Bypass mode a marketing gimmick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLawbird

Oct 19, 2016
Hi everyone, first post here. I did some searching and didn't find the answer, so I hope this is the right place for this thread.

Let me also preface this by saying I have a very basic understanding of electronics that stems from car audio systems, but its very possible and likely that my understanding IS fundentally flawed.

So I'm going to use the ipower 80w as an example, as that is the device I have ordered, and I've read the manual in preparation.
This device has a bypass mode to act as an unregulated device, however, the manual states that regardless of wether you are in bypass or vv/vw mode, you can only fire a coil between .1 and 3.5 ohm
Now in variable mode, using a .1ohm coil and achieving the max 80w, the battery has to put out 2.8v, and has a 28amp draw, leading me to believe the battery probably has a 30amp max draw.
Now I don't understand the point of the bypass, why not just set it to 2.8v in variable mode and let it rip. If as a safety feature, the device won't fire below .1ohm even in bypass mode, then I doubt that it'll let you exceed the max amp draw either.

And if in bypass mode it does start out at, lets say 3.8v into .1ohm, producing 144w with a 38 amp draw. And can do so safetly. Why not advertise the device as a 140w mod and demand a higher price for it.
If the later is the case, perhaps the batteries are more capable then they let on, leaving a margin to create higher wattage mods without the cost of actually uprading any of the hardware.
Or perhaps my understanding is just wrong. If it is please don't hesitate to correct me, I have an eagerness to learn.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
As far as I know, the bypass mode just outputs the voltage that is left in the battery. But it still has all the safety features and is still regulated and won't allow you to output more than what the amp limit is for that board. I think it's really pretty pointless and I've never heard of anyone running their mod on bypass mode.

Reactions: Baditude

traten

Sep 25, 2014
SE PA USA
I have two Picos fitted with Aspire Nautilus Minis firing 1.8 coils. My experience with unregulated mods has led me to this combination because of its simplicity. I have reached the sweet spot for me, I'm a simple guy. Add to this the Pico's sleek design, ease of battery swapping and maintenance, onboard charging capability, small, stealth portability and use-- it's perfect for me.

I run it only in bypass mode. This allays my safety concerns because now I'm running a simple device, a mod that regulates. So, 'though it may appear (bypass mode) crude and useless, it is good for at least one person-- me.

TheLawbird

Oct 19, 2016
Awesome, great quality and quick replies. I think I might like this place :p

Anyways, so it does basically work how I thought it would. A little pointless for most though, but I can see the potential, especially in a situation where there's a malfunction...although if that was the case I wouldn't inclined to use it even in bypass, for safety reasons.

Reactions: jackenite
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread