Can E-cigs make you sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numfluff

Mar 16, 2010
Uk
Hello everyone, I've been vaping for about four months 7 months in total, but the last four months i got my new electronic ciagrette the Tornado, I've been very ill three times within these four months, the exact same fever aswell.. starts with a sore throat then turns into a full blown flu which last around 1 week. I was wondering has anyone else experienced this before? it could be something else besides then electronic cigarette but just want to see if this has happend to anyone else.

Thanks.

I am sick after quitting smoking

after the question go down 3 posts and lucyb explains some of this.
i'll quote it here though..

Hi! Much congrats on quitting smoking, it's a huge step!! I am a nurse, and acquitted 7 year smoker (ha ha), going on 10 months now staying quit. You're not sick, and antibiotics will do nothing but lower your resistance to real infections in the future, not to mention most antibiotics will do number on your stomach. Your withdrawal symptoms are perfectly normal, everyone experiences some of these to varying degrees. The reason you're coughing up stuff, having a sore throat, ear issues etc... your cilia in your airway, which are tiny microscopic tubes that move mucous and saliva along, get killed by your smoking. Ever had a cold when you smoked, and the smoking actually kind of seemed to make you cough less? However, these little guys are able to regenerate. So, when you quit, and they start coming back, of course they start working again, and start bringing all that crap that has been sitting in your lungs the whole time, and bringing it up to the surface. So, it's a good thing! Feels lousy, I know, but it will pass. Drink lots of water, that helps break up some of the secretions. For your ears, I'm guessing some stuff is also draining upstairs, too. Hope this helps.

to my understanding the nose cavities are a host to germs. smoking gives you a ton of tar coating the lining. my guess is that now that the tar isn't making a sort of glue strip to trap them your body is getting more germs.
i'm no dr. but i have heard of people swabbing the insides of there cavities with qtips and rubbin alkie while people are getting sick around them and staying healthy.

really though with out knowing when and how you became sick by asking the germs it could have been anything.
from people around you, the juice supplier was sick, or some other contact.

audio

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Nebraska
Hello everyone, I've been vaping for about four months 7 months in total, but the last four months i got my new electronic ciagrette the Tornado, I've been very ill three times within these four months, the exact same fever aswell.. starts with a sore throat then turns into a full blown flu which last around 1 week. I was wondering has anyone else experienced this before? it could be something else besides then electronic cigarette but just want to see if this has happend to anyone else.

Thanks.

There's a thread in the ECF Library titled "Understanding your symptoms . . ." What you're describing isn't listed among any of the expected symptoms, and may not be caused by vaping.

You might try cleaning your cart and atty with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. I clean my attys every few days with isopropyl alcohol and haven't had a problem. You might just be reinfecting yourself with something.

Where did you get your juice from? Perhaps you should change suppliers. I've avoided juices from China, but even US makers may have quality assurance issues. Try changing carts, attys and juice.

Consider seeing a doctor.

Good luck, Num, and get better soon!

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
I've actually had LESS illness since I started vaping - a cold I did have lasted 3 days instead of the usual 2 weeks and I didn't get my often-aquired sinus infection (thank GOD). COlds also used to go straight to my chest, but this one didn't - and tbh usually by April Id have been sick a few times (with colds the kids bring home from school with distressing regularity) instead of once.
The only downside for me has been an increase of hayfever - and I attributed that to a healthier nose picking up more pollen (reading Distorted's post it looks like I wasn't far off lol)
I do try and remember to sterilise my carts (I use an alcohol bath followed by hot soap n water and rinse) as often as possible; Im sure lots of germs cling to them if we aren't careful but as PG is something of a germicide I haven't been too fussy over it lol.

UntamedRose

PV Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
Homeish now
Yes it could be something else, it could just be the flu virus :)

I think with this new unproven thing, lot of folks are quick to blame it for every little thing. It's unknown so it's kinda understandable. If you go to the health section of this forum there is a lot of resources and folks talking about health effects.

But to answer your question no, only negative side effect I've had is getting dehydrated quicker then before.

zelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2009
Echo Beach
Numfluff what type of ejuice are you using? You may have an allergy to either pg or vg. Check what type of ejuice you're using and then switch to see if that's the problem. When I first started vaping I tried all vg and didn't feel all that great. I had no problem with all pg but some people do. This may be a long shot and you may have a recurring virus but it's worth a try.

sugismimi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
SOUTH CAROLINA
were never that extreme, but i would and sometimes still do get the chills and the squirts:oops:, even to this day i havent coughed up stuff from my chest, but lots of people were always asking me why I bother to smoke if i don't do it that much?. I thot I smoked too much, but 1 a day is too much, huh?
anyway, just this am I took all my carts and atty's and decided it was time for a bath. I have white whistle tips and really looking at it, I saw some pretty gross stuff. OMG, can you imagine what you can't see on the black tips:confused:. I wondered if my clogged ears had anything to do with the germs on there, but I doubt it..
Anyway, DO NOT give up your quest, just think kill the germs and keep your equipment clean.

Conboy

Mar 23, 2011
ny
YEA NUMFLUFF IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM.WAS HAVING A PARTY AND WAS CHAIN VAPING,i was using old tanks that i did not clean.The next day my lungs hurt and now i feel like im getting a cold,i must have got a bug in my lungs or something..I dont know if this is why,but im gonna stop vaping for a few days,take some meds,and clean everything with alcohol! I hope this is why i am sick???

Last edited:

redheadone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2011
North Carolina
A little over two months into vaping I woke up feeling really bad I just put it off to maybe having a bug. A couple of days later my legs and hands hurt so bad I could hardly move. I put a thread on this forum asking what could possibly be happening and a lot of folks thought I wasn't drinking enough water. I started drinking a lot more H2O and behold my symptoms are slowly subsiding. It seems that the pg and vg will dehydrate you quickly so if you aren't drinking a lot of water start and seem if some of your symptoms get better

Wrainn

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Louisiana
www.bayouswampjuice.com
Funny you should ask this questions. I have been vaping for 13 days now and up until yesterday all I was experiencing were bad headaches which I think are just withdrawals from analogs. I have tried different mg of nico but nothing has stopped the headaches. Last night, out of now where, I just threw up and this morning my throat is hurting pretty bad. I don't feel sick at all but do have these symptoms. Dunno, could be a combination of things I suppose.

b4cz28

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Spring TX (Houston)
It can be scary....people have to understand we been killing, punching and just generally f---ing up our bodys for years smoking analogs. A freaking pv is more than likely not the cause of many of your problems. I was quick to blame PG for my sore throat...but it turns out it was just all the pollen in the air. Just sit back and think of the 1,000's of things in analogs and then think about the two or three things in your pv.

1. Drink water like every vet on this forum tell you to.

2. Try VG first...%100 VG.

3. Lots of water.

HippyJeepChick

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2011
Sugar Land, Texas
I just got back from the doctor because I have had a really bad sore throat, headaches, stuffy nose, runny nose and feeling flush. Turns out I just have a viral infection. Doctor said she has been seeing alot of people coming in for viral infections lately. My lungs were clear but lots of drainage in back of my throat. I asked her if my e-cig could have contributed to this and she said no. I had it in my purse so I took it out and showed her it and demonstrated how it worked. She was very interested in it and asked alot of questions. The good news was that my e-cig was not the cause of my sickness! The bad news is; it is going to be a couple days before the antibiotics really start working and I feel better.

I had wondered about illness being passed on by carts.... does the atomizer heat the e-liquid hot enough to sterilize the vapor output to us? If one of the factories employees were to sneeze or cough while filling a cart.......

Not that I'm TOO concerned about it. Didn't stop me from ordering or anything, but I am interested in the possibilities.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread