• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Buying glass bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
We have a apothecary in town and they have 30ml - 1000ml both amber and clear bottles with drippers or caps. Health food store also, they had blue but they were a bit pricey. If you added the shipping then I pretty well broke even but I had them inhand rather than wait for delivery. Some pharmacys have glass but now days most are plastic and while your there ask them about PG and VG. I can get PG from my local grocery store pharmacy for 16 bucks a liter with a 2 day wait...haven't found local VG but its out there just not where I live.

Reactions: Ryedan

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I can get PG from my local grocery store pharmacy for 16 bucks a liter with a 2 day wait...haven't found local VG but its out there just not where I live.

FYI @AlterUrEgo, I buy 4 L of PG from The Broke Vaper for $47 shipped and with tax. Their liter bottles are $13, so not such a good deal with shipping. I mix my juices 90 - 100% PG so the big bottle isn't a problem for me :)

Their VG is the same price.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I can get PG from my local grocery store pharmacy for 16 bucks a liter with a 2 day wait...haven't found local VG but its out there just not where I live.

Is there a Shoppers Drug Mart near by? I get all my VG from there. Its in the first aid section, USP grade and works very well for me.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Is there a Shoppers Drug Mart near by? I get all my VG from there. Its in the first aid section, USP grade and works very well for me.

I did ask the pharmacist at both the Shoppers and Pharmasave here intown and I got deer in the headlights looks from both and a no on both PG and VG. I didn't ask at the Extra Foods pharmacy. The little bottles in the first aid I saw too but they are pretty expensive.
Pharmasave did have a 1lb roll of cotton baton that is flat with a top layer that can be peeled off that looks like the squares of that expensive Japanese cotton but in roll form, it was 6 bucks. That was wayyyyy back before I discovered rayon, still have the roll with a maybe a little bit that I used. I have quite a collection of past wicking materials, many sizes of silica, 5 sizes of ekowool, hemp fiber, cotton baton, cotton balls and 3 sizes of mesh all sitting in the closet. Rayon has been my wick if choice for a long time now and gonna be for a long time to come.

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I just checked my bottle and its not labelled as VG or Vegetable Glycerin. It is simply labelled as Glycerin USP

The only ingredient is: Glycerin 100% v/v.

It can be found in the first aid section right next to rubbing alcohol. its about $7 for 250ml. I have been using it for about 2 yrs now and had no adverse effects(to the best of my knowledge). I cannot state with 100% certainty that it is "vegetable" glycerin, but it is USP grade and for me that has been good enough.

I have just noticed while reading the label that there is now a warning saying "for external use only". This warning was not on previous bottles of the same product and I will be discontinuing use as soon as possible. Im glad I double checked.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I just checked my bottle and its not labelled as VG or Vegetable Glycerin. It is simply labelled as Glycerin USP

It can be found in the first aid section right next to rubbing alcohol. its about $7 for 250ml. I have been using it for about 2 yrs now and had no adverse effects(to the best of my knowledge). I cannot state with 100% certainty that it is "vegetable" glycerin, but it is USP grade and for me that has been good enough.

I have just noticed while reading the label that there is now a warning saying "for external use only". This warning was not on previous bottles of the same product and I will be discontinuing use as soon as possible. Im glad I double checked.

I used that product from Shoppers in Brampton for a while when I was starting out making juice, assuming it's the same as what they sold a few years back. From my research as far as I'm concerned if it says USP on it it's good to vape, but as always YMMV :)

The thing is it's expensive at $28 a liter. Then again, even at that price it's still way cheaper than smoking.

I did ask the pharmacist at both the Shoppers and Pharmasave here in town and I got deer in the headlights looks from both and a no on both PG and VG.

I used to get PG from Shoppers also. Told them I mix essential oils for massage and they were good with it. They ordered liter bottles of it for me which took a couple of days to get. Price was less than VG, but I can still do better elsewhere. It was also USP grade.

Last edited:

Towmotor

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2014
Welland

I have used these bottles myself without issue, and despite the "for external use only" warning you should not be too concerned if the product is marked USP Grade IMO.
USP Grade is defined as below:

"A chemical grade of sufficient purity to meet or exceed requirements of the U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP); acceptable for food, drug, or medicinal use; may be used for most laboratory purposes. 4. N.F. A grade of sufficient purity to meet or exceed requirements of the National Formulary (NF)."

Again, IMO, good enough for food...good enough for vaping.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
FYI @AlterUrEgo, I buy 4 L of PG from The Broke Vaper for $47 shipped and with tax. Their liter bottles are $13, so not such a good deal with shipping. I mix my juices 90 - 100% PG so the big bottle isn't a problem for me :)

Their VG is the same price.
Luckily for me, the Broke Vaper is literally across the street from my inlaws place, so I arrange with Danny to pick up PG and VG in 4l bottles. Essentials Depot in the US is cheaper, but these things are heavy, so shipping costs will be expensive from everyone.

8l lasts my wife and I over a year, so I don't mind paying a few extra bucks to buy local. Shoppers and Walmart IS much more expensive though.

Reactions: Ryedan

sorrynomore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Canada
I did ask the pharmacist at both the Shoppers and Pharmasave here intown and I got deer in the headlights looks from both and a no on both PG and VG. I didn't ask at the Extra Foods pharmacy. The little bottles in the first aid I saw too but they are pretty expensive.
Pharmasave did have a 1lb roll of cotton baton that is flat with a top layer that can be peeled off that looks like the squares of that expensive Japanese cotton but in roll form, it was 6 bucks. That was wayyyyy back before I discovered rayon, still have the roll with a maybe a little bit that I used. I have quite a collection of past wicking materials, many sizes of silica, 5 sizes of ekowool, hemp fiber, cotton baton, cotton balls and 3 sizes of mesh all sitting in the closet. Rayon has been my wick if choice for a long time now and gonna be for a long time to come.

I get both pg and vg at the Shoppers by my Mothers house (Ontario).It was close to 40 dollars for a liter of pg and a liter of vg.taxes included.When my order came in the pharmacist asked if it was for an electric cigarette and I replied yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread