Can we talk about safety for a moment E-Cigs/E-Lquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irontoiron

May 12, 2015
Wow! Well after I read a report on what R.J.Renaolds puts in their tobacco products I can just say I'm at a comeplete loss at why the hell they would put this stuff out for public consumption. Just Google "addictive substances in Cigarettes", It's like the third thread down. It was documented by the Public Health Department.It got me thinking what is in E-cigs, or the liquid, and can we by identifiable means know exactly what's in our e-liquid? Currently I'm using Halo Premium Liquid, and thought it was a safer way to go.I do know from a little bit of experience that E-cigs are waaaay safer, but how much safer?

jblack741

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
Detroit
I think that since we don't have published data on the long term use (>5yrs) and to the best of my knowledge no one has died as a result of vaping. I have also not seen any published unbiased study indicating a systemic condition(s) as a result of vaping, I would agree that it's safer and also acknowledging that not vaping is the only true safe way to go. Having said that I have made my own e-liquid for the past year and only use kosher certified vegetable based usp food grade VG, usp grade PG and nic from whom I believe to be reputable. Its all I can do to keep me safe other than not vape at all.

Its a simple matter for one to request test results from the e-liquid makers and most will happily provide that info. Even for me there is no guarantee that what I'm getting is harmless meaning pollutant free but for the most part US manufacturers have standards that they must follow and since the ingredients used in e-liquid are also consumed/inhaled in other products not related to vaping, I feel fairly confident that I'm getting a good product. I would like to think that most of the nationwide brand name products follow safe guidelines. my :2c:!

Irontoiron

May 12, 2015
I think that since we don't have published data on the long term use (>5yrs) and to the best of my knowledge no one has died as a result of vaping. I have also not seen any published unbiased study indicating a systemic condition(s) as a result of vaping, I would agree that it's safer and also acknowledging that not vaping is the only true safe way to go. Having said that I have made my own e-liquid for the past year and only use kosher certified vegetable based usp food grade VG, usp grade PG and nic from whom I believe to be reputable. Its all I can do to keep me safe other than not vape at all.

Its a simple matter for one to request test results from the e-liquid makers and most will happily provide that info. Even for me there is no guarantee that what I'm getting is harmless meaning pollutant free but for the most part US manufacturers have standards that they must follow and since the ingredients used in e-liquid are also consumed/inhaled in other products not related to vaping, I feel fairly confident that I'm getting a good product. I would like to think that most of the nationwide brand name products follow safe guidelines. my :2c:!
Okay thanks for your input I just had a guy in one of my circles say his friend died as a result of and E-Cigs. I really don't know the circumstances, But I think this is a worthy topic of discussion.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
''had a guy .. his friend'' .... knows someone who knows someone who heard from a buddy...

Thats how urban legends are spun. It's the same when articles go like ''well-informed sources who prefer not be named'' ( i.e. </bull...on> )... anything after that could be anything from the pure truth to utter rubbish.... :)

Circus artists and stuntpersons make a living off doing stuff that's inherently unsafe, else it wouldn't be interesting to watch ...

jblack741

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
Detroit
I would also like to see the details. On a personal note, when I told my doctor I was vaping I thought he was going to do back flips he was so excited. After 40+ years of smoking, I breath better and my smokers hack is gone, I don't snore anymore and I can walk up 3 flights of stairs without having to stop mid way to catch my breath. I'll go out on a limb here and say that that poor fellow died of an existing condition not caused by vaping but I believe that vaping may have played a role in prolonging the inevitable. Until we get our hands an a real medical report we will never really know what the cause of death was. And as I write this there is also the possibility that the person may have vaped something that he was not suppose to vape and that may have also been the cause. What was he vaping? How long had he been vaping? Who was he getting his e-liquid from? When was the last time he had his chest checked and what were the results. I think if e-cigs usage had really been the culprit our detractors would have been all over it because it would have not only given them a feather so to speak but concrete proof that vaping kills and is worse that cigs!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hi Iron and welcome.

May I suggest you join CASAA (it's free, but contributions are always welcome) and visit their website--you'll find all the information you're looking for, and more. Vaping is all about tobacco harm reduction, not elimination. So, the more you know, the more you read, the better of you'll be.

CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association

You may also find those studies intersting:

The Ultimate List of E-Cig Studies: Are E-Cigs Actually Safe? *Updated 2/16/14 - onVaping

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Wow! Well after I read a report on what R.J.Renaolds puts in their tobacco products I can just say I'm at a comeplete loss at why the hell they would put this stuff out for public consumption. Just Google "addictive substances in Cigarettes", It's like the third thread down. It was documented by the Public Health Department.It got me thinking what is in E-cigs, or the liquid, and can we by identifiable means know exactly what's in our E-Liquid? Currently I'm using Halo Premium Liquid, and thought it was a safer way to go.I do know from a little bit of experience that E-cigs are waaaay safer, but how much safer?

SO... What did your research reveal? Did you find links at Casaa? Did the information you found reassure you?

thanks for sharing
Cheers
I

Irontoiron

May 12, 2015
''had a guy .. his friend'' .... knows someone who knows someone who heard from a buddy...

Thats how urban legends are spun. It's the same when articles go like ''well-informed sources who prefer not be named'' ( i.e. </bull...on> )... anything after that could be anything from the pure truth to utter rubbish.... :)

Circus artists and stuntpersons make a living off doing stuff that's inherently unsafe, else it wouldn't be interesting to watch ...
Don't go as far to think I'm a troll or something, but this guy had no reason to lie, I'm an acquaintance I really don't or wouldn't think someone could die, unless there's really faulty engineering.I did have a real hard time believing him that it was cause of E-Cigs.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I don't know. I have never tried them. Being best on the market, does that mean best flavor or best production facility?

Going to the home page of an eliquid maker/vendor I look for pictures/statements and search their name here. It can be all lies, but...well, I feel better.

I was trying flavors at a B&M a month or so ago and they had a brand that they were selling that I never heard of. I looked up the name on the internet later and found nothing...zero...zilch. I hadn't bought any and I doubt I will. The industry would do very well to "sell" itself. With legislation looming, the industry needs it.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Okay thanks for your input I just had a guy in one of my circles say his friend died as a result of and E-Cigs. I really don't know the circumstances, But I think this is a worthy topic of discussion.

There have been no known deaths attributed to vaping. There have been accidents--venting batteries and such... But none lethal. There was one toddler in Israel who died, apparently, after drinking a bottle of ejuice left open by a grandparent, but even that story is sketchy--there was no autopsy performed, AFAIK.

Unless this incident is well documented, name, place, autopsy--it's not a topic for discussion; its just gossip.

Halo makes great juices--clean and clear; some people love them, other not so much. But they are a great juice maker. What's in ejuice? PG/VG, nicotine, some flavorings. If you want to know more, contact the vendor and ask them. Halo has a subforum here--they will be happy to answer any questions.

Reactions: EleanorR

Irontoiron

May 12, 2015

I just don't want to find out in a couple years that my atomizer or tank was emitting metals or some .... that I was inhaling.

Irontoiron

May 12, 2015
There have been no known deaths attributed to vaping. There have been accidents--venting batteries and such... But none lethal. There was one toddler in Israel who died, apparently, after drinking a bottle of ejuice left open by a grandparent, but even that story is sketchy--there was no autopsy performed, AFAIK.

Unless this incident is well documented, name, place, autopsy--it's not a topic for discussion; its just gossip.

Halo makes great juices--clean and clear; some people love them, other not so much. But they are a great juice maker. What's in ejuice? PG/VG, nicotine, some flavorings. If you want to know more, contact the vendor and ask them. Halo has a subforum here--they will be happy to answer any questions.
Yeah I meant safety of product and quality was a good topic of discussion not cause someone who someone know's died.

Reactions: Katya

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Don't go as far to think I'm a troll or something, but this guy had no reason to lie, I'm an acquaintance I really don't or wouldn't think someone could die, unless there's really faulty engineering.I did have a real hard time believing him that it was cause of E-Cigs.

Wouldnt accuse you of trolling. Quite the contrary. If there's anything to it, then i'd be glad if you dig up anything traceable on it.

It's odd, vaping community concerns itself with a single - 'possible' - fatality while hundreds of people are succumbing to smoking related illnesses this very minute...

But we're fighting an uphill battle against very well financed and deeply entrenched interests who will milk one case for all its worth.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Yeah I meant safety of product and quality was a good topic of discussion not cause someone who someone know's died.

OK. I misunderstood. We do a lot of discussing here. :)

I just don't want to find out in a couple years that my atomizer or tank was emitting metals or some **** that I was inhaling.

There are no guaranties. Like I said, it's all about harm reduction. But he have plenty of good studies. If you use stock coils, you have very little to worry about:

Metals emitted from e-cigarettes are NOT a reason for health concern

And this:

Here's all the data from the USC study, including Compounds, Outdoor air, e-Cigarette, and normal cigarette. http://www.rsc.org/suppdata/em/c4/c4em00415a/c4em00415a1.pdf

For your convenience, listed below are the amounts of Cr, Ni, Pb, Zn and Al in outdoor air vs e-cigarette vapor:

Cr: 5.53 vs 4.22
Ni: 5.57 vs 6.14 (+/-2.9)
Pb: 13.28 vs 9.85
Zn: 54.31 vs 56.08 (+/- 21 [sic])
Al: 333.27 (±62.93) vs 161.43 (±71.35)

If you're making and dry burning your coils til they glow cherry red for prolonged time, there is a bit of controversy about that: ;)

The end of microcoils? | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

bones1274

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
florida
Trying to wrap your head around whether or not the stuff in your juice is going to harm/kill you is like trying to wrap your head around whether or not the ingredients in every package on every shelf of the grocery store could harm/kill you. I am pretty sure what's in my tap water or a Twinkie is going to harm/kill me long before my ecig does.

There is only ONE absolute in life: I am going to live forever, or die trying. Everything else in the world, including the air and water can or could kill me.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Wow! Well after I read a report on what R.J.Renaolds puts in their tobacco products I can just say I'm at a comeplete loss at why the hell they would put this stuff out for public consumption. Just Google "addictive substances in Cigarettes", It's like the third thread down. It was documented by the Public Health Department.It got me thinking what is in E-cigs, or the liquid, and can we by identifiable means know exactly what's in our E-Liquid? Currently I'm using Halo Premium Liquid, and thought it was a safer way to go.I do know from a little bit of experience that E-cigs are waaaay safer, but how much safer?

How much safer? No one can say with absolute certainty. Virtually all people using ecigs today have been vaping for less than 5 years. And during those 5 years the liquid being vaped and the methods of vaping have changed greatly. We have NO studies about the long term effects of vaping. If you smoke you will not likely get cancer from it in 5 years or less.
With that said I am personally convinced that vaping is far less harmful than smoking. I do hope that the studies in the future bear out my belief because that is all it is at this point, a belief.
I do know for certain that I feel better now than when I smoked.
Vaping does appear to work far better for smoking cessation than the patches and other alternative methods of quitting smoking and staying quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread