Canadian Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyGWurd

Nov 13, 2015
Calgary, Canada
I realize that these forums have a large population of US members, so I'm becoming quite familiar with American regulations and laws that are coming in to place, however, I'm having a hard time finding information about laws in Canada. Especially information that isn't outdated.

I know that the city where I live has passed a by-law that prohibits vaping anywhere that smoking is prohibited (inside public buildings including bars and restaurants, excluding cigar and hookah bars (no vape clubs/bars exist here yet, but might be a good business idea)) and must be done at least 15 feet away from any doors or open windows. It also prohibits vaping inside vehicles with children in them. The only places that are exempt from this law are vape shops, as the owners felt it would be bad for business if the customers weren't able to sample their products and the local government agreed (win?).

Can anyone else shed some light for me on things that they know? As strong of an advocate I am for vaping, I am concerned about breaking laws.

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal

Bubsmash

Nov 22, 2015
From what I hear it might be closer to another year before things are written in stone. What I normally do is follow along with exactly with what the smokers have to do. Cananda always seems to be a good few years behind on with what state laws go with. When I am at my local Hockey games though and I am standing outside vaping on a nice flavor while all the yucky smokers are standing around with there stench going OHHH that smells SO good it really makes me feel good. I also love how I do not stink afterwards. I was a smoker myself but now just the smell of cigs makes me want to barf.

BobbyGWurd

Nov 13, 2015
Calgary, Canada
From what I hear it might be closer to another year before things are written in stone. What I normally do is follow along with exactly with what the smokers have to do. Cananda always seems to be a good few years behind on with what state laws go with. When I am at my local Hockey games though and I am standing outside vaping on a nice flavor while all the yucky smokers are standing around with there stench going OHHH that smells SO good it really makes me feel good. I also love how I do not stink afterwards. I was a smoker myself but now just the smell of cigs makes me want to barf.

I know what you mean! I also follow the laws of the smokers. And I also know what you mean about the smell of cigarettes. I can't understand why I enjoyed them so much.

Bubsmash

Nov 22, 2015
I honestly think that it is not going to be any different than a smoker so I think regardless of where it is other than our own homes that we will always have to step outside. Why I think that this is going to happen is in due to some people having nicotene in there vape fluid. Like really how does one proove that it is 0mg. I only know that in BC you have to be at least 15 feet away from any door or entrance when smoking. I can also assure you I have had the chance of vaping right in front of a few officers now and they never said anything to me while I was at the local WHL game.

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
I honestly think that it is not going to be any different than a smoker so I think regardless of where it is other than our own homes that we will always have to step outside. Why I think that this is going to happen is in due to some people having nicotene in there vape fluid.

What's wrong with nicotine? You do know it's found in some vegetables as a naturally occuring chemical?

Bubsmash

Nov 22, 2015
Mainly in due to the fact that we are talking about governmental legislative laws here. There is also allot of things that the general populas does not know about allot of things out there that we either eat or paste onto our bodies for some reason or another. It will only get worse for a while before things start getting better for all of us that have thoroughly researched things.

Reactions: Chuck64

DangVape

Verified Member
Jul 9, 2015
Montreal, QC, Canada
Well the law just pass in Quebec last week. The most significant change is that now vape is banned from public building including B&M store. So going to your local store to try out new flavor? Sorry you cannot try it in store it's illegal to vape in there. It's going to hit local store hard. If you can no longer try liquid in there why go there at all. Cheaper online. And new customer trying to switch cannot try anything before they buy, no samples, It's illegal to vape in the store. :nah::(

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Oh I new that was going to happen and I guess if that happens here then it still wont much matter to me and I will still be going to my local B&M store because I hate ordering stuff online.
Why do you assume that your local B&M will survive this absurd prohibition?

My local b&m found a way around bill-45 already. Re-name shop to a "theatre / stage company", customers who enter must put on a sticker or badge stating "I am auditioning". Boom. Try all of the 0mg juice you want, its legal. Your "audition" gives them exemption from the law. There is not a single bylaw being broken, nor any provincial or federal restriction. The only caveat is a change in product placement and advertising. They cannot tell you which juices to try / what you might like. Also easier to do this loophole if you use EVOD or similar throw away cheap tanks on egos, you will not be permitted to drip onto your own RDA anymore.

I don't have much source to back this up, but the production companies in Ontario have been fighting for their exemption for a while.

Theatre Ontario | Speak Out | bill 45 e-smoking and the Performing Arts

BobbyGWurd

Nov 13, 2015
Calgary, Canada
My local b&m found a way around bill-45 already. Re-name shop to a "theatre / stage company", customers who enter must put on a sticker or badge stating "I am auditioning". Boom. Try all of the 0mg juice you want, its legal. Your "audition" gives them exemption from the law. There is not a single bylaw being broken, nor any provincial or federal restriction. The only caveat is a change in product placement and advertising. They cannot tell you which juices to try / what you might like. Also easier to do this loophole if you use EVOD or similar throw away cheap tanks on egos, you will not be permitted to drip onto your own RDA anymore.

I don't have much source to back this up, but the production companies in Ontario have been fighting for their exemption for a while.

Theatre Ontario | Speak Out | bill 45 e-smoking and the Performing Arts

That is crazy!!! Here in Alberta, the B&M shops are allowed to let their customers sample flavors as the local government figured it would be bad for business if they couldn't. The only condition is they have to strictly enforce having no minors in their store and most ask for ID as soon as you walk in the door which is fine by me. I'm guessing, however, Bill 45 is a national bill? Hopefully it doesn't affect us.

Bubsmash

Nov 22, 2015
The local B&M store I go to all the time has all there windows curtained off have the no minors sign up at the front door and if you do not look of age there asking people. In due to this we are still able to try out flavors but myself I don't because of germs that could still be in the device itself I just smell the bottles to get a good indication of flavor. They do have the tips that go on for people to use I just do not like it or do it.

Reactions: LaraC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread