Can anyone tell if you've been smoking an e-cigarette indoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
No - you cannot usually smell e-cigarettes after a period to let the room 'air out'.
This obviously doesn't discount the smell/residue from mass vaping, such as vape shops.

How do I know?... because I have a vaping attic where I spend a lot of time. There is no vape smell.
I also vape in hotel rooms and not one person has ever commented.

They can set their rules and you can decide what you wish to do. If they suspected, they would have to prove it and I don't think they can afford forensics to find traces of VG on the ceilings.
If you are really concerned or just an honest person, vape by the back door or something.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
The only way they can tell is if they actually see you do it. Don't let them see you vaping or see the actual cloud you're making.

Don't answer your door while vaping or stand looking out the window vaping. That should take care of it.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
If someones smells cinnamon bun but doesn't see a cinnamon bun they might get suspicious. :D
Just leave one of these on the counter to abate suspicion:

00062338897486_Front-1.jpg

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Speaking as a landlord:
E-cigarettes will stink up a room eventually IF the room has no ventilation. It takes a few months rather than a few hours, it smells like bad air freshener rather than cigarettes, and it’s water soluble so washing the walls will remove it.
However landlords have to constantly repaint and understandably tend to use cheap paint that often cannot take washing, and they really don’t like to paint the ceiling.
I vape in my own unit, but I can see why a landlord wouldn’t want the bother.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
I find the haze annoying when vaping indoors (really only a winter issue), so I generally take it outside, but it does clear quickly and just having a damn cat offers enough "ambient aroma" to make determining any long term odour effects impossible.

Anyway, the key points were above. Either respect their rules or just know what you're up against if you get caught. If nothing else, it won't utterly ruin the place for future tenants like smoking would. I'd personally take it outside most of the time but knowing myself, there'd be plenty of indoor hoots as well.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's probably not the smell that would get you, but nosy neighbors reporting vape activity. If ventilation is an issue in your unit, the bathroom surely has a fan? (Also, hard for neighbors to spot you from there). I personally hate air fresheners, but having one around might be a handy thing, even if you only plug it in if the landlord is doing an "inspection."

BTW, since it was mentioned, did you bring it up? Cuz if so, I'd be prepared for a "surprise inspection" even though most places require notice to the tenant of landlord arriving. Maybe let a few nosy neighbors see you vaping outside a bit, if you decide to go for inside.... Etc....

You could lose your security deposit if the landlord does suspect anything and whatnot. If you have carpet, it might need "shampooing" and etc., etc., you could also be out a place to live. All things to consider.

Anna.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Depending on what you vape you can always say you just warmed something up in the microwave (cinn o bun) and ate.

Real hard for them to nail you unless you are vaping crazy flavors.
Won’t matter for the repaint they can unilaterally just charge you. Might keep the landlord from voiding your lease though unless he actually catches you in the act.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It's probably not the smell that would get you, but nosy neighbors reporting vape activity. If ventilation is an issue in your unit, the bathroom surely has a fan? (Also, hard for neighbors to spot you from there). I personally hate air fresheners, but having one around might be a handy thing, even if you only plug it in if the landlord is doing an "inspection."

BTW, since it was mentioned, did you bring it up? Cuz if so, I'd be prepared for a "surprise inspection" even though most places require notice to the tenant of landlord arriving. Maybe let a few nosy neighbors see you vaping outside a bit, if you decide to go for inside.... Etc....

You could lose your security deposit if the landlord does suspect anything and whatnot. If you have carpet, it might need "shampooing" and etc., etc., you could also be out a place to live. All things to consider.

Anna.
24 hour notice is a legal requirement in Minnesota. Can’t speak to other states

c.e.ll

Oct 3, 2017
Well I've never mentioned it it just happened to be something that was in the tenancy it is a student house but it's a 4 bedroom house as my dad is a mature student and it's for the family it may be more targeted at people that live together and return each other or find it a nuisance I don't know they just say there was a fine involved and I just wondered how they would know also I just vape menthol

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Hello & Welcome
If your up to annoying the landlord, get the following diffuser and if the landlord calls you out on vaping tell him, this is my air diffuser..... Ohhh,,, and this is my portable air diffuser...
Then ask him which scent he likes better, Vanilla Bean or the Musk.

Most grumpy pr!@ks will pick the Musk.....
I'm pretty sure there is no Musk ejuice.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread