CALIFORNIA VAPERS: Things are getting ugly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Just as I thought. Nothing happened, then it will be delayed or tabled indefinitely. Maybe all the money BT has been spending lobbying against these bills has paid off...

You think? Bribery and corruption are alive and well in California? :lol:

Oh please, say it ain't so.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Okay, I think what is happening with abx2-16/sbx2-13 is that it was introduced so late, and there's a recess coming up, that it's just being delayed and won't be heard in committee for awhile. Of course, again, still unconfirmed. SFATA and notblowingsmoke.org are still asking for vapers to contact their legislators about it.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Okay, I think what is happening with abx2-16/sbx2-13 is that it was introduced so late, and there's a recess coming up, that it's just being delayed and won't be heard in committee for awhile. Of course, again, still unconfirmed. SFATA and notblowingsmoke.org are still asking for vapers to contact their legislators about it.

Specifics? Any CTAs that we should know about?

CASAA has been silent, even though I asked for help. Nobody in their forum replied to my post.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
If California falls only a matter of time before ny jumps on the bandwagon along with all the other states. What is there we can do for those of us that don't live in California?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not really sure what you can do besides get the word out, if you're on social media, use it. CASAA and notblowingsmoke and SFATA, make sure everyone knows those names.

and Thank you!

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Yeah. This is my understanding also, but someone did complain, somewhere, that not enough vapers showed up at the hearings--most were SFATA members and business owners.
Yeah, well, I don't know many people who can drop everything to be at a committee meeting on a Tuesday afternoon. If I could have gone, I would have.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

I honestly don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but there was a short article in OC Register a few days ago (Friday, I believe) about the proposed taxes, and it quoted someone as saying: "Be careful. We may be killing the golden goose."

Unfortunately, I don't have that paper anymore and couldn't find the article online. I think it was Joel Anderson.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I honestly don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but there was a short article in OC Register a few days ago (Friday, I believe) about the proposed taxes, and it quoted someone as saying: "Be careful. We may be killing the golden goose."

Unfortunately, I don't have that paper anymore and couldn't find the article online.
I believe SFATA is working the industry side because there really are A LOT of vape shops, e-liquid manufacturers, mod makers, etc. in California. If the industry moves out of California it will take jobs and related tax money out of the state.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I believe SFATA is working the industry side because there really are A LOT of vape shops, e-liquid manufacturers, mod makers, etc. in California. If the industry moves out of California it will take jobs and related tax money out of the state.

And the black market for cigarettes will explode. I've seen many articles and editorials arguing this very point.

Or maybe they simply realized that they don't have the votes. Wouldn't be the first time.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
well, that and they ARE a trade association.

The consumer side is less organized.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Even if one bill were pushed to next year, there are still the other five in play. I know you don't think anyone ever has to do anything about any possible legislation, I just don't really know why you feel the need to keep posting about it.

Or how you still believe it's a non-issue after Arkansas and Indiana

Is it all about money?
Funny those who cry about government overreach also cry about those who have differing opinions...
BT didn't hire a lobbying firm to work against the bills in Arkansas and Indiana, did they?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Is it all about money?
In California, unfortunately, no. Money is definitely a driving factor, but there are plenty of true believers here who think it is their duty to save the population from themselves. I don't know that any of the politicians are of that sort, but they know low lying fruit when they see it. If they can please the soccer moms by passing "easy" legislation, and possibly earn brownie points on the Hill for bringing in revenue, they're going to go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread