burnt wick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fedexpope

Dec 3, 2012
Chicago
I'm getting burn wicks real bad, its really making any clearo I use a short term item. Is there a better one for this, or one that I can change wicks on easily. Or am I doing something wrong.

Its, to the point it changes the color of my clear liquid to a brown over night. Right now i've using cheap clearos and tossing them after 3-4 days so I can keep a good flavor.

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
The brown color is not from burning wicks. Most wicks are made from silicone and will withstand temperatures well above what the coil is capable of producing.

What you are seeing is the residue from the sugars in the flavoring and the liquid and can easily be gotten rid of with a good rinsing and dry burning.

Last edited:

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Without knowing exactly which brand clearo you have, and not being familiar with how to dissemble most of them, I can only give you a generic guideline.

• Remove the head from the tank (if this is not possible then you cannot dry burn it).
  • Rinse the head with warm water to remove as much of the e-liquid as possible.
  • You will more than likely have to remove some component that sits on top of the head that channels the air/vapor to the mouthpiece so you can have a clear view of the coil.
  • Attach the head to the battery and begin the dry burn by alternately pressing and releasing the fire button; press for no longer than 5 - 7 seconds, release for 15 - 30 seconds to let the coil cool.
  • Continue doing this until the coil is glowing orange or red as evenly as possible over the entire coil.
  • Once cool, rinse again thoroughly to remove the ash residue resulting from the dry burn. This is important as this ash will produce a nasty taste if not thoroughly removed.
  • Reassemble the head, fill the tank, let sit for 10 - 15 minutes for the wick to become saturated, then vape.
  • You may want to draw the first 3 - 4 times without inhaling to purge any residual bad taste and to get the head primed sufficiently.
After you get used to doing this it will take longer to read the instructions than to actually do the cleaning... :D

Good luck and post back if you have any questions.

KraKsX

Moved On
Dec 17, 2012
Lower NY
kraksx.com
Just something to add to cleaning a clearo (you can try)

After water rinse, fill half way with grain alcohol (like everclear, or use even devil springs, basically highest non-flavor drinkable alcohol you can get your hands on cheap) and shake for a minute or so, empty (can repeat if needed) rinse with water again, then continue steps above.

The alcohol should help remove Flavors and 'gunk'.

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I never remove the wick(s) because the dry burning will clean them too. This is assuming you haven't replaced the wick with cotton or some other flammable material.

The T3 does have 2 additional wicks laying on top of the coil (we have dubbed these the "flavor wicks") which can easily be removed, but the main wick(s) that run through the coil are left in the coil unless you are going to replace them with something else.

lostgypsy

Aug 31, 2012
California
The brown color is not from burning wicks. Most wicks are made from silicone and will withstand temperatures well above what the coil is capable of producing.

What you are seeing is the residue from the sugars in the flavoring and the liquid and can easily be gotten rid of with a good rinsing and dry burning.
Thanks, Spider! I was shocked to see all this black charcoal all around the coil and wicks, but now I finally got it. Seems like lots of sugar! But I am having trouble with complete cleaning: no matter what I try, there are still some stuff there, you can not get those wicks like new after this happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread