) rising to £5.60 ($10+) for 20 depending where you shop. Some places charge over £5 ($12). Our government rakes off about 84% in tax off every pack of 20.

Same goes for the price of petrol and diesel. Diesel has now risen to £1.35 a litre ($2.50) - £6.23 per gallon with unleaded petrol only a couple of pence behind.

Many people are now living below the poverty line as wages, instead of going up to correspond with the increased rise in the cost of living, have actually fallen. Many people are living below the poverty line in the UK now.

If we could get out of this country we would but like many others we're struggling to make ends meet.

Then, to make people even more miserable, we've got a complete blanket ban on smoking in public places. For me the e-cig's been a Godsend. I've only been using mine for a week but it's saved me so much money already - and I can smoke it anywhere. People who have seen my one, want one too.

Great invention and I hope they continue to improve.

LOL A 25 pack of smokes here are $13 CAD. I quit 5 years ago because of cost and the fact it was helping to kill me a little each smoke. I puff with a Ruyan e-cigar now and love it. 0mg nic. of course.. at least for now.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
Its an ongoing issue, the bumming of smokes in public places ...

At a bus or train station, the aggressive requst for a smoke is often the opening gambit for soliciting a "donation". Often its an offer to "buy" a cigarette for a dollar, then the plea to return the dollar with another for a meal or medication, or something ...

You get no assistance from security guards or transit police, just a stern warning not to smoke on the premises ...

Yet another reason to stealth vape ... ;)

TXMomof2

Jan 23, 2014
Dallas tx USA
I work with a few people who chronically would want to bum cigs from me. So the look on their faces since I am now saying I don't smoke anymore has been priceless. And the look I get from passerbys in the smoking area (work in a hospital so i still sometimes go there in between my vape-in-the-bathroom vape times) who are looking to either get a free cig or "buy" one for, oh, a dime (or whatever coin they pull out of their pocket) is even funnier. Most of the time they just look at me vaping, make a ticked off face and walk right on by.

LaDiablo

Apr 9, 2010
Missouri
I work with a few people who chronically would want to bum cigs from me. So the look on their faces since I am now saying I don't smoke anymore has been priceless. And the look I get from passerbys in the smoking area (work in a hospital so i still sometimes go there in between my vape-in-the-bathroom vape times) who are looking to either get a free cig or "buy" one for, oh, a dime (or whatever coin they pull out of their pocket) is even funnier. Most of the time they just look at me vaping, make a ticked off face and walk right on by.

I'm just amazed that your hospital doesn't have a "we don't employ smokers" policy :ohmy:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Cigarettes here in MA are over $10 a pack. You can sometimes find generics at $9.50.

I was on a business trip a couple years ago in a city that had seen some hard times. Everywhere I went, it was multiple "Hey, can I bum a smoke" followed by "Hey, you got any money?" (often in a less-friendly tone). I stopped smoking while outside and the problem went away.

Totally sucked, though. Non-smoking hotel, couldn't smoke at the customers' or in the rental car either.

Thank God for vaping!!!!!

Last edited:

X.250.MRS.B.X

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Kamloops, B.C. Canada
hahaha.. I have people trying to bum smokes off of me all the time. I've just learned to say NO!!!! they do get ......, even had a guy almost start a fist fight over it...lol I can barely afford to smoke myself anymore with the rise of gas prices along with the rising costs of cigarettes. Thinking of that, what is the cost for a pack of smokes where your from? I live in AZ its about $5.75 a pack here, most places offer a buy 2 for a discounted price and that comes up to about $9.87

5/22/08 Prics went up about 50cents, gotta love taxes

Wow those are cheap! Smokes here in bc canada are 8 bucks each for cheap ones and like 80 for a carton lol

sent by my samsung galaxy by rainbow unicorns and fluffy bunnies

Bramble

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Utah
Ha... I was thinking about this recently too. I used to walk 2 blocks every morning from the train to my office, and in that space I would get asked no less than 4 or 5 times for a smoke.

But even worse are people in my social circles who are "social" smokers... and they knew I always had tobacco. It was hard for me to say no, so I generally shared and some people definitely took advantage of it.

I'm not petty or mean or selfish but the truth is if I gave away smokes to everyone who asked, my bank account would look like the national debt. What a relief that I won't be asked to furnish cigarettes for other people anymore.

destinkarette

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2014
Orange Grove, Texas
It was frustrating enough for perfect strangers to walk up to me on break and plee for a smoke. Now I get perfect strangers asking to puff off my MVP 2 and wonder why I say no.
Why do people think it's kosher to stick them mouth on my MVP it's gross
Just explain nicely that you really are not into licking strangers. Works for me,,,,:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread