Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I would hope that people reading this would actually take the time to research some of the chemicals that have been suggested.

Many statements - along the lines of 'wash or rinse thoroughly with water' after using isopropyl/rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide, assumes that these chemicals or the reminants of them being used to dissolve gunk on the coil and what resultant chemicals that occur after such interaction, is water soluble to where no film or any of the bad effects that are listed in the safety sheets of these chemicals, would remain.

Are you willing to take a person's word on this with regards of what it might do to your body even if the person claims 'no effect'? Or in one case a person who in earlier threads have claimed that he lost 3 attys in one week and was wondering what was going on.

Now all of this could also be true of stuff that is actually made for human consumption too - ie. some breakdown of chemicals in conjunction with the gunk on the coils to something else, but doesn't it make more sense to you to go with substances that have been researched as being for human consumption rather than starting with something that isn't?

Do some research - find out what the ppm limit is on peroxide for example, whether it is water soluble, what reactive oxygen species are and how that realates to free radicals. What type of film does isopropyl alc. leave and is it water soluble. And do the same with mouthwash, vodka and everclear.

Fud

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2009
Hawaii
It's alchohol not acetone. Acetone will melt plastic though. Don't believe me then try this put some rubbing alc in a glass and try soaking different kinds of plastics in it and you will it it does nothing to it at all. Now it is a poison so never let the stuff dry just rinse real good right after. And the claim that it's not water soluble is also false. What do you think is added to the 70% isopryopl? Yes the rest is water. It's not like mixing oil and water. Oh and btw notice the bottle is made of plastic as well.

It's just common sence to completely rinse it out with water until you are sure it's all gone.

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
You decide.
Isopropyl alcohol is oxidized by the liver into acetone by alcohol dehydrogenase. Symptoms of isopropyl alcohol poisoning include flushing, headache, dizziness, CNS depression, nausea, vomiting, anesthesia, and coma. Use in well-ventilated areas and use protective gloves while using. Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption.
Isopropyl alcohol is about twice as toxic as ethanol, and acts as a central nervous system (CNS) depressant. Its metabolite, acetone, is a CNS depressant in its own right. Around 15 g of isopropyl alcohol can have a toxic effect on a 70 kg human if left untreated.

I picked up a bottle of the ethyl rubbing alcohol figuring it would be a step better than IPA. Of course I will wait till it dries but any idea if it is actually a better choice than IPA? I'm no expert for sure.

Also am old enough and wise enough to listen to the advice of more experienced folks ;). The first step of wisdom is that when in doubt, ask someone who knows better.

VapoVamp

ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2011
N.C.
Hey Wolf, I'm still a newbie and will always consider myself to be one in the Vapor world...Its a constant change...which I LOVE!!! I've had 2 ego-t attys(1 LR) for 5 weeks and have never had them in any type solution...I just blow them out at bedtime and their fresh to go in the morning. Now carts I soak in warm water every 7+/- days and use the turkey baster method(you can find both these methods on u-tube). I've had no problem....sometimes less is more and healthier. See you in the vapehaze:vapor: GRIMMARMY.jpg
I picked up a bottle of the ethyl rubbing alcohol figuring it would be a step better than IPA. Of course I will wait till it dries but any idea if it is actually a better choice than IPA? I'm no expert for sure.

Also am old enough and wise enough to listen to the advice of more experienced folks ;). The first step of wisdom is that when in doubt, ask someone who knows better.

TrueNorthist

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cariboo Country, BC
I cannot speak from a great deal of experience here, but will second what has already been said about using toxic compounds as cleaning agents. It is madness to use noxious chemicals to clean something that is designed to convert liquids into a readily absorbed suspension. Trace amounts of some of these elements are decidedly mortiferous and should not be consumed in any amount -- no matter how diluted they may be. I have come up with an effective, simple and low cost method of cleaning both attys and cartos that does not expose one to the deliterious effects of these substances.

I use a mix of 75% household acetic acid (white vinegar) and 25% demineralized H2O (water) as an effective cleaning agent. I bring it to a low boil then toss in the devices for ~5 minutes. Note* Being sure to remove all grommets or drip tips first of course.* I move them around vigorously taking great care not to splash any boiling cleaner mix onto exposed skin. (wear gloves) Remove them with tongs, drip drain threaded end up until cool enough to blow out, (always from the open end) then drop again into cold, clean demineralized water. I bring it just to a boil a second time then remove and rinse through using the tongs to hold them and the previously mentioned caution against splashing. I then set aside to cool for 2 minutes then blow them out as much as possible. I do not use pressurized air as it may damage them or again cause injury. They are again rinsed by simply pouring the demineralized water through them repeatedly -- open end first, as always -- while periodically blowing them out until there is no trace of odour. I set them in a tray near a heat source at a 45 degree angle with the threaded end up for 2 to 3 hours. One can speed the drying process by playing a blow dryer over them which will accelerate evaporation significantly. Once they are completely dry, I "dry burn" 5 or 6 times them pop the grommets or drip tips back on, slip the condoms over both ends and place in a box marked "used cartos/attys -- clean".

They seem to be even fresher than new after this process and no harmful cleaning agents are used whatsoever.

Update* I should add that a third, or even fourth wash in fresh cleaning mix may be effective if the atty/carto is extremely dirty. More rinsing is also useful sometimes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread