CALIFORNIA VAPERS: Things are getting ugly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Here is the original Call to Action...
CASAA: California "special session" bills threaten consumer access, choice, and use of smoke-free vapor products.

Here is a thread about it all from start to...

Well, I can't say "finish" just yet...
CA SB 140 dies in Committee!!! | E-Cigarette Forum

But that thread has gotten lost in all the political wrangling that has taken place recently...
So here is a recent update on the shenanigans these guys are trying to pull...
I just watched the video, I'll try to find the link but the vote was 8-2 in favor though the official vote has been put "on call" due to some committee members being absent. Unless some of those who voted in favor change their mind, it will be passed.

ETA:

So it seems we have to start making waves again.

Basically, a "special session" was called...
Whereupon the evil Senator Leno is trying to sneak his anti-vaping through the back door...

(d) Urgency statutes are those necessary for immediate
preservation of the public peace, health, or safety. A statement of
facts constituting the necessity shall be set forth in one section of
the bill. In each house the section and the bill shall be passed
separately, each by rollcall vote entered in the journal, two thirds
of the membership concurring. An urgency statute may not create or
abolish any office or change the salary, term, or duties of any
office, or grant any franchise or special privilege, or create any
vested right or interest.

The time is now to take action.
Like we've done so many times in the past.

See the Call To Action above.
And contact those that the Call To Action directs.

Let's stop them again, like we've done before.
:thumb:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks for the new thread on this DC2.
Here is an article with updates of the session so far. Senate panel votes to raise California gas tax 12 cents a gallon - ContraCostaTimes.com

From the Article Linked above...

"The bill that regulates e-cigarettes like regular cigarettes, sponsored by Sen. Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, had stalled in an Assembly committee whose members had accepted more than $170,000 in campaign contributions from the nation's two largest tobacco companies."

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains

"The bill that regulates e-cigarettes like regular cigarettes, sponsored by Sen. Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, had stalled in an Assembly committee whose members had accepted more than $170,000 in campaign contributions from the nation's two largest tobacco companies."
Sometimes I wish I could go back to a time when such things surprised me.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The same day Leno was spouting his lies, Public Health England posted this E-cigarettes around 95% less harmful than tobacco estimates landmark review - Press releases - GOV.UK

Thank you Lessifer. :)

Here is a Site where you can find your State Reps.

Find Address

And here is a List of Assembly Members with their Sacramento and Local Contact Information...

Members | Assembly Internet

Senators | senate.ca.gov
I would like to See Every California Vapor Contact their Reps. And what would be Wrong with Contacting B&M's in your Area that might be Clueless about what is going on?

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

Unless I'm reading this wrong, Big Tobacco has stepped in to stop Leno?
I imagine I'm not reading it wrong though, just that it was written horribly wrong.

Big Tobacco wouldn't be stepping in on this would they?
Maybe it was us, but we're not being given credit?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Unless I'm reading this wrong, Big Tobacco has stepped in to stop Leno?
I imagine I'm not reading it wrong though, just that it was written horribly wrong.

Big Tobacco wouldn't be stepping in on this would they?
Maybe it was us, but we're not being given credit?

Don't think it was so much BT as normal Issues with any piece of Legislation.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
So it's not buried in a quote:

Lessifer, it might just be me (for some unknown reason), but the video is echoing. Is there another link to it?

You should include a warning, Les: this video may be offensive to some viewers, may raise viewers' blood pressure to dangerous levels and, in some instances, may even cause heart attacks, nausea and vomiting.

Aha. Finally a wise description of the side effects to and ANTz bite.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...

Perhaps NJOY should have spent a little more money. Where are the other e-cig companies when it comes to donations? All I found was NJOY at $148000...

Reactions: JimDrock

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I contacted Stefan D to ask for his Input on these Current CA Bills.

Here is what he said...

I don't have the time to get sidetracked into lengthy discussions that usually happen (and derail) on forums but I do have an update to share that I posted earlier today...

There was a public hearing in the Senate Health Committee yesterday for SB-5 (Senate Bill 5) authored by Senator Mark Leno. This bill would effectively classify electronic cigarettes and vapor products as "tobacco products" which would result in California e-liquid manufacturers, being classified as "tobacco manufacturers" and subject to all the rules and regulations which govern tobacco product manufacturers and the sale of tobacco products in the state of California.

SB-5 was voted on and passed in the Senate Health Committee and is now scheduled to move on to the Appropriations Committee where it must be voted on again, and if it passes there it will then move to the House floor for all the California Senators and Assembly representatives to vote on. Then it would go the Governor to be signed into law. So while it did pass the first step, there are still several more steps before it becomes law.

Also, an identical bill is moving through the Assembly called AB-6 (Assembly Bill 6). AB-6 is scheduled to be heard in the Assembly Health Committee next week (we think Tuesday, but it's not fully confirmed yet). AB-6 will likely have to follow the same steps as SB-5.

If/when both SB-5 and AB-6 reach the House floor the 2 bills must then be combined into one for all the Senators and representatives to vote on, and for the Governor to sign into law.

While SB-5 passed the Health Committee, the goal for AB-6 is to get as much opposition for it as possible.

It's important for us as an industry stakeholder and business that would be directly effected by these bills to encourage our customers and consumers to contact their legislators and urge them to vote NO on these bills. CASAA has a very quick and simple form set up to allow Californians to contact their legislators simply by filling in their personal information (address, phone #, etc) and then click 2 buttons. That's it. It takes about 3 minutes. You can find the form here: http://bit.ly/FightForCA

Please encourage ANY vaper or business owner in California to complete this form and submit the letters.

We also need a large turnout at the Assembly hearing next week as well, so as many consumers and businesses that can attend please do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread