Busted at Wal-Mart! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

gooney0

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
Falls Church, VA
I wouldn't start a conversation about PVs by making someone feel angry or foolish.

From my experience anti-smokers are against smokers as much as they are against smoking. Second hand smoke is really pretty low on the list of reasons they hate smokers and smoking.

I find they:

- Believe smokers are low class and stupid
- Hate the smell
- Hate the cigarette butts and ashes found almost everywhere
- Want to be enforcers of the law and the will of the people (as they see it)
- Worry that smokers will recruit their children to smoke. (Thus the ratings on video games for tobacco use)
- Are concerned about second hand smoke.

PVs do not resolve all of these issues. Non-smokers are generally positive, but I bet anti-smokers will not be.

Anti-smokers are a lost cause. We will always have enemies.

I would suggest we take care to keep the non-smokers on our side. PVs don't create smoke, but they do create a little bit of smell. It would be polite to ask before using.

Most important to me.... I have a niece and 2 nephews who I never want to see take up the habit / hobby of smoking or vaping.

I hope we can agree that vapeing is a great replacement for smoking, but not something that is "cool."

I wish smoking hadn't been "cool" when I was younger and (even) dumber.

-Gooney0

abhowe

Moved On
Sep 14, 2009
Hey, Vapor Pete...... If it is legal, no matter what it is, I will do it if I want to........ If the proprietor asks me to stop, because he owns the place and I don't like offending people....... If someone is at my house, and they don't follow my rules, I kindly show them the door....... Except in your case, because you would not be allowed in in the first place........

J00ky

Sep 13, 2009
Calgary Alberta
I have found that from personal experience part of the "conflict" comes from people who are analog smokers. I have had several people comment on the fact that they are jealous that I am able to vape where they cannot smoke or state that I should not be able to vape because they are not able to light up.

Thankfully I work for a company that is fine with me vaping at my desk but I have made it quite clear to the people around me that I will stop if it bothers them. So far taking the nonchalant approach and being casual about it has worked for me and seems to get people interested in vaping without causing too much conflict.

Don'tReadTheRunes

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
St. Louis MO
So far I have vaped in Walmart and restaurants while sitting in the non-smoking areas cuz I can't take cigarette smoke while eating. Never could actually. One thing I do is I use my passthrough when in the grocery store or whatever. Nobody thinks you're smoking when there is a wire running from the end of your vaporizer. For me, the wire is long enough to keep the plug and battery in my pocket and not look awkward vaping.

nyabzns

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
Midwest , USA
I'd have to agree that creating a conflict is probably not a good idea, especially when a lot of people aren't familar with the technology or have seen enough of the negative propaganda to associate the e-cigs with smoking even though there isn't the actual burning of tobacco involved.

Perception is reality to most people, if they see what appears to be smoke they are going to assume it's smoke unless they are educated.

I agree asking a manager or even people around you in an establishment if they mind might be a better way to go and even a great conversation starter to education them on personal vaporizors.

Until the perception of what it is is changed I'd probably stick with using mine only where smoking is allowed.

In a way everyone on this forum are ambassadors for the cause.

Eric in AK

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Alaska
Unless someone analyzes the vapor I'm exhaling and tells me there's no nicotine in it, I'm never going to vape indoors where the public or co-workers might be present. I don't think I have the right to expose others, especially non-smokers, to the nicotine I think is in the vapor. It's nowhere near as bad as smoke from an analog, but it's probably still something that others have the right not to be subjected to. I have enough willpower and courtesy to vape only in the places where smoking is allowed, except now I will have no problem doing it at home. Even then I'll probably still do it mostly outside or out in the garage. I've always had a rule against smoking inside my own home. I'd be a hypocrite if I smoked indoors where smokers aren't permitted to smoke their analogs. Just my two cents, not a judgment on others.

Angela

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hertfordshire, England
I agree that the amount of nicotine in the exhaled vapour is currently an unknown figure BUT, dissipated into the air, the concentration in a room would have to be minute - even if we exhaled every single particle of nicotine in the liquid.

Nicotine is not the problem in 'second-hand-smoke', as I am sure you are aware, and most people do have some intake of nicotine in their lives via tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, etc

(Ever served anyone a spagettti bolognese, Eric in AK? :D )

Again - not judging anyone here, but for me, I am happy to use my e-cig in places where cigarettes used to be acceptable providing the establishment is happy (esp pubs and bars, etc). (Bear in mind the UK is completely 'no smoking' in any enclosed public space - whether that 'public space' is privately owned or not)

I would never have lit up a cigarette in the supermarket, or in church, etc, so I beleive it is only common courtesy not to use my e-cig in those places (even if it is mainly a perception thing)

chandlerjeo

Moved On
Oct 15, 2009
  • Deleted by Sun Vaporer
  • Reason: spammer

whistlrr

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
Michigan's Knobbywristbone
I'll admit I haven't read this whole thread (just a few posts on the first page of it) but here's my thoughts:

I'd rather a pleasing jovial real live person be the first exposure people get to something new... and people are going to have to be exposed one way or another... do you want it to be the 'pleased as punch' smiling educational guy before a group of awed and amazed reciprically-friendly people, or do you want it to be a scare story on CNN, etc?

Let me put this in another (seemingly perhaps) unreleted perspective from 'where I come from"

I have mentioned in places that I am disabled/must use a typing communication device to speak... people don't see alot of these either

just tonight I was in RadioShack with a friend buying rechargable batteries and plopped my communicator (think: small portable talking typewriter sort of device) on the counter and went at asking the clerk this and that (batteries are now behind the counter, duh) when I noticed a group of young-ish college-looking girls who were also also in the store had gathered behind me and my friend and were audibly ooing and aaahing at my device and my typing skills (I'm not especially accurate but at approx 150 wpm with my 'gadget' sometimes I get the 'oohs and aahs')

I much prefer oohs and aahs to cold suspicious hostile stares, and since I don't exactly have a choice in the matter with this, yeah, it matters.

Sometimes depending, I or a friend with me will stop and explain a bit.

Now, the next time they see a disabled person clapping away on their device after experiencing me (just like the next time they see somebody 'vaping' after experiencing that guy) they'll be one up, educated.

That's just the way I like it

I'm sorry these examples are mostly disability based (but that's where I'm coming from so its what comes to mind so just bear with me and follow the point please):

Think about the the first time somebody used a wheelchair (whenever it was, back in the 1800's or whatever?) Think about the first time somebody wore 'eye glasses'.. the first time somebody saw a cellphone (maybe that one's not such a great example since cellphones are annoying as hell and mostly used extremely inconsiderately imo..) but you get the point probably.

Can you imagine all the "what is that rolling wheeled thing? that's not safe, that can't be allowed to roll around admist walking people, get that thing outta here!" or "glass? worne over your eyes? why, that's dangerous it could shatter into your eyes!" or whatever (cellphones should be beaten against the users head until all annoying behaviors cease.. but oh well I digress)

People need to know there is something going on, what it is, that its okay, and here that means they need to know that its not smoking and IS okay.

that people don't know is why even when say a store manager does know you are vaping they tense all up.. because they figure somebody ELSE is gonna see you, think you are SMOKING and literally light up

Smiling 'male confrontation hunter' in the OP likely set off a chain reaction of people who will know better, will recognize a PV the next time they see one and will not only not tense up, but won't light up analogs in response to seeing it.

How else are people going to know?

if 'smiling male confrontation hunter''s method wasn't the correct way to introduce and educate... whats the better way? Is there one?

Especially,
'out in the field' in real life, I ask.. whats a better way?

EDITED:
I have to admit I do agree with not using your PV where you wouldn't ordinarly smoke (within reason though since to absolutely not vape where you can't smoke means nearly only PVing in your house.. which, as it happens is pretty much where I do most of my PVing.. but thats my choice and habit FROM smoking.. and because of the sour response I got from an old friend who manages a local donut shop I frequent.. I've got enough with my obligatory spot as "AAC device educator" .. but we do have to start SOMEWHERE.. and one of the points of PVing is to free us up a bit, right? so if somebody really wants to 'vape' in a walmart.. or maybe just outside its doors, etc.. or especially all the 'smoke free campus' places that are everything and everywhere expansive and huge.. yes.. its not for me.. but I've got my 'close enough' role in life.. somebody else with the social and communication skills like Smiling Male Confrontation Hunter is more suited and clearly up for this task.)

Last edited:

hellonez

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
Phila, PA
WOW gotta say this thread has definitely made me take a look at my vaping etiquette.

Much like the original posters husband I have found myself looking for some sort of reaction from people. Not because I'm interested in a confrontation, just want an opportunity to discuss what I'm doing. I really do like chatting with people about vaping and i've only ever gotten positive reactions.

I do vape at work, I'm cautious about it and I don't do it in front of customers because that just seems weird but I do vape in front of other employees. I may rethink that. One part of me thinks perhaps its not the best and most professional thing to do, on the flip side, I'm not taking smoke breaks which has increased my productivity at work. Hell I don't even take my lunch break anymore.

I will definitely have to really think about this.
thanks for the thread everyone.

whistlrr

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
Michigan's Knobbywristbone
I just think like a number of things, being 'confrontational' (which also could be known s purposely creating situations for a purpose) can be used to annoy or educate, and sometimes those two aren't mutually incongruity, plus add in that you can't plan for or predict all the outcomes.
If you're gonna do something like this, just think about what you're intentions are, why you're really doing it and what you hope to accomplish

you can set it up geared/leaning towards either educating or aggravating.

the smiling male confrontation hunter's actions described in the OP describe a guy who never reacted with anger or antagonism or any sort of animosity, even when he was being yelled at/'fired on' -- he just kept right on smiling and teaching.

I think that's impressive and the perfect way to go, if you're really up for it and can manage it (and you're lucky that the situation doesn't somehow go so south and get out of control that you just can't)

(It sounds like in places he was almost like the 'Mahatma Gandhi of e-smokers' :D )

"use the force for good, Luke"

vaporich

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2009
Pittsburgh
www.vaporich.com
I use mine everywhere I go, and havent had any problems either.
Stores, malls, even government buildings.
Mind you, I dont do it openly, I kinda hide it, I dont show it off.
I just puff it, when I get my chance.
The vapor dissappears so quickly no one really notices.
And if they do, I just explain, that it is vapor, and the rest of the speil.

We need to get people accustomed to them.
And we need to get new users.
SO I think it is good to vape in public.

To note, I still havent heard anything on a ban.
Has anything happened recently.
I honestly dont think it will happen.
But, the "government" does as it pleases.
Its just I think the elite are foucused on much more horrible things,, than banning ecigs right now.

feenoir

Oct 10, 2009
I think anything that isn't harmful to anyone else shouldn't be banned even if someone else considers it annoying. If I don't want to see people with their annoying loud mouth bratty kids demanding everything in a store and being rude to their parents I just leave. *insert sarcasm* Prejudice is okay as long is it's towards smokers or fat people. Those are perfectly acceptable. Just like fat people should not eat in public, vapers should not vape anywhere people could see them.*end sarcasm*

Personally I'd just avoid any confrontation as I hate attention, but I could understand why people would want to be able to do it anywhere since it's not actually harming anyone else.

Just like a job, sometimes you gotta put up with harassment or injustice just so you can keep it. I'd avoid causing public annoyance just because I wouldn't want to lose what I already have. It doesn't mean it's right, or even CLOSE to okay, but I personally just would like to do what I want in my own home in the future even if it means stealth vaping or not doing it in public just so people don't cause a problem even where there isn't one.

Your husband isn't "wrong" for doing that, it's just uneducated people might cause problems for other vapers because they're honestly well....stupid. so most vapers would avoid doing that.

I would be a horrible Rosa Parks btw. "I'll sit in the back of the bus because it's better than no bus at all"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread