Wood Calling all Woodworkers: best sandless polish option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Wow! Beauty! Why wouldn't you want to just do it right the first time type of thing with it?? It might cost you a little time with the mod but the results will be 10 fold!! Why chance it really??!! Just my thoughts......

Well honestly, I went into it thinking beeswax would be my best (sandless) protectant, and I had the option immediately so I polished it up as soon as I got home (I always break down, clean and reassemble a new mech). I know it's a good option for furniture, but I started to wonder if it was my best choice where constant handling was involved.

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
Ask and ye shall receive! Carvings here, yes, which is one of my main concerns with sanding. Excuse the shockingly white leg. Been in my trunks all day trying to stay cool.

3jLa5MG.jpg
Oh, that is very nice(not the leg :p )

Reactions: VictorViper

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
If I do end up using Tung oil, I'll stick with the pure stuff. I'm trying to avoid polymers, petroleum and citrus. Thanks though!
Honestly if it were me I'd just keep hitting it with beeswax every week or so, I've got numerous copper mods and I clean the contact points and such pretty often, I don't see much difference in the maintenance just a bit of a different procedure.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
If you use tung oil, fear the rags you use. I had them spontaneously combust in my cabinet shop, & had a woodworking friend with the same experience.

Good advice there. I often jump the gun and burn my used Tung rags in a metal can, to avoid the Christmas rush.

The thread moved on after I went to bed. Having now seen the pic-- I'd tell you it's beautiful, but you already know-- Tung is going to be a bear to do. You'll have to soak the excess out of the tiny crevices, or the Tung will fill them. (I don't have to mention lint-free cloths rather than paper towels, do I?) Cleaning it will also be a problem if you handle it a lot between coats. Of course, beeswax will fill them too...

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com

This was already suggested and I appreciate the direction, but that forum consists of 51 threads, each one explicitly dealing with the creation of wood mods. While I may get the attention of more woodworkers in there, I can't help but feel that a mundane question like this is out of scope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread