Buying and Using an Electronic Cigarette: A Primer

Status
Not open for further replies.

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I'm happy to see they are adding the manual option to more models. I have added a few 510 auto batts to my stash. They operate differently than most autos in that there is no cutoff or time out which compared to the 4081, eg., is a improvement, imo.

I got a manual 510 because I heard that the auto ones turn on too easily from noise or wind. Have they been improved? I would like an auto one too.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I got a manual 510 because I heard that the auto ones turn on too easily from noise or wind. Have they been improved? I would like an auto one too.

I really haven't had the autos outside - maybe in the car a few times and never had a problem but say, when you get them out of the original pack with the cellophane, they will come on getting them out but I've never seen one go off the the music or tv pretty loud on a movie, etc. The thing that is different is that there is no cutoff or time out after a cutoff like in the supers. I'd say it's worth getting two for rotation on the computer when you're typing.

Hockeytown

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2009
MI, USA
Holy cow was I overwhelmed when I first starting reading the forums on this site. All these different numbers and combinations and different liquids and such. 8-o This thread was a great read. I'm currently an ex-smoker of about 7 years that still misses it. I'll "indulge" at the yearly golf outing at work, but that's about it. I saw a blucig add and starting googling around for more information about these e-cigs. I really want to buy one, but I've been scammed so many times on other purchases. From everything I've read so far (5 evenings here) I think the manual 510 is what I'd like. For me, the filling feel on the inhale in the throat and lungs is the biggest part I miss. Now I need to find a supplier! I'm going to read the "Wonderful World of vaping" link as well, but it's huge, and I wanted to post here first. Thanks again, this was a much less confusing read.

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Holy cow was I overwhelmed when I first starting reading the forums on this site. All these different numbers and combinations and different liquids and such. 8-o This thread was a great read. I'm currently an ex-smoker of about 7 years that still misses it. I'll "indulge" at the yearly golf outing at work, but that's about it. I saw a blucig add and starting googling around for more information about these e-cigs. I really want to buy one, but I've been scammed so many times on other purchases. From everything I've read so far (5 evenings here) I think the manual 510 is what I'd like. For me, the filling feel on the inhale in the throat and lungs is the biggest part I miss. Now I need to find a supplier! I'm going to read the "Wonderful World of Vaping" link as well, but it's huge, and I wanted to post here first. Thanks again, this was a much less confusing read.

Hi Hockeytown. It is confusing at first. If you read these forums, it will help a lot. I am pretty new to all this, but did a lot of research before I bought a starter kit. I decided on the 510 as it seemed the best from what I'd read. I got the manual one which has a switch to turn it on because I had read that the automatic ones were too sensitive and would turn on from loud noises or wind. I am very happy with mine. However I would like an automatic one as well. Still trying to figure out which auto one I should get. If you've been smoke free for 7 years, I don't know why you would want an ecig. It is not a stop smoking device. It is for those who want a better alternative. If you do decide on getting one, go for the no nicotine juices. No need for you to get hooked on that again.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Hi Hockeytown. It is confusing at first. If you read these forums, it will help a lot. I am pretty new to all this, but did a lot of research before I bought a starter kit. I decided on the 510 as it seemed the best from what I'd read. I got the manual one which has a switch to turn it on because I had read that the automatic ones were too sensitive and would turn on from loud noises or wind. I am very happy with mine. However I would like an automatic one as well. Still trying to figure out which auto one I should get. If you've been smoke free for 7 years, I don't know why you would want an ecig. It is not a stop smoking device. It is for those who want a better alternative. If you do decide on getting one, go for the no nicotine juices. No need for you to get hooked on that again.

Hi samysam, slogging through all the posts and lists of suppliers on here trying to figure out what the right e-cig is for me...I found that you can get auto batteries for your 501 that you already have...might be an easier way to try out an auto.

richnicepgc

Nov 11, 2009
Thanks a bunch, I think this thread is gonna have a lot of "I wish I had read this before making my first purchase" type posts. For example: I wish I had read this before making my first purchase. See what I mean? I got a Luci set but I am strongly leaning toward getting a TITAN 510 PCC setup and trying out the manual battery although first thought is (probably pretty normal) that I'll prefer NOT having to push the button...then again, those cons you have listed are very real for the autos... AQnyhow, thanks for the good work and useful info! yt, Rich

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Thanks a bunch, I think this thread is gonna have a lot of "I wish I had read this before making my first purchase" type posts. For example: I wish I had read this before making my first purchase. See what I mean? I got a Luci set but I am strongly leaning toward getting a TITAN 510 PCC setup and trying out the manual battery although first thought is (probably pretty normal) that I'll prefer NOT having to push the button...then again, those cons you have listed are very real for the autos...

You're welcome.

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Hi samysam, slogging through all the posts and lists of suppliers on here trying to figure out what the right e-cig is for me...I found that you can get auto batteries for your 501 that you already have...might be an easier way to try out an auto.

Yes I know. but like I said in my previous post, there are problems with the auto 510 turning on by itself from loud noises or wind. That's why I got the manual one. I'm in Canada. there aren't many suppliers here and most US companies won't ship here due to customs problems with these devices. E Liquids is the same.

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Thanks a bunch, I think this thread is gonna have a lot of "I wish I had read this before making my first purchase" type posts. For example: I wish I had read this before making my first purchase. See what I mean? I got a Luci set but I am strongly leaning toward getting a TITAN 510 PCC setup and trying out the manual battery although first thought is (probably pretty normal) that I'll prefer NOT having to push the button...then again, those cons you have listed are very real for the autos... AQnyhow, thanks for the good work and useful info! yt, Rich

You get used to the button on the manuals very fast. I think they are better since you decide how long you want it to burn. You control how much vapor you get this way. Better vapor and better throat hit all the way around. Course, some of that also depends on the liquids you use too.

Silence

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
Hopkinsville, Ky
I would like to see this turned into an interactive questionairre... then someone could make choices on the great info provided and get a couple recommendations that fit the criteria they selected so most will get what they are looking for out of an e-cig experience. It may even be able to be done in something as simple as excel. Over all great job and I would have loved to have had this info when i got my first one.

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I would like to see this turned into an interactive questionairre... then someone could make choices on the great info provided and get a couple recommendations that fit the criteria they selected so most will get what they are looking for out of an e-cig experience. It may even be able to be done in something as simple as excel. Over all great job and I would have loved to have had this info when i got my first one.

I did a lot of research before deciding on my 510. This forum as well as the Canadian one were a great help. Of course you have to do a bit of reading, but most of the answers are here for people trying to decide. I'm not sure what you mean by an interactive questionaire. This forum is already that.

Silence

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
Hopkinsville, Ky
I'm not sure what you mean by an interactive questionaire. This forum is already that.

I mean like a form you can fill out that has questions (i.e. manual or automatic, Do you care if it looks like a real cigarette?, do you want pre-filled cartridges or fill your own?) and then based on the selections you make you get a model or two that would be "good" for your current wants/needs. maybe with a couple links to vendors of where you can even buy that particular type.

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I mean like a form you can fill out that has questions (i.e. manual or automatic, Do you care if it looks like a real cigarette?, do you want pre-filled cartridges or fill your own?) and then based on the selections you make you get a model or two that would be "good" for your current wants/needs. maybe with a couple links to vendors of where you can even buy that particular type.

I see. Might be a good idea. Only someone would have to put it together. Sounds like a bit of work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread