Can non-smokers that vape potentially lead to real cigarettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
For a person new to vaping who was never a smoker if I remember right you appear to have a great many concerns in my opinion. Didn't you say you were thinking of taking up smoking but decided against it and started vaping instead? Although vaping is 95% or more safer than cigarette smoking it is much safer than smoking and most use it as a means to quit or a way to keep from returning to smoking. Personally if a person never smoked I would not recommend they start vaping and I can give you a great many reasons to never start smoking. Just my personal opinion and my feeling on the subject matter.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
COULD it, sure. But it's FAR more likely that a non-smoker vaping would satisfy their interest in inhaling something and NOT smoke, which they otherwise might. FAR less chance of addiction, no cancer-causing additives, minimal impact on lungs...
Not inhaling anything is best, but vaping is at LEAST 95% safer than smoking - plus, like @bsidb said - it might prevent smoking because of taste alone...

(Actually - LEAD-to?...that's REALLY unlikely now that I think about it. If someone who vapes begins to smoke....they were gonna smoke anyway. And if someone was gonna smoke, but they vape - maybe they won't smoke.)

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Lots of things COULD happen.

I don't think it's super likely. Vaping is far more pleasant an experience, IMHO.

On the other hand, the one thing that opponents never say about smoking is that the effects feel (subjectively) amazing when you first pick it up, and some of those effects are caused by chemicals that simply aren't in e-liquid. IF a non-ex-smoker vaper were to pick up a cigarette and really liked the feeling, I could see them getting sucked in like many of us did.

I just can't really imagine why they'd pick up a cigarette in the first place, and don't particularly think most would.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Many of us X-Smokers now can't tolerate the smell of cigarettes any longer and it is amazing to me at least, for someone to say they think it actually smelled good. Yesterday at a party the smokers who returned to the table smelled nasty to me and I used to be one of them.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: Rickb119

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
But a person with the desire to start smoking who tried vaping instead will wind up being a smoker in my opinion as I quit many times over the 40 years I smoked and eventually went back to being a smoker. Maybe it was all the friends and loved ones I lost to the effects of smoking or spending so much time in Cancer Treatment centers that lead me to decide I had to quit. The best thing I ever did for myself was to quit smoking and I did it for me and no one else.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
The argument that those against vaping (think Tobacco Free Kids and organizations like them) use just this argument against vaping.

Studies have found the opposite to be true.

Why Is The CDC Lying About E-Cigarettes?

Teen smoking is at an all time low. Single digit percentages in fact.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
My opinion may be unpopular, and it is only my opinion, but I feel like it should be the parent's responsibility to ensure that their child doesn't get ahold of cigarettes, alcohol etc.. As a child, advertising didn't influence me to start smoking. I saw it as an adult thing to do. My parents smoked, my friends smoked.

A billboard didn't get me to smoke, a commercial didn't get me to start. Once I had been smoking for a long time, that's when commercials influenced me on my choice of cigarette.

Reality though was that my brands changed as I bummed cigs from others when I ran out.

I'm guess I'm just tired of the regulation of this and that thing. I'm just so damn tired....

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Any idea why I love the smell of cigarette smoke? Its weird.

Why? Because you want to be a smoker is all I can say. When I started smoking I actually go sick a few times but that did not stop me from developing a 40 year habit. Now I look back and say What the :censored: was I thinking?

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Any idea why I love the smell of cigarette smoke? Its weird.

I thought I was the only ex smoker/ vaper that enjoyed it still.

When Im out and about, if there is a smoker I relish the aroma, and as I walk by I take in a big ol' whiff and "memories" start washing in.

I love the smell. I never thought it was bad, obviously, if it was that bad I would have not kept smoking?

If the regulations and all the BS doesnt get straightened out, If I was a vapor that started and never smoked, I might be forced to get my "nic fix" from cigarettes. If the big tobacco/ politicians/ big money people dont get their cuts, dont be surprised if the cost of cigarettes actually starts to go down. It could happen :)

But yes. A vaper can switch to smoking for many reasons. Its all how they project the "vice" is a "cool" or rebellious thing ? Many young smokers I know through my sons friends etc, see "vapers" as idiot, douche bag, trendo, ignorant dummies just going with trends..... Honestly, if I had not started when I did, I might have kept on smoking rather than be stuck with the stigma of the " hey clouds, bra" "whats your MOD, man" "triple , quad alien coils for sure" stereotypes.

Its a fickle world out there. First we were freaks for starting to vape, now we have made a whole new group of freaks. I see it this way, Im still a freak but I feel better and at least after spending on vape gear I have something I love to look at VS what I spent on cigarettes all I had was dirty ash trays, empty cartons, and plastic wrap and yellow fingers.

samandmax

Moved On
Apr 26, 2017
Boston
I thought I was the only ex smoker/ vaper that enjoyed it still.

When Im out and about, if there is a smoker I relish the aroma, and as I walk by I take in a big ol' whiff and "memories" start washing in.

I love the smell. I never thought it was bad, obviously, if it was that bad I would have not kept smoking?

If the regulations and all the BS doesnt get straightened out, If I was a vapor that started and never smoked, I might be forced to get my "nic fix" from cigarettes. If the big tobacco/ politicians/ big money people dont get their cuts, dont be surprised if the cost of cigarettes actually starts to go down. It could happen :)

But yes. A vaper can switch to smoking for many reasons. Its all how they project the "vice" is a "cool" or rebellious thing ? Many young smokers I know through my sons friends etc, see "vapers" as idiot, douche bag, trendo, ignorant dummies just going with trends..... Honestly, if I had not started when I did, I might have kept on smoking rather than be stuck with the stigma of the " hey clouds, bra" "whats your MOD, man" "triple , quad alien coils for sure" stereotypes.

Its a fickle world out there. First we were freaks for starting to vape, now we have made a whole new group of freaks. I see it this way, Im still a freak but I feel better and at least after spending on vape gear I have something I love to look at VS what I spent on cigarettes all I had was dirty ash trays, empty cartons, and plastic wrap and yellow fingers.
Lots of people in my family were smokers.... possible genome connection to the smell infatuation?

Reactions: anavidfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread