Burnt taste with new cartomizers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarzilla

Aug 1, 2011
Columbus, OH
Newbie question here, I'm using 510D Boge LR carto's. A couple of times I've filled a brand new carto, let it settle for a while. When I tried to vape it, I instantly got a mouth full of nasty smoke, tastes like burnt plastic. I've had at least one of them in every 5-pack. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Then today, filled a new carto, at first it was ok, then the burnt taste started creeping in. I like to switch flavors a lot and whenever I started vaping this thing, after 3 or 4 drags, some burnt taste. Now it's completely nasty. Help?

Reactions: Cole.nikky67

light487

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I had the same problem with Boge cartos.. always the problem you are describing but then I started to use the "condom fill" method and never had that problem since. I know that some people prefer different filling methods but I had tried all the other methods and always had the same problem like you. I guess, when I used those other methods I either didn't drip enough or didn't wait long enough or something I was missing out from the method. However, ever since switching to the condom fill method, never any more burnt taste.

Pamdane

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2011
Cleveland area, Ohio
I would try using a syringe. Place needle all the way down between the carto wall and fiber. Fill and plunge as you slowly pull the needle up. Rotate carto 180* and do the same. The fluid will come to the top and sit there if you do it right. If you dont see fluid where the fiber meets the carto wall, it needs more juice. If the fiber soaks and the center eye of the carto floods, it will come out the bottom. Have a paper towel ready- this is OK, but you will get tiny pops of hot nic hit your mouth. If you really flood it, you will suck in nic and its yuk. Dap tongue with paper towel. After you perfect this method, you should not have a burnt carto unless the coil overheats when you dont refill before the juice is used up. Mark it up to a learning curve.

afrazier5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The advice here I always give is "Patience!". I have been using Boge for a few months but the same holds true with any carto. You need to give the liquid time to soak in so I always keep one juiced up and ready and when I swap, I fill another. It can take up to 30 mins on a standard carto for the juice to really soak in and marinate the coil/filler to give you that sweet sweet vapor!

cocorico

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2011
Vancouver
This happened to me last night. I used the condom method and i think i know the reason why. If you push the carto down into the condom filled with juice too fast, the juice will shoot up the center hole and out the rubber cap. I thought that i at least got most of the juice into the filler material but it probably all came out through the other end. I used another method and it now works, i put in a few drops through the top and cover the open end with a finger and battery end with thumb and shake it really hard. then repeat that a few more times and now no more burnt taste.

but also i have a question, i got that nast burnt taste with this brand new carto but was able to save it by filling with method i just described and now no longer have burnt taste. Is is safe to still vape out of this carto or should i toss it?

Last edited:

Rysup

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Sometimes the polyfill can have really dry patches that don't seem to want to absorb anything. (Very noticeable with clear cartos) Even if I condom fill and leave partially submerged (~2mm eliquid above the polyfill with condom on batt threads) it still stays dry...

The only success I've had when this has happened is to thermometer flick the hell out of it. (Or taryn spin if you're that way inclined) But it's always messy :(

Paislia

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2011
NY, USA
I am having this issue also. So my question is, after a couple of nasty burnt plastic tasting hits, can the cart be used or is it trash? After doing the thermometer shake during filling, and waiting the appropriate time (30 min?), if it still tastes bad do I just pitch all that juice it stole? :mad: say there is a way to save it! Thanks

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I always let my Boge cartos sit overnight after filling .. insert toothpick in battery end, add 20 drops, let sit till fully absorbed, add 5 more drops, insert upright into block of styrofoam .. allow to sit overnight .. remove toothpick (which I use to make sure no liquid drips out the end) and then one drop into the battery end .. blow out excess

Using this method and adding drops as needed during use has given me an average use of 10 days per carto and no burnt taste ..

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
"Fill it full and let it sit" seems to be the watchphrase with Boge 2.0 ohm cartos.

I only use them on my Reo Grande. I fried a couple of them until I a) filled them by the condom method, b) let them sit overnight, c) attached them to the Reo, d) squonked enough so eliquid pooled in the cup, then finally e) let the Reo sit for an hour or so.

Haven't fried one since adopting this method.

This method works well with both brand-new and washed Boges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread