Can you sub TFA Banana for TFA Banana Ripe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

we87

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
DFW, TX
So I finally place my big order I've had in my cart for over a week making sure I have everything I need- then someone sends me this recipe I've got to try- with a flavor I don't have. Don't you just love that? Lol

Anyway it requires 6% of TFA Banana

I am assuming that is different from TFA Banana Ripe and Banana Cream, yes?

If so, can I sub out maybe BR 2% and BC 4% to get the banana 6%? I need?

Or maybe just do Banana Ripe alone at 2%?

Or maybe something else. Looking for opinions and y'all's help :) thanks alot in advance!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
That Ripe Banana is a little too ripe, if you ask me. You're looking for this, I believe.
I believe the OP acknowledged that in their original post. I think they were hoping more for potential substitutions. ;)
then someone sends me this recipe I've got to try- with a flavor I don't have. Don't you just love that? Lol
Welcome to the life of DIY. I have over 220 flavors now (roughly 16 months of recipe collecting) and I still can barely go a day without finding another one I "have" to have! :shock:
Anyway it requires 6% of TFA Banana
I am assuming that is different from TFA Banana Ripe and Banana Cream, yes?
If so, can I sub out maybe BR 2% and BC 4% to get the banana 6%? I need?
Or maybe just do Banana Ripe alone at 2%?
Or maybe something else. Looking for opinions and y'all's help :) thanks alot in advance!
Yes; Banana - TFA, Ripe Banana - TFA, and Banana Cream - TFA, are all different.
The way they taste to me :

Ripe Banana - This is the truest banana "fruit" flavor to me. Meaning this tastes the closest to picking up a deep yellow banana, peeling back the peel, and taking a bite. It can go laughy-taffy (candy-like) on you if you use too much. More "ripe" than "green." I personally do not understand all the "it's really strong" cautions you may frequently read; but that could be my taste buds too. I DO believe all the cautions about this being a plastic cracker. It has eaten more syringes than any other flavor for me.

Banana - This is the "noncommittal" banana. Good for a mixer where you want banana notes in the background but that is where you want to keep it; in the background. For me this is the "let's be friends" banana option. It is never going to crawl in to bed with you but it is never going to tell you to "F" off either.

Banana Cream - Think store-bought banana cream pie without the crust. The kind where the artificial whipping cream mutes the banana flavoring. Now dial those thoughts back to the strength you are now remembering them (pretty weak). This is Banana Cream.
This is a nice flavor when you want a hint of banana (or cream for that matter). Nice when you want just a hint, or for filling/rounding out other bananas.

A 4th TFA banana that hasn't been mentioned is Bananas Foster. This is one I haven't tried yet so I can't give you my perception of it. It is supposed to be a more complex "banana" with added notes of ice cream/custard, caramelized sugar/brown sugar, and cinnamon. "Banana" strength somewhere between Banana and Banana Cream. It has also been getting more attention recently over on the TFA threads; enough to cause me to buy a sample size. I just haven't made the time to work with it yet.

So; what can you sub Banana - TFA with? Here are my non-answers:

It depends on the recipe and how the banana is supposed to fit in; a "tropical drink" recipe is going to be different from a "banana bread" or "PB&J Sandwich" recipe.

I personally would make up a 3-5mL single flavor tester of each of the flavors I was considering at 4 to 5%. Give them 24 hours to rest (with 1-2 hours cap off). Then do a side-by-side taste comparison. You are not looking for your "ideal" percentage here; but how one compares to the other for strength and taste. My guess is that none of them will be stellar for you; but you will be able to see how they differ and may compliment one another.

THEN: P e r h a p s, I might look at 3% Ripe Banana alone, or 2% Ripe Banana + 2% Banana cream. Again; it depends on how it works into the recipe. AND THIS IS ME.
Like @Sugar_and_Spice said; best to start off at lower percentages and add if needed.

I haven't tried any other manufacturer's bananas to date so I can't speak to other options outside TFA.

Keep us informed on how your search goes.
Cheers! :toast:

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Joel, if you don't think TFA Ripe Banana is super strong then you probably have to consider that perhaps your taste buds are a little bit muted. That stuff is seriously rank. Rank in a good way but still, rank.

To the OP, it will be hard to replicate but I think if you went 5%BC and 1%RB you would probably have something that works. If there are other creams in the recipe, you might want to tone them back, but then again, maybe not

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Banana Cream - Think store-bought banana cream pie without the crust. The kind where the artificial whipping cream mutes the banana flavoring. Now dial those thoughts back to the strength you are now remembering them (pretty weak). This is Banana Cream.
This is a nice flavor when you want a hint of banana (or cream for that matter). Nice when you want just a hint, or for filling/rounding out other bananas.

I got the same impression.

I just made my first bottle of TFA Banana Cream at 5%. Quite like it. It's really creamy, wished it had a little more banana taste. Also made a bottle of Cheesecake 5%. Then I dropped approx. equal amounts of each into a tank and shook it up a bit. That was REALLY creamy, with not much banana flavor left. But the cheesecake was quite good mixed with equal quantity of Phil Mango.

I'm thinking I might get some ripe banana and add a little of that to the BC to make it a little more banana-y. Have a feeling it's going to be a useful flavor once I figure out how to use it.

we87

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
DFW, TX
I believe the OP acknowledged that in their original post. I think they were hoping more for potential substitutions. ;)

Welcome to the life of DIY. I have over 220 flavors now (roughly 16 months of recipe collecting) and I still can barely go a day without finding another one I "have" to have! :shock:

Yes; Banana - TFA, Ripe Banana - TFA, and Banana Cream - TFA, are all different.
The way they taste to me :

Ripe Banana - This is the truest banana "fruit" flavor to me. Meaning this tastes the closest to picking up a deep yellow banana, peeling back the peel, and taking a bite. It can go laughy-taffy (candy-like) on you if you use too much. More "ripe" than "green." I personally do not understand all the "it's really strong" cautions you may frequently read; but that could be my taste buds too. I DO believe all the cautions about this being a plastic cracker. It has eaten more syringes than any other flavor for me.

Banana - This is the "noncommittal" banana. Good for a mixer where you want banana notes in the background but that is where you want to keep it; in the background. For me this is the "let's be friends" banana option. It is never going to crawl in to bed with you but it is never going to tell you to "F" off either.

A 4th TFA banana that hasn't been mentioned is Bananas Foster. This is one I haven't tried yet so I can't give you my perception of it. It is supposed to be a more complex "banana" with added notes of ice cream/custard, caramelized sugar/brown sugar, and cinnamon. "Banana" strength somewhere between Banana and Banana Cream. It has also been getting more attention recently over on the TFA threads; enough to cause me to buy a sample size. I just haven't made the time to work with it yet.

So; what can you sub Banana - TFA with? Here are my non-answers:

It depends on the recipe and how the banana is supposed to fit in; a "tropical drink" recipe is going to be different from a "banana bread" or "PB&J Sandwich" recipe.

I personally would make up a 3-5mL single flavor tester of each of the flavors I was considering at 4 to 5%. Give them 24 hours to rest (with 1-2 hours cap off). Then do a side-by-side taste comparison. You are not looking for your "ideal" percentage here; but how one compares to the other for strength and taste. My guess is that none of them will be stellar for you; but you will be able to see how they differ and may compliment one another.

THEN: P e r h a p s, I might look at 3% Ripe Banana alone, or 2% Ripe Banana + 2% Banana cream. Again; it depends on how it works into the recipe. AND THIS IS ME.
Like @Sugar_and_Spice said; best to start off at lower percentages and add if needed.

I haven't tried any other manufacturer's bananas to date so I can't speak to other options outside TFA.

Keep us informed on how your search goes.
Cheers! :toast:

Lol whoa what a reply!

Thank you for the real true to life information. I really appreciate it [emoji51]

I agree with what you said, and being as taste is subjective and all that good stuff I understand it's hard to ask questions like this. But it seems you understand I'm just looking more or less for advice. Again I appreciate everyone's comments here.

I am pretty sure it's frowned upon to post recipes here that don't belong to me (correct me if I am wrong?) but yes the recipe in question has other creams. Bavarian Cream to be exact.

I am jotting down all these new recipes in excitement waiting on my flavor order to get here, and just going slightly crazy.

I will post back when I actually sit down and mix this recipe.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I am pretty sure it's frowned upon to post recipes here that don't belong to me (correct me if I am wrong?)
I can only speak form myself but I haven't seen an "official" policy stated about re-posting recipes. I have always tried to treat it with common sense and courtesy. Common sense says if they are posting it on a public forum they are making it public (when's the last time you saw a commercial juice mfg. post a recipe and say "don't make this.").

If someone has shared anything with me privately I will always ask before re-posting anywhere.

It is not often, but I have seen a few posters place stipulations on sharing their recipes, and I always abide in those. They have been anything from "do not share" to "do not share outside this forum."

If I am going to share someone else's recipe; I will always state that it is not mine, try to include the original poster's name if I have it, search for it if I don't, and if at all possible a link to the original post. The last can be a little difficult sometimes due to the fact that ECF has a fairly large "blacklist" and I try to be respectful of that as well.

I have got myself in the habit, that when I add a new (to me) recipe to my recipe calculator, the first line of my notes is whose recipe it is and where I found it. So it looks something like this:
upload_2016-8-24_20-8-7.png

I am using @HotRod19579's recipe calculator and the notes section lets me actually include a live link directly back to where I found the recipe. I like this because I can refer back to it for the OP's additional notes as well as others who may have tried it and replied with their own thoughts. It also come in handy giving proper credit to the creators/OPs.

I don't know if this is "proper" but it is how I would like to be treated; so I try to extend the same courtesy.

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
And here I stand with 147 flavors and thinking I was going overboard. I am only on flavor # 102 that I have actually used in a recipe.
@we87 I would always substitute flavors because taste is subjective to everyone. You may even find an ADV with substitutes because you won't know until you try it. Start out with a small bottle to see if you will like it and TAKE LOTS OF NOTES!!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread