Can I use my cell phone charger (USB port) to charge my eGo-T Batteries??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
I mentioned in another thread that madvapes told me to get the 5v, 2amp AC adapter for their 900mAh eGo batt. UncleChuck said I could use my existing 5v, 1amp (I assume, it says Output 5V===1A). If I do, does it just mean it would take twice as long to charge?

Maybe MV thought I was asking about the eGo passthrough?

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I mentioned in another thread that Madvapes told me to get the 5v, 2amp AC adapter for their 900mAh eGo batt. UncleChuck said I could use my existing 5v, 1amp (I assume, it says Output 5V===1A). If I do, does it just mean it would take twice as long to charge?

Maybe MV thought I was asking about the eGo passthrough?

They might have thought you were talking about a passthrough.

A computer's USB port usually only puts out about 500mA, so the charger will work just fine with a source of at least 500mA, so your 1a wall unit is capable of 1000mA.

It will take the same amount of time either way, as long as you meet the minimum requirements of the charger (around 500mA) then it will charge at the same rate.

I totally understand you wanting to be sure though, so I'm sure someone else will come along and confirm this.

Hope this helps!

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
UncleChuck (I'm only 3 hours south of you, can you guess where?), Iffy, dormouse, thank you all!!! Knew not all PV AC adapters are the same, I just didn't want to damage a $20 eGo batt. Feel much better, will use my 1 amp AC adapter. :)

Btw, I just realized ma = milli-amp (1000th of an amp)? That was my confusion.

Last edited:

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
Let simplify things a little, if your talking about the cig lighter adapter with a USB in the back of it. It'll work for charging only, passthroughs don't, got one from Verizon two smartphones ago. All the USB chargers have a rather large end on them that you plug the batt into, that houses the protection circuit for you batts. As far as the adapter goes I used whatever my friends have had in their cars with no problem, On the other hand I wasn't paying attention and plugged a batt into the wrong USB charger and it killed the batt and the port in my PC case.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I would just feel better if I knew a little more about the OP's charger.

When I go on a trip, the last thing I want is an equipment failure. So for me, buying a "Universal" USB car charger for 10 bucks makes sense. I can use it on the trip and then keep it in the car as a backup for later.

I guess I just don't go on enough trips/vactions to feel I have to do things on the cheap and then risk being stuck with a fried e-Cig or whatever.

----

A little off topic but not to bad.

Here is a funny, or perhaps not so funny thread from awhile back.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/103551-no-name-e-cig-adaptor-fried-my-iphone.html

I'm pretty sure that you arn't going to have a problem but I don't want to be the one to tell you it's ok and then have your eGo batteries fry.

Your husband would shoot me if he had to be in the car with you all day and you didn't have a working eGo ;)

Those "Universal" USB charges are cheap and you can find them in most stores that sell anything computer or cell phone.

We are heading through rural America so I would have to make a detour to..um...Denver and search out a vape store!! For sure I WOULD NOT want to buy analogs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread