California SB140 to define ecigs as tobacco and treat vaping like smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-california-ecigarettes-restrictions-20150126-story.html
http://sd11.senate.ca.gov/news/2015-01-26-new-leno-bill-protects-public-against-exposure-e-cigarettes

Pharma shill Sen Mark Leno spewed this gilded turd in support of his murderous bill:
«No tobacco product should be exempt from California’s smoke-free laws simply because it’s sold in a modern or trendy disguise»

vaping advocates on Twitter had some choice words in reply too:
https://twitter.com/MarkLeno/status/559894845674639361

Sen Leno has the who's who of Pharmafia as his major donors:
http://www.followthemoney.org/show-me?c-t-eid=22531&d-cci=68&d-ccg=8#[{1|gro=d-eid

EDIT: reaction from Jacob Sullum
http://reason.com/blog/2015/01/27/claiming-e-cigarettes-are-deadly-califor

EDIT2: Greg Conley (AVA) defends vaping
http://www.kqed.org/a/forum/R201501270900

I propose we make an example of this sold out-minor ANTZ. CA vapers unite and recall the wannabe desk murderer. Send a message to all poly-ticks we will not stand to have them take away our right to life.

Last edited:

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I just saw an article on this and came to see if Reuters was having an early April Fools prank on us. What a piece of work. From Reuters:

"Whether you get people hooked on e-cigarettes or regular cigarettes, it’s nicotine addiction and it kills," Democratic state Senator Mark Leno, who introduced the bill, said in a telephone interview. "We're going to see hundreds of thousands of family members and friends die from e-cigarette use just like we did from traditional tobacco use."

I was angry about Washington and a few other states pulling some BS but this ranks right up there. This isn't misguided, it's a flat out lie. Gonna not get myself booted from ECF and come back to this tomorrow. What a ....... ....

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
hysteric.gif
These articles just get my BP up. I may only be average intellectually but even I know the difference between smoking and vaping. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Another great reason to click FlamingoTutu CASAA signature and sign up.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
"Whether you get people hooked on e-cigarettes or regular cigarettes, it’s nicotine addiction and it kills," Democratic state Senator Mark Leno, who introduced the bill, said in a telephone interview. "We're going to see hundreds of thousands of family members and friends die from e-cigarette use just like we did from traditional tobacco use."

TREAT NRT LIKE CIGARETTES! It's still addicting and being promoted for long term use by the drug pushers in white coats. "We're going to see hundreds of thousands of family members and friends die from NRT use just like we did from traditional tobacco use."

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
I would suggest the Senator to inquire into ketchup, obesity and cardiovascular diseases. As a tomato product (same family as tobacco), ketchup would contain at least traces of nicotine, which, according to the Senator's statement, create addiction. This is a more severe problem than smoking and vaping combined. While less than 20% of US is smoking/vaping, let's have a look at obesity:

Anglosphere_2007_overweight_rate.png

Obviously at 74% this is a most stringent issue.

We thus propose that ketchup should also be regulated like a tobacco product, sold only with a tobacco license, and only menthol approved as flavoring agent.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
"(c) (1) "Tobacco product" means any of the following:
(A) A product containing, made, or derived from tobacco or
nicotine that is intended for human consumption, whether smoked,
heated, chewed, absorbed, dissolved, inhaled, snorted, sniffed, or
ingested by any other means, including, but not limited to,
cigarettes, cigars, little cigars, chewing tobacco, pipe tobacco, or
snuff. "

Oh well. Potatoes and tomatoes are now to be sold only in licensed tobacco shops to adults only. Only in California!!!!

mj-laughing.gif

Last edited:

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Whether you get people hooked on e-cigarettes or regular cigarettes, it’s nicotine addiction and it kills," Democratic state Senator Mark Leno, who introduced the bill, said in a telephone interview. "We're going to see hundreds of thousands of family members and friends die from e-cigarette use just like we did from traditional tobacco use.
That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

But DC.

Isn't it a Better to Demonize e-Liquids Before you Tax the .... Out of them?

I mean, wouldn't it be the Wrong Spin to come out and say...

"There is mounting Evidence that e-Cigarettes are indeed Helping People stop Smoking. And Studies have shown that the Potential Harm in using e-Cigarettes is MUCH Lower than the NKOWN Harm in smoking.

By the way. We are going to have to Tax e-Liquids to bring them up to the Tax Level of conventional cigarettes. Because California is $26.2 Billion Dollars in Debt. And we as Lawmakers Don't Like to Cut Spending."

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Link posted on another thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-npr-now-about-e-cigarettes-now-ch-122-a.html, audio not yet up though, Proposed California Law Would Regulate E-Cigarettes as Tobacco: Forum | KQED Public Media for Northern CA

Guests:
Mark Leno, California state senator
Gregory Conley, president of the American Vaping Association, an advocacy group for e-cigarettes
Tim Gibbs, senior director of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network

Audio is now up.

ETA Or not. I only get about 30 seconds of audio before it cuts out. :glare:

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Audio is now up.

ETA Or not. I only get about 30 seconds of audio before it cuts out. :glare:

Just listened to the audio on my phone. Greg did a great job, the ACS shill spouted the usual "we just don't know enough." and the senator himself is either misinformed or just outright lying, I'll chalk that up to wishful misquoting though.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread