California Call to Action! Multiple bills threaten adult use of and access to vapor products

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
AB 768 (the tobacco Free Baseball Act), introduced by Assemblyman Tony Thurmond and co-sponsored by Senator Mark Leno, would include “an electronic device that delivers nicotine or other substances...“ in its definition of “tobacco products.” While, on the surface, prohibiting athletes from using a personal vaporizer on the field or on the bench might seem superfluous and even silly, the larger issue here is the tobacco product definition. Defining vapor products as “tobacco products” anywhere in California’s statutes will likely expose these products to taxes and other inappropriate tobacco regulations.

AB 768 is scheduled for a hearing in the Assembly Committee on Arts, Entertainment, Sports, Tourism, & Internet Media on Tuesday, April 7th, at 9:00 AM.

State Capitol, Room 437
Sacramento, CA 95814

Please take a moment now to call members of the committee urging them to oppose this bill.

For sending emails to committee members, please see contact information below

CA - Asm. Committee on
ARTS, ENTERTAINMENT, SPORTS,
TOURISM, AND INTERNET MEDIA
Asm. Member
Phone
Email Contact Form
Marc Levine
(916) 319-2010
Kansen Chu
(916) 319-2025
Jay Obernolte
(916) 319-2033
Adrin Nazarian
(916) 319-2046
Ian C. Calderon
(916) 319-2057
Jose Medina
(916) 319-2061
David Hadley
(916) 319-2066

SB 140, introduced by Senator Mark Leno, would deceptively alter the state’s definition of “tobacco product” to include vapor products -- which includes devices and component parts -- and apply this new definition to various other parts of the state’s code. A very intended consequence of this would be to ban vaping in the same places that smoking is currently prohibited.

SB 24, introduced by Senator Jerry Hill, would require vapor retailers not already licensed as tobacco retailers to acquire a tobacco retail license. Although SB 24 would prohibit sales to minors statewide, the tobacco retail license requirement is neither the most effective way to enforce age restrictions nor appropriate for this product category. Moreover, the bill would require “childproof” packaging for prefilled cartridges and bottled liquids -- a standard which is unattainable for any consumer product. (CASAA supports child-resistant packaging rules tied to a federal standard as both reasonable for industry and good for consumers.)

Please take a moment NOW to send emails to the committee urging them to oppose these bills.

Both SB 24 and SB 140 are scheduled for a hearing in the Senate Health Committee on Wednesday, April 8th, 2015 at 1:30 PM.

State Capitol, Room 2191
Sacramento, CA 95814

Please make plans to attend this hearing. For talking points to use in developing your comments to the committee on SB 140, please see here. Even if you are not planning to testify, your attendance is important as it demonstrates the many people affected by and engaged in this issue. (As a sign of respect, we ask that you refrain from vaping in the building.)

Please share this post on your Facebook wall and in groups.

Please see NorCal SFATA’s calls to action for AB 768, SB 24, and SB 140 for additional updates, talking points, and analysis.

(Writing Tip #1) If you have a lot to say, please craft your email in a separate word doc and then copy/paste it into the field provided. If you take too long, they system will time out and you will lose your work.
(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email.

Link to Call to Action: CASAA: California Call to Action! Multiple bills threaten adult use of and access to vapor products

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'm a little confused...

My Senate representative is not on the Senate Health Committee.
And my Assembly representative is not on the Assembly Committee on Arts, Entertainment, Sports, Tourism, & Internet Media.

So does that mean there is no point in me using the Call To Action links to send emails at this time?

Thanks!

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
I'm a little confused...

My Senate representative is not on the Senate Health Committee.
And my Assembly representative is not on the Assembly Committee on Arts, Entertainment, Sports, Tourism, & Internet Media.

So does that mean there is no point in me using the Call To Action links to send emails at this time?

Thanks!

Go ahead and participate. The campaigns through CQRC are now set up so that emails only go to your reps/senator. For some reason, the program is getting glitchy for a few people, but we haven't figured out what's up with that. So fill it out, press the send button, and cross your fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread