Burned flavor after changing coil????

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamegirl

Mar 3, 2014
Virginia
I purchased the smoketech tumbler tank. I love the flavor of my menthol ejuice in this tank. I had been using the top wick tank before from Halo, but they burn up pretty quickly. So I vaped for a few weeks and then changed the coil in the tumbler tank. The guy at the vape store sold me replacement coils for the smoketech tumbler tank, but they are not from smoketech, they are kanger coils. The coil fit but the flavor is awful. Even after letting it sit overnight, the first few vapes were good and then the taste is burned. I'm using an eleaf battery set at 3.0 VV. It was great with the original coil but horrible with the replacement coil. I ordered smoketech coils and hope that they will produce the great flavor that I was enjoying. Why do you think the kanger coil is producing such a burned awful flavor?

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
Hi.
Does the Kanger coil have the same resistance? I see you have your battery set to 3 V V. (hard to read, 2 Vs or a doubleU?) But if the resistance is different, let's say lower than the 2.0 ohm standard coil, then yes, it will vape hotter.

Not sure if your battery does watts, but if you get the watts you like on the smoktech coil, then most any other coil should be similar at the same wattage (not volts)

Just sake of the argument,
a 2.0 ohm coil at 3 volts is 4.5 watts.
a 1.8 ohm coil at 3 volts is 5 watts
a 1.6 ohm coil at 3 volts is 5.625 watts.

(a good quick calculator here..Watts - volts - amps - ohms conversion calculator)

Also, as Katmar suggests, prime a new coil with a few drops of eliquid first. Fill the tank, let it sit 15 minutes or so to really wick up. Take a few unpowered primer puffs. Then start at the lowest power setting, short hits, and then slowly turn it up.

I hope this helps. Please get back and let us know if this resolves your issues.

:)

gamegirl

Mar 3, 2014
Virginia
What do you mean by prime the coil? I added the juice and then let it sit for a while. Even after it sat overnight, it tasted better for the first few vapes and then it tasted burned again. The kanger coils doesn't say what the resistance is, so I don't know. I have it set at 3.0 V with the original coil and it was great. There is no lower setting. I tried switching to watts but it still tastes burned.

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
You prime the coil by putting a few drops of eliquid directly onto the coil.

I'll assume your battery doesn't display ohms. Call the store you bought the replacement coils from and ask. I see MadVapes has coils from 1.5 up to 3.0. That is a wide range!

I do hope your shop can help you.

I've found once a coil starts to taste burnt, it's seems to keep tasting burnt. (the exception being aspire's bvc coils in the nautilus)

And it sounds like the new coil head isn't wicking juice fast enough. Try lifting the silicon washer just above the wicks. Or maybe replace that washer with the old used coil.

Here is a good video. Not that you should rebuild (but it isn't too hard) but you'll see exactly whats going on in your coil, and the video has good explanations.

Last edited:

gamegirl

Mar 3, 2014
Virginia
So I tried vaping on watts instead of volts and same issue, still burned. I dug out the receipt from the vape shop and it said 1.8 for the coils.
Thanks for the video link, very informative. Seeing all the parts, the actual wick inside makes me wonder if it's just burned and there is no hope
to save this coil. I did not put juice on the coil, just filled the tank and let it sit. I'm going to try lifting the washer a little.
Too bad, I threw away the old coil, so that's no use this time, but next time, I'll hold on to it.

Thanks for the Triton adapter link. I've been vaping the Halo trident for a long time now. I love it but I burn the wicks pretty quickly. I tried the Nautilus
tank with the evic, I have that battery also (gift from my brother). Anyway, I kept missing the taste of the Halo Trident. I felt like the top wicks produced better
flavor. Now I have the Smoketech tumbler tank and I'm enjoying the taste (with the original coil that is). By the way, that tank fits on the Halo batteries without
the adapter. But I'll have to pick up the adapter for my other tanks.

Do you think I should pour out the juice that's in the tank with the burned flavor? I may just start all over with another replacement coil. I bought 5.
This time I will prime the wick and see what happens.

gamegirl

Mar 3, 2014
Virginia
OK, I decided to just throw the burned coil away. So just for fun, I took it apart like the guy in the video. It didn't really looked burned, the wick
was pretty clean looking. A tiny black spot came off on the paper towel but that's it. I threw away the juice, in case it had a burned flavor. I used Fusion flavor eliminator in the tank. I primed the new coil, filled the tank and it is sitting there waiting. I'll try it in an hour or so on Watts not volts and see what happens. I'll let you know.

By the way, with the Halo trident, have you ever just replaced the wick instead of the whole coil? I buy the replacement coils from them, and not that there expensive, but it seems like a waste to throw the entire coil away just because the wick burned. It always burns right at the top where it joins the coil. Only lasts me about a week. Where would I get wicks for the trident?

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Having it on watts rather than volts doesn't matter much, except when you change tanks or the ohms. As my figures above showed, changing the ohms gives different powers with volts.

Now I like 8.5 watts for most juices. But when I change tanks with different ohms, the iStick (or most mods with varWatts) will adjust the volts to give the same watts. I have tanks/coils from 0.6 to 3.0. Honestly, I'd be at a loss trying to figure out the right volts for each. But I set it to 8.5 watts, and let it do it's thing. The volts go from 2.5 to 5, and I don't care, cause I get my sweet spot at 8.5 watts.

Just start any new coil/head at low power, then slowly work it up. Breaking it in, like the video said.

And I have replaced the silica wick in the Halo heads, but it ain't easy. I've been successful maybe 3 out of 6 tries. I just use a flavor wick from another old head.

I have pulled the wick out a little, and "torched" it clean with a lighter. Then pulled it back. Sometimes the center gets thin, I have pulled the wick over a bit, and just trimmed the long end a bit. The flavor wick will deliver the juice.

Last thing, you can get Triton coils from VapingMe for about 25% the cost of Halo. $4 for the 5 pack. And they are identical!!!

http://www.vapingme.com/products/authentic-kanger-t2-replacement-coils-5-pack.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread