Burning through Aspire Atlantis V2 coils frequently

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaccoonChad

Jan 15, 2010
Hello all!

Let me get the specs out of the way first:
Aspire Atlantis V2 (0.5 ohm) coil in the V1 tank with the highest allowable airflow. Not sure if this is relevant but my battery is an Eleaf iStick 50W and it's pretty much always been set to 25 watts. Eleaf screen shows that I'm vaping on a 1.0 ohm coil at 5.0 volts.

Here's my issue:
Every time I put in a new coil head of an Atlantis V2 0.5 ohm, they only last about 5 - 7 days. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I feel like they shouldn't be burning out this quickly. After about a few days of heavy vaping, I notice that the tank starts to wisps of brown stuff (burnt cotton).

My question(s):
Are Atlantis V2's supposed to last longer than this?
Am I too heavy of a vaper for this coil? Should I switch to something a little bit more friendly to more frequent vaping?
Should I change my juice? (sorry I didn't provide that information >.<)
Would it make a difference if I bump up/down the wattage I'm vaping on?

Sorry for inundating you with so many questions, I just want to know if I should switch over to something else or whatever.

Thanks in advance, happy vaping and have a great and safe 4th!

RaccoonChad

Jan 15, 2010
OK, something odd here. You say you are using .5 ohm coils and the Istick 50 reads 1 ohm? On the other hand, with sweet or dark juices I never got more than a week out of any aspire coils. That's what pushed me to rebuilding.

Yeah, I thought that was a little weird, too. Up until I replaced the coil with a new one I bought from my local vape store, it usually read 0.6 ohm. I think the person working the counter gave me the wrong coil? Is that a thing?

Do you get more longevity out of your coil builds now that you rebuild? Thank you for the feedback :)

baaadjustin

Moved On
Apr 13, 2015
Missouri
I haven't tried the .5 ohms in the v2 been using the .3 at 58 watts, I have 4 different devices with 4 different tanks so I'm don't frequently use the same one, been using the same coil since I got the tank but like I said it's not my exclusive tank, from my experience though if you are exclusively using the same tank you should get around a month per coil, course that depends on the juice and how much you vape

Reactions: RaccoonChad

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
The resistance rating should be printed right on the coil itself. Having an istick read .1ohm off is normal, but not .5 ohm off, so you could be right and they gave you the wrong coil.

I found that I can go as long as I wish with my built coils, it's the wicking that will give out first. With that being said, I am so into the hobby aspect of rebuilding, that I've never got to "the end" of a coil before I decide to try something new or just dry burn and rewick for the heck of it.

RaccoonChad

Jan 15, 2010
I'm just stubborn and don't want to start rebuilding because I've received mixed anecdotal evidence from people talking about the longevity of rebuildables. Also, I don't like the idea of having to rewick more often than I already do with the Atlantis. And just the fact that I get so many mixed messages from people saying its great and then not-so-great, I just don't think it's for me, yet.

I've heard tell of an 'optimal' wattage for the Atlantis coil so it won't dry fire? Am I crazy or is that a real thing? Would these issues potentially be mitigated if I got a temp-controlled box mod?

Or maybe I should just try a new coil/tank.

Thank you for the feedback!

RaccoonChad

Jan 15, 2010
The resistance rating should be printed right on the coil itself. Having an istick read .1ohm off is normal, but not .5 ohm off, so you could be right and they gave you the wrong coil.

I found that I can go as long as I wish with my built coils, it's the wicking that will give out first. With that being said, I am so into the hobby aspect of rebuilding, that I've never got to "the end" of a coil before I decide to try something new or just dry burn and rewick for the heck of it.

I guess if I were to make the change from pre-builts to RBAs, what would you recommend to a newb? Is there a resource you went to to learn about the basics of RBA?

I apologize for being close-minded about this. It's honestly something I've been thinking about doing, but it's just everybody keeps telling me to make the switch and I just find it hard to believe that switching to rebuildables is the solution. To me, that advice sounds like "if your computer's broken, you should just switch to console gaming."

Again, thank you for the information.

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
All I can say is the sense of self reliance of rebuilding was worth the learning curve in itself. And it really isn't that hard to get good at. If you are good with your hands at all, even the slightest bit, I think people can do this. You need some basic tools, but they are actually around what you would pay for a couple packs of coils anyway, so no big investment there. Do some reading, which it appears you have, and just use regulated mods and quality batteries.

To start, I got a Plume Veil clone from MFS. It was pretty easy to build right from the first time. To me, an RBA is the way to start, much simpler and you can break it down on a whim and build to your hearts content. After a month or so, and another order of expensive coils, I got an RTA. Never looked back from there, nor will you.

RaccoonChad

Jan 15, 2010
All I can say is the sense of self reliance of rebuilding was worth the learning curve in itself. And it really isn't that hard to get good at. If you are good with your hands at all, even the slightest bit, I think people can do this. You need some basic tools, but they are actually around what you would pay for a couple packs of coils anyway, so no big investment there. Do some reading, which it appears you have, and just use regulated mods and quality batteries.

To start, I got a Plume Veil clone from MFS. It was pretty easy to build right from the first time. To me, an RBA is the way to start, much simpler and you can break it down on a whim and build to your hearts content. After a month or so, and another order of expensive coils, I got an RTA. Never looked back from there, nor will you.

Thank you.

For starters, I was probably just going to go with the Kanger Subtank Plus. I like that I can switch back and forth from pre-builts to personal builds. Plus, it seems more like it's more friendly to new builders and I like the capacity it has.

Any mods you would recommend? Do you think the Kanger Subtank is a good tank to start on?

Thanks again for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Reactions: GeorgeS

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I guess if I were to make the change from pre-builts to RBAs, what would you recommend to a newb? Is there a resource you went to to learn about the basics of RBA?

There are plenty of YouTube videos that'll show you how to build a RBA.

That being said, you can always to to a bricks and mortar store, and have them build your coil for you. My local stores charge anywhere from nothing, to $5 to build a coil.

Once it's built, you'll use it for a week, two weeks, and when it starts to taste bad, all you have to do is open the deck up, and gently pull out the used cotton, and replace it! You'll need to purchase some organic cotton, but you can even get it at local pharmacies......

I always find it kind of amusing how people (not talking about you, mega) who previously spent $5-8 a pack on smokes now have a problem spending $2-3 on a coil that lasts from a week to a month! My Atlantis coils last me about two weeks, sometimes longer, sometimes slightly less, then I toss 'em, and stick in a new coil! I just prefer the ease of using pre-built coils, although I have built my own coils in the past.

Like I said, if you want to experiment with building your own, go to a B & M, have them build the first coil, and watch them, and let them know you'd like them to show you how to do it for next time. Most of the people at these ecig shops are very friendly and happy to teach you!

Once your coil is built, replacing the wick is a piece of cake!

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
I don't have any personal experience with the sub tank, but the concept of it's dual ability is nice. I think it would be great for a starter into the building world as you know you could use the tank with factory coils while you practice building. I don't know what is involved in switching back and forth though. Someone who has one may be able to help there.

I still think it is easier to get a RDA, and again i'll say a Plume Veil clone, because it is nothing to break it down. No loss of juice and costs pennies in supplies to rebuild.

For a Mod, well, there are so many good ones out there now. I've gone through the MVP's to Isticks, a Segelei 100W box mod and now my new favorite, the IPV mini 70W. I think the IPV delivers some of the best value for money right now. Other may and will have differing opinions. I would say get something that delivers quality power, meaning a good chipset, and removable 18650 batteries. I have found being able to just pop in a new battery and vape on is far better than having to charge built in mods and go to the back up while it charges.

RaccoonChad

Jan 15, 2010
There are plenty of YouTube videos that'll show you how to build a RBA.

That being said, you can always to to a bricks and mortar store, and have them build your coil for you. My local stores charge anywhere from nothing, to $5 to build a coil.

Once it's built, you'll use it for a week, two weeks, and when it starts to taste bad, all you have to do is open the deck up, and gently pull out the used cotton, and replace it! You'll need to purchase some organic cotton, but you can even get it at local pharmacies......

I always find it kind of amusing how people (not talking about you, mega) who previously spent $5-8 a pack on smokes now have a problem spending $2-3 on a coil that lasts from a week to a month! My Atlantis coils last me about two weeks, sometimes longer, sometimes slightly less, then I toss 'em, and stick in a new coil! I just prefer the ease of using pre-built coils, although I have built my own coils in the past.

Like I said, if you want to experiment with building your own, go to a B & M, have them build the first coil, and watch them, and let them know you'd like them to show you how to do it for next time. Most of the people at these ecig shops are very friendly and happy to teach you!

Once your coil is built, replacing the wick is a piece of cake!

When you would vape on your Atlantis coil, what wattage was it set at? Are you a heavy vaper? Sorry for the 3rd degree, it just seems like I'm not getting the same experience with these coils as everyone else seems to.

I really like the idea of only having to replace the cotton on a rebuildable. I wasn't aware that you didn't have to change out the wire. Wouldn't you need to take a mini blowtorch to the coil to clean it every once in a while, though?

Damn you, e-cigarette-forum... I came here for answers and I got sound, friendly advice! Curses!

Reactions: GeorgeS

RaccoonChad

Jan 15, 2010
I don't have any personal experience with the sub tank, but the concept of it's dual ability is nice. I think it would be great for a starter into the building world as you know you could use the tank with factory coils while you practice building. I don't know what is involved in switching back and forth though. Someone who has one may be able to help there.

I still think it is easier to get a RDA, and again i'll say a Plume Veil clone, because it is nothing to break it down. No loss of juice and costs pennies in supplies to rebuild.

For a Mod, well, there are so many good ones out there now. I've gone through the MVP's to Isticks, a Segelei 100W box mod and now my new favorite, the IPV mini 70W. I think the IPV delivers some of the best value for money right now. Other may and will have differing opinions. I would say get something that delivers quality power, meaning a good chipset, and removable 18650 batteries. I have found being able to just pop in a new battery and vape on is far better than having to charge built in mods and go to the back up while it charges.

I'll take a look at the Plume Veil now, thanks :)

I think the thing that is preventing me from making the switch is the thought of having to refill my RDA with juice more often than I do with a tank. I love having a tank and it's honestly the reason why I decided to start diving deeper into the world of vaping. Bear in mind I know nothing about the Plume Veil, so if this is a non-issue with the Plume, then I'll shut up.

Thanks again for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
A plume veil is drip several drops in, puff, and refill every 3 or 4 draws. It is nothing like a tank as it is a true dripper atty. I only advise you to get one because of the ease of building, not convenience of use. If you are stuck on a tank only, then I think you are on the right track with the sub tank idea.

Don't kid yourself though, I never thought I'd enjoy a real dripper. Turns out they can be pretty enjoyable from time to time. Also it's a great way to try juice at the B&M's.

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
When you would vape on your Atlantis coil, what wattage was it set at? Are you a heavy vaper? Sorry for the 3rd degree, it just seems like I'm not getting the same experience with these coils as everyone else seems to.

I typically have two tanks, with different juices in them, at the same time, unless I leave the house. So if my Atlantis coil lasts two weeks, it's really only lasting a week or so, if I were to only use that one tank.

I have .5 ohm coils, and right now it's at 40w. Sometimes, I vape at a little lower wattage, but it's usually around 35-40 watts. I find that Kanger occ coils need much less wattage, around 25w, which allows my battery to last longer, useful if I'm away from home.

I really like the idea of only having to replace the cotton on a rebuildable. I wasn't aware that you didn't have to change out the wire. Wouldn't you need to take a mini blowtorch to the coil to clean it every once in a while, though?

No need for a blow torch!

If your cotton has gone bad, you can try to simply remove it from the coil using tweezers... or, if it's really gunked up, dry burn it (fire your device for a few seconds, and the coils will heat up and dry your cotton, and even possibly burn the cotton, which won't matter as you're going to remove it anyways), which makes it MUCH easier to remove then sticky, wet cotton! The hard part is doing it gently, so you don't mess up your coils and pull them out of shape. If you're careful, and dry burn for a few seconds, removing the cotton is pretty easy!

Then twist some new cotton up, thread it through the coil, pull it through, snip it to the property length and you're good to go!

easy peasy!

Oh... and when the cotton has been removed, if the coil looks gunky, again, dry burn it for a few seconds, and everything on the coil will turn to ash. Now, gently brush the coil off, and it'll be clean and ready to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread