California Alcohol and Drug Educators (CAADE) Endorses THR and E-cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Source: email from Fr. Jack Kearney, Professor of Human Services and Addiction Studies,Cypress College, Loyola Marymount University

I am pleased to announce that the California Association for Alcohol and Drug Educators (CAADE) has formally endorsed the use of THR and electronic cigarettes. To my knowledge this is the first major organization in the addiction treatment world to take such a stand, and I will send this on to other similar groups and ask them for similar support.

I believe it is a small but important step as this represents support from experts in the addiction profession rather than amateur opinions from groups who take money from the pharmaceutical industry and who seem to be more interested in fighting smoking than helping smokers.
The specific policy statement and description of CAADE is below.

(My original motion used the word "smoking" rather than "tobacco", but to get it passed I had to accept a bit of a compromise.)

The California Association for Alcohol & Drug Educators (CAADE) supports efforts by the addiction treatment community to utilize its treatment expertise in developing tobacco cessation tools that include both abstinence-based and harm-reduction models including the use of electronic cigarettes.

CAADE accredits addiction studies programs in over 40 colleges and universities in California, Arizona and Nevada. It also issues the highest level of addiction counselor certification in California, and currently represents more than 6000 counselors, college faculty members and students.

It's a start.

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
In light of the recent push to ban e cigs on college campuses nationwide this is indeed a breath of fresh air. Lets hope it spreads quickly, is aggressively promoted by these professionals and has a powerful impact on the current thinking promoted ceaselessly and ingenuously by the paid shills of the pharmaceutical houses.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
So in short, this means that addiction counselors will be openly advocating e-cigs for those looking to quit smoking?
I think it means that some of them will be encouraged to do so.

What percentage "some" comprises is an open question.
As is what percentage of that "some" will actually do so.
:)

haiqu

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2012
Bundarra NSW

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Hmmm... very interesting. That list includes the Navy's drug and alcohol counselor training program. Maybe it will gain us a foot in the door to the military?

That would truly be wonderful.

I think it is too easy for civilian companies to just write off an employee that becomes dysfunctional when he or she quits smoking (even if the employer made smoking / tobacco cessation a condition for employment). They like to pretend that everyone feels wonderful upon quitting (other than maybe a day or two of discomfort). And if months have gone by and the employee is still under-performing... well there are loads of people looking for work. If they accepted the fact that cessation causes dysfunction for a good percentage of smokers, then they would have to take responsibility for their part in insisting on total abstinence.

The military, on the other hand, does its best to hang onto good employees. It is probably most obvious to ship captains that insisting on 100% abstinence results in a crew that is not performing as it should.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Hey Elaine- I have book marked that page- I hope that they post your reply!!
Amazing how close minded some people are....I'm sure your response will show the evidence this guy touted as non-existent.
Love how they also always ask if we are connected to the industry- well, yes! We use the products and our lives are also proof!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread