***California Assembly bill to BAN SHIPMENT OF E CIGARETTES TO ANYONE IN CALIFORNIA***

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Off Topic

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I understand the desire to squash it, but not sure how realistic that is.

What about the desire to address the issue? It seems like we've been discussing here many times, over several years. How would ecig companies be able to verify age of consumer via online sales? ...

See Post #78.

Seems to have Worked Fine for the Alcohol Industry for Many Years.

AegisPrime

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
The Fortesque Mansion, UK
BTW - If the Purpose of CA AB-1500 is keep tobacco out of the Hands of Minors, why don't they just Craft a Bill that would Require and an Adult Signature at the Buyers Door on tobacco / e-Cigarette sales via the Internet?

Kinda like what they do with Alcohol.

I think you answered your own question there :)

wjosephsimmons

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
City of Angels
How do they enforce that even inside the US? How do they actually stop someone in CA from buying online from a store in another state? I don't get it.

Just as it is with certain alcohol products (like 190-proof Everclear) or firearms ammunition (in specific California counties like Los Angeles), out-of-state online vendors will refuse to ship to a California destination (unless it is a verifiable business-to-business transaction, and not a private one) for fear of prosecution. This is the way it is currently.

And just how does that prevent anyone from ordering from a non USA site? Pretty sure CA isn't going to get special privileges from Customs, just because they are CA.

Because it would make it far more expensive to purchase e-liquid, DIY nicotine products and vaping hardware from an overseas online retailer, and such a cost increase would likely make it prohibitive for many vapers to continue vaping and for many analog smokers to switch. Shipping alone would double or more in cost, even for products produced in the USA.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
OK see now this is something to really worry about. Worrying about banning indoor vaping is a waste of time. When they go after online sales, that's a real threat. You can kiss your low price, your selection, and the availability of the products goodbye and every vendor in this forum will be going out of business. Stop wasting energy worrying about the right to vape at a hospital or whatever and concentrate that energy on focusing on keeping stuff like this from happening. Word.

This harkens back to Europe in the mid to late 1930's. It's OK to enact a stupid law that I support but heaven forbid you enact a ban that I don't agree with. Any ban, regulation, restriction based on stupidity should be fought against as it just makes it that much easier to chip away until the regulation you personally disagree with is enacted.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think you answered your own question there :)

Yeah... I was Kinda Leading the Witness.

But the Adult Signature angle is a Good Approach. Because it makes the Average person Wake Up and say... "Your Right. If this is All they Want, Why don't they Just do that?"

It also would be a Good way to Show the General Public that the Vaping Community is Against Minors Using an e-Cigarette.

exnihilo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
They can stop UPS and FedEx. I sell guns online and the easiest way of shipping them is via USPS. I show a copy of the gun dealer license at the post office and it's a done deal. UPS and Fedex have forms to fill out.

I can only speak for FedEx, but we have no extra forms to fill out. In fact, I do not even need to see proof of FFL from either side. What I cannot ship are alcohol and tobacco products, go figure.

Sent from my LG G2, using Smack-a-talk HD.

Technohydra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
Nebraska, USA
{MODERATED}

{MODERATED}

I really don't think finding workarounds is going to help us here. The people behind the bill will want it to pass as is, and likely will not consider a tiered tobacco licensing system that would require additional oversight and personnel in a state that constantly has money issues (for whatever reason).

UPS and FedEx are killed by the bill, USPS is federal, so that'll be out. Delivery is basically dead there. And the fines make it so prohibitive to attempt that no vendor will risk it after the law is enacted. You'll be forced to either attempt risky 3-party sales and shipments or to run for the border like a .......ed drug runner. This is how it starts, anyways, the real ....storm comes after.

I will relinquish the soapbox for the day to go pass out on the couch with a 102 fever, but I want to say again, please, please, everyone stop focusing on whether or not they 'can' or how to get 'your' supplies, or anything smaller than the total picture; you in California are about to lose your rights because some .......s in a Lincoln Towncar want their way, and for an obviously bull.... reason.

And if it happens to you, we will probably all fall, state by state, until the FDA deeming is simply the prayer over the coffin. I would dare-say this is the most important issue we as vapers are facing today, and we can stand together or die separately (of lung cancer and heart disease.).

Last edited by a moderator:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
This is beyond scandalous. It's twisted, malicious, and perverse. Look at that guy standing in front of a poster with a kid lighting up and feeling all high and mighty with his proposal to commit what equates to mass murder for millions of CA smokers and vapers:mad:.

I think it's time vaping suppliers begin to set up a few Tor marketplaces where nicotine consumers can freely purchase vaping gear and ejuice in resistance to the kinds of fascist policy people like this are trying to enact.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So What’s the Game Plan?

----

Write/e-Mail your CA Reps. Check.

Contact you e-Liquid Retailers and ask what They are doing and how you might be able to Help. Check.

How about going to your Local B&M and asking them if you could leave some links to this Thread, the Bill, and the Link to their Local CA Representative on a Half Sheet of Paper?

Would it be Crazy if a B&M who got 100 Customers a Day to their store Didn’t know Any of This was Going On?

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Off Topic

wjosephsimmons

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
City of Angels

wjosephsimmons

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
City of Angels
Your link didn't work for me, but here's another that might:

https://www.change.org/petitions/ca...ine-sales-of-e-cigarettes-in-california#intro

Please sign it: all vapers, everywhere, everyone! Sacramento needs to know what a bad idea this is.

Yes! See my response, above.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
See? It's always the same characters getting into office, and spending all their time bilking the people out of their money and freedom.

Just curious: have you ever volunteered for a candidate? Stuffed envelopes, participated in a phone bank, walked a precinct?

If you have, I share your pain.

If you have not, you're letting whoever has the most advertizing money grab all the votes.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I really don't think finding workarounds is going to help us here. The people behind the bill will want it to pass as is, and likely will not consider a tiered tobacco licensing system that would require additional oversight and personnel in a state that constantly has money issues (for whatever reason).

The workarounds are in response to the perceived problem.

If I base my comments solely on the bill and likelihood that The Vaping Party will make a dent in influencing the proposed legislation, I will have very little to offer. I see it as surely passing, but not doing much to address the stated problem. Minors will, with certainty, continue to vape if this bill is passed. Again, I am 100% certain on that assertion.

And if it happens to you, we will probably all fall, state by state, until the FDA deeming is simply the prayer over the coffin. I would dare-say this is the most important issue we as vapers are facing today, and we can stand together or die separately (of lung cancer and heart disease.).

To me, standing together means finding ways to be proactive about reasonable solutions that counter conflated claims on the politics that face us and participating in the process of reasonable solutions to what appears like legitimate concerns, i.e. that anyone of any age can get eCig products mailed to them, which includes people under age 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread