Candy and Fruit Flavors Banned by FDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Note how this article provides absolutely NO evidence that children are more likely to start smoking using flavored cigarettes. The closest thing they have to data is a survey stating that children are more likely to notice advertisements for them, and noticing the existence of flavored cigarettes does not automatically make one more likely to smoke.

Its unreal how far the government has come in smoking regulation, its been years since they based new legislation on fact rather than speculation.

Maybe the greater public will more clearly see the government's buffoonery now and take note. We'll have a lot more people on our side if they can all see for themselves how ridiculous this is, and there is strength in numbers.

dee5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
Northwest Arkansas
I can't even fathom the logic that allows one to think this will happen:
" Oh look! Chocolate flavored cigarettes! Well, I LOVE chocolate, I think I'll take up smoking just so I can have that!"
Can we logically think then the next words would be:
"How much for a pack??!! $5.00??? How much for the Hershey bar? Ummmm, I think I'll just take the Hershey bar, thanks!"

I mean, come on, really? The bottom line for any 18 year old is money. They don't have much typically and the price alone is enough to stop most from taking up this habit. Whether or not flavors are involved isn't going to be the tipping point.

earthdawn

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2009
TheVaporCafe.com
Yet its perfect;y OK for the to be every flavor and blend of flavor in the world of alcoholic beverages made.

Pinapple Voda, Mellon liquor etc... yea ok likr thats not hitting a market for kids to drink !!!!
they know most kids wont like old school whiskey or gin right off the bat so lets sweeten it up so they get into it... SAME logic yet its legal and what happens when kids drink... they drive....

it's amazing what the power of the tax dollars is when put on the governments table !!!

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
This "selling to children" crap is getting old. In case the FDA can't figure out WHY teens start smoking is NOT because of the "flavors", but because it's the "cool thing to do". Was like that when I was a teen starting smoking, and it will be like that 100 years from now.

Trivia - The most popular brand of cigarettes being smoked by teens in the US is, you guessed it, MARLBORO, the very brand the FDA is protecting by this "bill".

Sources:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1A1-D96A9OM00.html
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory?id=6866489

The FDA really needs to get its head out of it's .... :(

Last edited:

Nokosa

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2009
Maryland - United States
www.youtube.com
This "selling to children" crap is getting old. In case the FDA can't figure out WHY teens start smoking is NOT because of the "flavors", but because it's the "cool thing to do". Was like that when I was a teen starting smoking, and it will be like that 100 years from now.

Trivia - The most popular brand of cigarettes being smoked by teens in the US is, you guessed it, MARLBORO, the very brand the FDA is protecting by this "bill".

Sources:

Marlboro top choice of regular teen smokers - AP Online | Encyclopedia.com
Marlboro Top Choice of Regular Teen Smokers - ABC News

The FDA really needs to get its head out of it's .... :(

Hey Jim. I've seen most of your vids so I can picture that same anger and emotion you have when directing the FDA, and I agree wholeheartedly. Some marketing practice are a bit ignorant, but when the marketing has nothing whatsoever to do with teenagers it makes for a rather redundant practice.

As has been said before - if the FDA was really concerned with flavorings being a primary target for teenage smoking, why the hell can you get alcohol in pretty much any flavor you can think of? Isn't several hundred flavors of alcohol worse than a few handfuls of flavors for cigarettes?

Seems to me like, if that's the case, alcohol should have been banned a long time ago.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I don't know about tasty puff (they clearly have a malevolent intent to flavor tobacco!), but i know that other flavorings like loranns are used for plenty of reasons other than tobacco, so they should be safe. They're not gonna go and yank every flavoring from the shelf, that'll peeve off a lot more people than just us!

VelvetVisions

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Waukesha, WI
So are they going to force Big Tabacco to stop making Menthol flavored cigarettes now ???

or are they leaving the Big Boys a loophole ;)

Earth, there was discussion on here some time back when this bill was first signed and Menthol cigarettes are not currently slotted to be included in this ban of flavorings. They were still investigating the effects of Menthol, yeah right. It comes down to how many smoke them. When all is said and done, the percentages are pretty small when it comes to other flavorings like clove and such. Menthol is a big part of the sales, especially for African Americans. In fact, a majority of the articles on this relayed that very fact, discrimanation to keep African Americans smoking.

Some loophole....

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Hey Jim. I've seen most of your vids so I can picture that same anger and emotion you have when directing the FDA, and I agree wholeheartedly. Some marketing practice are a bit ignorant, but when the marketing has nothing whatsoever to do with teenagers it makes for a rather redundant practice.

As has been said before - if the FDA was really concerned with flavorings being a primary target for teenage smoking, why the hell can you get alcohol in pretty much any flavor you can think of? Isn't several hundred flavors of alcohol worse than a few handfuls of flavors for cigarettes?

Seems to me like, if that's the case, alcohol should have been banned a long time ago.

They tried to ban alcohol in the past and it was a total disaster. Remember the Prohibition Era? It is said that those who who don't study history are doomed to repeat its mistakes. It is becoming evident that today's government failed their history courses. Welcome to Prohibition Era II.

Acuity

Moved On
    Sep 12, 2009
    The Void
    Great by saving the kids now they have trample adults rights to choose any flavor they like. Didn't realize strawberry and fruit flavor was an exclusive thing for kids? This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. They have a name for this tactic and it is called usurpation. Usurpation is just another step towards tyranny.
    A revolution is very over due in this nation; even the founding fathers recommended that the country to have a revolution every 20 years to keep the government in check. Clearly this has not happened, and now the government is way out control and clearly owned by big corporations and is no longer for the people. The government just plays word games and feeds off on the people’s ignorance to control them with fear while making them and big corporation bigger and richer. Our Government and big corporation have become parasite of the people. Sucking away there life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...

Nestran

ECF Veteran
    Jul 29, 2009
    Rhode Island
    When I first read the news I thought this would be a blow to the ecig community; if they are banning flavors then we can no longer say that our flavors are no different than the flavored tobacco. Then I thought about it.

1. They are not banning flavored cigars, cigarillos, etc... only cigarettes. That in its self is rediculous. I guess kids smoking cigars are OK.

2. One of the biggest anti ecig platforms has been that our flavored juice will entice kids to try these and then start smoking. Well I guess that's out the window, there are no flavored cigarettes so we are no longer a gateway. Unless they go from ecigs to cigars, but based on #1 that seems to be OK.

Nestran

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Like that's going to happen!

It's always "for the children" isn't it? I think we need a whole lot less people in Washington. Maybe then they'd stop spending so much money and trying to micro-manage our lives.

Yesterday's evening news from Philadelphia carried the news about the removal of flavored cigarettes from the market. They stated that the FDA found these were popular with the kids "25 and under".

Now we have expanded kids eight years out from the legal age that one is an adult. Heck, I'm my 91 year old mother's kid. I must be, I like the flavors....

and on an aside, this server must be getting hit pretty hard, a lot of "server busy" messages lately.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread