Not open for further replies.

Freedom2Vape

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2015
Texas
My bad :( However, the same applies there as well.
I, nonetheless, stick with a 2.4mm coil in my Calix. 8 odd wraps, 28AWG, around 1.2 Ohms.
I did a 2.5mm 28g 6/5 wrap to get a 1.1Ω coil - running at 13w and love the flavor. Since I use the coil master, I could try 7/6 wrap to get a 1.2Ω.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I need advise coiling AWG28 kanthal for Calix using 18350 mech mod. I''m using the new AW18350(15C, 800mah).
What would be the optimal single coil diameter and number or wrap?

I typically use 1.2ohm microcoils of 6 wraps of 28awg Kanthal around a 2.4mm rod in my RTAs. I use these same coils in my Calix but I pull them apart to make spaced coils. I haven't experimented with other types of coils in the Calix because these have been working very well for me.

I did a 2.5mm 28g 6/5 wrap to get a 1.1Ω coil - running at 13w and love the flavor. Since I use the coil master, I could try 7/6 wrap to get a 1.2Ω.

Please help clarify something for me. You're referring to 6/5 wraps and 7/6 wraps, but wouldn't a coil with a half wrap indicate that the wire leads are both going in the same direction (like for two posts in an RDA) whereas with a full wrap the wire leads would be going in opposite directions used for a deck like the Calix? Unless you have an interesting build where the leads are both going to the same side of the deck I can’t envision using a coil with a half a wrap. I mean no disrespect, I'm just trying to clarify if I understand the terminology.

Freedom2Vape

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2015
Texas
I typically use 1.2ohm microcoils of 6 wraps of 28awg Kanthal around a 2.4mm rod in my RTAs. I use these same coils in my Calix but I pull them apart to make spaced coils. I haven't experimented with other types of coils in the Calix because these have been working very well for me.

Please help clarify something for me. You're referring to 6/5 wraps and 7/6 wraps, but wouldn't a coil with a half wrap indicate that the wire leads are both going in the same direction (like for two posts in an RDA) whereas with a full wrap the wire leads would be going in opposite directions used for a deck like the Calix? Unless you have an interesting build where the leads are both going to the same side of the deck I can’t envision using a coil with a half a wrap. I mean no disrespect, I'm just trying to clarify if I understand the terminology.

You are correct...not sure what I was thinking :facepalm:

Zbeast08

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wilson, NC, USA

What difference do you find in spaced coils vs tight coils? I am still using tight touching microcoils!! I remember that there was a time that the tighter the coils the better than loosely wrapped silica like in the Sophia! Just curious as I dont want to be missing some new tricks!
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
What difference do you find in spaced coils vs tight coils?

I've done two builds on my Calix, one with touching coils and one with spaced coils, and I can't say that I've noticed a difference in performance. Nonetheless, I think that I prefer spaced coils as I feel that more of the wire is utilized and in contact with the wick as touching coils seem to result in long and unused leads on the Calix deck.

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
What difference do you find in spaced coils vs tight coils?
Personally, I find slightly spaced coils will burn the wick less...but that's just from my own experience.
I can get away with changing my wicks out less frequently, when I run a spaced coil, whereas a tightly wound contact coil will burn right through the wick.
It may be that, once the juice flows up the wick, to the contact coil, it gets vaporized by what is essentially a tunnel of hot wire...and it never fully gets through to the other side, or at least the middle.
With a spaced coil, juice hits each wrap separately, and slightly cools each once, meaning the juice might have a chance to flow to the middle of the wick...
Just my musings on the subject. To each their own.

Billie-cig

Unregistered - Closed
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
Athens,Greece
www.byLeo.eu
Has anybody setup Calix with silica wick? I will give it a try but any experience is appreciated.
You can do it with no problem. Most people use cotton-type wicking materials because it brings out more of the flavor of the liquid and it is easier to place in a coil with specific diameter. Silica has the advantage of being able to get dry-burned without a problem though
So it is just up to what you prefer :)

Billie-cig

Unregistered - Closed
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
Athens,Greece
www.byLeo.eu
What difference do you find in spaced coils vs tight coils? I am still using tight touching microcoils!! I remember that there was a time that the tighter the coils the better than loosely wrapped silica like in the Sophia! Just curious as I dont want to be missing some new tricks!
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Usually tight-coil setups are used wherever you need to make the coil heat faster, like in cloud chasing or if the conductivity of your mod needs the boost. Also if the deck of the atty is small, with not enough room for space between the coils.
Spaced-coil setups, like mentioned above, help the vapor go through the coils with ease, can vaporize liquid from a bigger surface of the wicking material and regulate the temperature better, which is safer for the wicking material, especially for cotton-type wicks. It is also harder for resin of the liquid to build up over the coil in a well spaced setup.
But in a well built atomizer, the cooling sytem the liquid provides, running though specific channels, will prevent any sudden over heating of a tight-coil setup and providing its air-flow system is correctly placed, you won't see much of a difference in performance, so whetever works best for you :)

archimede

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2013
Turkey
You can do it with no problem. Most people use cotton-type wicking materials because it brings out more of the flavor of the liquid and it is easier to place in a coil with specific diameter. Silica has the advantage of being able to get dry-burned without a problem though
So it is just up to what you prefer :)
Yes Billie, i prefer fiber wicking, too. But my wife likes silica and my Calix. :)
So i will try silica in Calix and if she likes it, i will order a new one for her. Do you have any recomandations for silica wick positioning through the juice channels?

Billie-cig

Unregistered - Closed
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
Athens,Greece
www.byLeo.eu
Yes Billie, i prefer fiber wicking, too. But my wife likes silica and my Calix. :)
So i will try silica in Calix and if she likes it, i will order a new one for her. Do you have any recomandations for silica wick positioning through the juice channels?
Depending on the diameter of your coil and your wick, you will have to choose how many wicks you will push through. I have gone up to three and just placed the tails at the center and corners of the cup's space on the sides, not blocking the liquid feed, leaving about 1,5 centimeters touching the base as they don't sit on the whole surface of the base, so you still leave room for the liquid to surround the base

archimede

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2013
Turkey
Depending on the diameter of your coil and your wick, you will have to choose how many wicks you will push through. I have gone up to three and just placed the tails at the center and corners of the cup's space on the sides, not blocking the liquid feed, leaving about 1,5 centimeters touching the base as they don't sit on the whole surface of the base, so you still leave room for the liquid to surround the base
Thank you Billie, will give it a try tomorrow.

Felix1220

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2011
Vienna, Austria
May I place a wishlist here?

Replacement glass for the Caged Tube (just in case somthing bad happend)
Caged Tube with „straight windows“

:)

N4CntPM.jpg

Billie-cig

Unregistered - Closed
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
Athens,Greece
www.byLeo.eu

N4CntPM.jpg
Awesome pic! We are looking for more designs for the caged sleeve already. :)

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
For this month's drawing, we are giving away a STR Beck tip line (STR10, STR15, STR20)
PM me to be included.
Have a great month! :D

:p Billie any comp you hold that has the word driptip in the prize had my attention. These are great driptips. Thank you again for these comps. :thumbs:

nebulis

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2014
Vienna, Europe

Straight windows for a straightforward guy - hi Felix :w00t:

(As for wishes: A Sophia-in-slim-tank-sized Calix. I mean, dreams and wishes are free )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread