Canker (mouth) sores and Vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob4092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
USA
I have been a cigarette smoker for the past eight years. I recently quit through vaping. However, I have recently had several canker sores appear in my mouth and along my tongue since vaping. Has anyone else experienced this???

I am not allergic to anything as far as I know. Are canker sores a side effact of vaping??? These sores are killing me!

Gautama

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Normal, IL
I have been a cigarette smoker for the past eight years. I recently quit through vaping. However, I have recently had several canker sores appear in my mouth and along my tongue since vaping. Has anyone else experienced this???

I am not allergic to anything as far as I know. Are canker sores a side effact of vaping??? These sores are killing me!

Actually, canker sores (along with acne and a myriad of other "lovely" inconveniences) can also be attributed to the changes your body is going through after quitting smoking.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hen-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

Look this over. It's very informative.

Last edited:

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Been there my friend! I stopped getting them but I did start taking a vitamin supplement that was recommended by my pharmacist called Lysine. She also told me to make a paste out of them & put it on the canker sores. Can't really do it during the day but I'd put the paste on at bedtime. Hope this helps!

Rob4092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
USA

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
I have heard about the Lysine supplement. How much do you take per day?

Did you relate the sores to vaping or your withdrawals from smoking cigarettes?

I did relate them because I'd never had them before. I had one & thought nothing of it & soon after that one was gone up pops another & another all at the same time. I went back to the list of side effects & put 2 & 2 together. I take 2 500mg tablets a day for the most part but at least 1. Sometimes I get a little forgetful:facepalm: But I haven't had any canker sores since the last round.

underd0g

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2013
MN
thought I'd chime in here, I had an entire mouth full of them for 2 weeks! It was the most awful thing I think I've ever gone through. I attribute them to the withdrawals because there have been several hours of not vaping as well, and they didn't go away or feel better. I also had raw patches all over my tongue, and I though at first I burned my mouth on something, but I'd remember doing that right? IDK maybe not, seems my memory gets more distant the older my kids get, er uh is it the older I get? Anywho, I'm on my last canker sore now, it was fricken HUGE just inside my bottom lip. Looked like someone punched me in the lip it was that bad. It even got in the way a few times while eating and crunched down on it, holy damn did it hurt! Finally stopped bleeding after 20 mins and today it's finally going away. As God is my witness I pray to never return to smoking ever again.
Oh, I do take a daily multiple vitamin but with NO IRON, it makes me nauseous. Peace :)

Last edited:

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
Boy, that's pretty graphic.....

thought I'd chime in here, I had an entire mouth full of them for 2 weeks! It was the most awful thing I think I've ever gone through. I attribute them to the withdrawals because there have been several hours of not vaping as well, and they didn't go away or feel better. I also had raw patches all over my tongue, and I though at first I burned my mouth on something, but I'd remember doing that right? IDK maybe not, seems my memory gets more distant the older my kids get, er uh is it the older I get? Anywho, I'm on my last canker sore now, it was fricken HUGE just inside my bottom lip. Looked like someone punched me in the lip it was that bad. It even got in the way a few times while eating and crunched down on it, holy damn did it hurt! Finally stopped bleeding after 20 mins and today it's finally going away. As God is my witness I pray to never return to smoking ever again.
Oh, I do take a daily multiple vitamin but with NO IRON, it makes me nauseous. Peace :)

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Another thing that seemed to help me with canker sores is dringing cranberry juice. Cranberrys have a slight antibiotic sort of effect (hence why cranberry juice is recommended for bladder infections). I found that helped keep the canker sores from getting infected better than the salt for me.

Quit Zits I just got 4 months in :p

It hits us all at different times.

josie wales

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2013
wisconsin
If it's from quitting analogs, either we don't get nearly as much nicotine as we think we do with vaping, or there are other things in analogs we are withdrawing from. Or it's a side effect of vaping. I didn't get cankers yet but I have gone thru other system changes so something is obviously different.

kumimuumi

Verified Member
Mar 22, 2012
Tampere, Finland
I've been vaping over a year now and only lately been having those. To my surprise they seem to be connected into silica somehow. At least when using cotton wicks or cartos, no sores whatsoever but with silica wicks they appear around the 3 or 4 day mark and get worse by using silica wicks. Switching to carts or cotton wicks and the promoting effect goes away. There's something fishy in silica, imho.

LibertariaNate

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
Utah
I battled with canker sores for nearly my entire life. The "usual" OTC treatments (lysine, tea tree, salt water, etc.) did nothing for me. Then I started smoking and they just went away. Seriously... While I smoked, I didn't get a single one. It wasn't three days after I switched to vaping that they returned. What did I eventually find that worked for me? Listerine... and only the old-school golden colored stuff. The fru fru tasting flavors don't work. When I use it daily, no canker sores. If I run out it and miss a couple of days, they return. I've found that adding a bit of hydrogen peroxide to the Listerine helps to heal the sores faster.

Hope that helps...

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
I got canker sores over quitting analogs, lasted off and on for about 3 months after I quit. I rinsed 3 times a day with Listerine and, put Kanka brand analgesic on them in the day - it forms a protective barrier so, it helps keep vaping, eating, drinking, whatever form irritating them so badly and, it numbs so, they aren't too painful. At night I put Lysine paste on them to help them heal faster.

MJTP

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2012
TN
Just to say, I went cold turkey off analogs WITHOUT vaping for a total of 30 days. Not one thing with my health changed other than coughing less. I vaped a Blu (where the cartos tasted like burnt metal) other day and suddenly my cough is coming back (not as severely.) It may be a blessing that the charger pack broke 6 days later.

About a year ago, after vaping some burnt tasting cartos from Revolver, I had a severely damaged, sore throat for a week, severe pain. Another time, a off-brand disposable from a store gave me canker sores galore.

Honestly, my suspicion is that it could either be the wicks, what happens to the wicks if they burn, or chemicals in the e-juice... what else could it be? Burnt (possibly even non-burnt)!silica wicks have been shown to release spikey silica particles in the vapor; these could possibly break the skin in the mouth, causing sores, and cause irritation in the throat. With e-juice, if it's from overseas, no telling what's in it.

I'm sticking to tanks that I can see into and juices made by companies that present a more professional vibe than having some juice that's called "Orangalicious Outstanding Orange 7UP Badazzle Dream God Bless America", with graphics that look like a discount tobacco shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread