Burnt taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

saeybia

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2016
Hi the other day I had my first taste of burnt liquid OMG that was disgusting!

Anyway I washed the tank and changed the coil.

I still had a slight burnt taste but that went. Anyway used the same liquid and it's starting to get that burnt taste again. I only have the wattage set at 30 so have no idea what's going on.

Just washed out and changed to a TC coil this time to see if that helps but am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Things that make coils gunk up to give a bad burnt taste

1) Liquid Viscosity, higher the VG content the higher the viscosity, can equate to slower wicking with factory coils, especially during winter, VG is also sometimes a sweetener so can collect up as goo in a coil or crystalize in the wicking, or carbon on the wire
2) Sweeteners of any sort, very very very sweet liquids will will create goo, crystalize in the wicking or collect as carbon on the wire
3) Dark Liquids, darker the liquid the more it is going to carbonize and crystalize in the coil head like sweeteners above, coffees, tobaccos, caramels are very notorious here
4) Creamy flavors, if it has cream, milky, yogurts, rich buttery toned liquids, like sweeteners, builds up gunk
5) Bakery and savory flavors, things like cheesecakes, donuts, bear claws, cakes, cookies are majorly compounded by #1-4
6) Heat - this boils down to burning out your wicking, to hot and the liquid isn't flowing fast enough or the air flow is not adequate enough for your wattage you gradually scorch your wicking which is most times make of cotton which has a very low scorching temperature.

Reactions: subwayaznm

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
For a factory coil, I would place several drops of juice in it and on the little holes on the side, then let it sit for 10 minutes or so in a full tank. I would then take a few draws without power (I also do one or two draws with the air flow closed to and assure some vacuum). Then I start out about half the power where I expect to end up and work my way up a few watts at a time. In a subohm setting, I'd probably go a bit faster than my 1 to 2 watt creep up for mtl, maybe 3 to 4W jumps. So if your "goal" for a 0.5 ohm coil is going to be 30W, start at 15W and go up a few W at a time. In a smaller tank, it might take a tankful or 2 ml to "break" the coil completely in.

Note, the final power setting/wattage will depend completely on when you feel you've hit your "sweet spot" in performance. For any coil it could be 15W, 20W, or 40W. Depends on your preference (and not burning or flooding the coil) Do not rely on the power settings printed on the coil as a target. They are at best a general suggestion, and are usually inflated anyway. Just because it says 30-50W doesn't mean you should use it only in that range.

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada
I've never had a tank give off dry hits because of high VG. I've been doing high VG juice since soon after I started vaping as I like the smoothness of it. I suppose if you were doing some hard chain vaping it could be an issue. The Melo III can handle high VG no problem especially with those subohm coils. Something else is obviously the culprit.

Also just noticed you mentioned temperature. The standard coils do not do TC which I think you are already aware of.

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yeah the standard coils I was using in wattage Mode at 30watts. Got some TC coils now and gonna try them out to see if it doesn't burn. Maybe just a dodgy batch of coils?

Not clear to me, but if you started those Kanthal coils straight out at 30W, even with letting them soak, you probably "overpowered" them. Factory coils can be very picky about that stuff, whereas DIY coils and wicks are usually well saturated and tested during the build process, so it's less of a problem.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
OK. I did start them at 30w I will keep the wattage low and work it up. Still learning here lol.

Yeah, my money would be on that as the problem. Factory coils really need a chance to break in, and starting at 30W as probably the issue. Good luck!

Reactions: MMW

tylerdwhite

Aug 18, 2016
I think the most important thing is putting a few drops on all the open spots where cotton is exposed before installing the coil. Now mind you Ive never used a melo 3, but all I ever do is manually put drops on all the exposed parts of the Cotton then take a couple of non-powered pulls before I start vaping. I hardly ever let the tank sit and I never start with low power. Never had an issue with any of my tanks (all sub-ohm).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread