Can I microwave my ejuice to speed up steeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I currently have about 15 bottles steeping away, shake them daily, let them breathe for about half an hour then back on the shelf. There are a few that Im really excited to try but my shake and vapes are always just a quick mix away. Ive got a pretty fun trick I like to use for my shake and vapes, its not overly precise but its workable and gets a 25ml bottle done in less than a minute.

Reactions: ChelsB

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Sounds like you are great at planning! My first ever diy was the week before Xmas. They're ready now!

Once I start using the previous batch I create a new one. 240ml of flavored and 120ml unflavored. I never want to run out! I mix about once a month. The unflavored is great for trying new flavors. I have three 10ml bottles made up now, one Lemon Meringue Pie, and two watermelons from different vendors.

Falco78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
United States
Or, you could just set them on the HVAC heating vent and let them get 120 degree air in cycles for a few minutes each time the heat cycles on.
That might even be better to do for a day

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
I just have a custard diy that I'm dying to try!

Ummmm, so try it, it may be good already. If it's not OK, try it again in a few days, weeks months....
Most of my DIY, I shake it up and fill a tank and go, by the time it's steeped there is so little left I have to mix again.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Ummmm, so try it, it may be good already. If it's not OK, try it again in a few days, weeks months....
Most of my DIY, I shake it up and fill a tank and go, by the time it's steeped there is so little left I have to mix again.

I tried it when it was less than a week old and it definitely needed more time!

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
I tried it when it was less than a week old and it definitely needed more time!

Time is something to try, but it won't always make a bad flavor good, or a good flavor bad.

I have some juice I tried early on, then after a week, then a month, then a couple months, then a year, then a few years...nope still needs more time....:lol::lol:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I still haven't had the nerve to try it, but I still want to...just like for 3 seconds and shake and then another 3 and shake. I don't see the harm in it. Will be in glass
Just remember to leave it uncapped to avoid pressure build-up and watch out for hot glass. I would also split a recipe (you know and like) into halves and try with only half. That way, you can compare the micro'd to the non-micro'd, and see of it does anything for you.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
I still haven't had the nerve to try it, but I still want to...just like for 3 seconds and shake and then another 3 and shake. I don't see the harm in it. Will be in glass

Try it, but taste it before on fresh wicking, then taste it again after 3 seconds, rinse and repeat. See if the heating actually makes a difference and how many seconds it takes to make it better (or worse)

Bigdaddi

Mar 19, 2017
Nasr City, Cairo - Egypt
Hi VapeLuvr,, any test results so far? I've tried the method on a new tobacco recipe and I'm not sure how to describe the outcome. I've tasted that recipe once after a good shake and 1 day of steeping with the cap on, and I could taste the different flavors but the juice was a bit harsh. Mixed the same recipe a few days later but tried microwave steeping by giving the 30ml glass bottle with juice a 5 second round (cap on - MW power reduced to 560 Watts - 60VG/40PG blend), shake by whizzing it using a coffee blender until lots of bubbles are in the liquid (but not foaming the liquid) then into the freezer for 2 minutes or a bit more until the bottle is back to room temperature, then repeat 2 more times making it a total of 3 rounds, then on the 4th and final round just keep it in a cool dark place instead of putting it back in the freezer,, and the outcome was something I couldn't figure out, as it was either mellowed out or muted,, which I cannot figure out clearly as I haven't steeped that recipe before using the natural steeping method.

Let me know your thoughts. I wish I could find a thread that relates to this topic without other comments that aren't related to MW steeping. I mean I get that there are other methods and safety related highlights that we all probably know about already,, but just wish that complete focus would be on MW steeping itself and the different attempts' outcome and feedback by those who tried it or are still using it. I may have come across a thread that talked about how well MW steeping could with with some flavors but not all; can't recall though whether I really did read something like that or if it's just my imagination after all the reading of different threads about this topic trying to capture precise feedback that I can make good use of, again focusing on the MW steeping method.

Last edited:

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Hi VapeLuvr,, any test results so far? I've tried the method on a new tobacco recipe and I'm not sure how to describe the outcome. I've tasted that recipe once after a good shake and 1 day of steeping with the cap on, and I could taste the different flavors but the juice was a bit harsh. Mixed the same recipe a few days later but tried microwave steeping by giving the 30ml glass bottle with juice a 5 second round (cap on - MW power reduced to 540 Watts), shake by whizzing it using a coffee blender until lots of bubbles are in the liquid (but not foaming the liquid) then into the freezer for 2 minutes or a bit more until the bottle is back to room temperature, then repeat 2 more times making it a total of 3 rounds, then on the 4th and final round just keep it in a cool dark place instead of putting it back in the freezer,, and the outcome was something I couldn't figure out, as it was either mellowed out or muted,, which I cannot figure out clearly as I haven't steeped that recipe before using the natural steeping method.

Let me know your thoughts. I wish I could find a thread that relates to this topic without other comments that aren't related to MW steeping. I mean I get that there are other methods and safety related highlights that we all probably know about already,, but just wish that complete focus would be on MW steeping itself and the different attempts' outcome and feedback by those who tried it or are still using it. I may have come across a thread that talked about how well MW steeping could with with some flavors but not all; can't recall though whether I really did read something like that or if it's just my imagination after all the reading of different threads about this topic trying to capture precise feedback that I can make good use of, again focusing on the MW steeping method.

Hi Bigdaddi! Thanks for commenting, I'm glad they haven't closed this thread. I'm surprised that there aren't more people at least trying this. I am absolutely no expert in this (which is why I started this thread) but I'm going to tag @IDJoel to see if he has any input as he's quite experienced in DIY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Due to another member on another forum talking about microwaving e-Liquid I tried it. It got so hot in less than 15 seconds I would never ever attempt it again. Super heated liquids can be very dangerous and since the e-Liquid got hotter than I wanted it I will never do it again. I submerse my bottles in 140-150 degree water and that is is. Infrared temperature sensor keeps things recorded.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Due to another member on another forum talking about microwaving e-Liquid I tried it. It got so hot in less than 15 seconds I would never ever attempt it again. Super heated liquids can be very dangerous and since the e-Liquid got hotter than I wanted it I will never do it again. I submerse my bottles in 140-150 degree water and that is is. Infrared temperature sensor keeps things recorded.

Thanks for sharing, Steve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I am absolutely no expert in this (which is why I started this thread) but I'm going to tag @IDJoel to see if he has any input as he's quite experienced in DIY
Don't confuse experience "experience" (time) with "expertise" (skill).:D I may have more time under my belt that some others but that does not necessarily make me a "better" mixer. I would grade myself as no more than "adequate." I mix well enough for my own purposes (which is what I think most of us strive for) but I have NO delusions that I could ever make any semblance of a living as a professional mixer. I still learn new, better, more efficient ways, to DIY almost every day; and much of that comes from many of the fine folks here on ECF.

All I have is a big mouth, a willingness to share my own experiences, and an understanding that my way is not the only way/best way of doing anything.;):D I only hope to contribute to the conversations, and perhaps, offer yet another viewpoint.
I'm surprised that there aren't more people at least trying this.
If I had to guess (and that is totally what follows;)) I would say that probably many of us have tried/played/experimented with this method.

I can only speak about my own experience but early testing was not particularly positive. My big problem was controllability, and therefore repeatability. I never worked with a sample size larger than 15mL, and because of that (compared to working with say 120mL/4oz. and larger), I found it extremely difficult to hit any target temperature. It would go from room temp to "Dang that's hot!" in a matter of just a couple of seconds.

This caused a couple of things that were/are not acceptable to me (others may not care; and I would not say they were wrong). The first problem is the nuked bottle would inveriabley shoot up well above the 140F that I personally never want my nicotine-containing e-liquids to go over. So if I were to persue this method I would have to add my nicotine after any microwaving.

The second problem is the loss of much of the aromatic flavor notes. Notes like citruses, fruits, berries, florals, and such. Many of the compounds that make these up (as I understand it) are what we call "volatile compounds." Volatile compounds simply describe compounds that evaporate quickly at room temperature. Now add to that heat, and worse, uncontrolled heat, and you have a great recipe for loosing a lot of those delicate notes. Not okay for me.

It may simply be me, and my poor abused taste buds, but most of what I "taste" when I vape, comes only on the exhale. This is when some or all of the vapor passes through my nose. If I hold my nose closed while a take a complete puff (in and out) I taste almost nothing. Then I can repeat the very next puff without pinching off my nose, and as I exhale through mouth and nose, all the flavor instantly returns. Because of my own personal dependency on the "smell" part of tasting; I am too selfish to needlessly sacrifice those precious volatiles that contribute to what I can taste. Others may find that this is not an issue.

I guess the last thought I have, on microwaves for speed steeping, is that it really is just yet one more method of heat treating your juice. It does the same thing as a crock pot, coffee cup warmer, a bowl of warm dry rice grains, or even a simple pan of water. The only benefits are it is a bit faster (a matter of a few seconds vs. several minutes to several hours), and you don't have to worry about floating bottles or water seeping into the mix. The downside would be the difficulty controlling specific temperature (too fast?).

Those are my thoughts. Others may have a completely different take.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread