Can't use a ecig because it hurts throat too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnimmel

May 31, 2012
New England
I've been vaping for a few months now and love it, however, my wife has tried many times and it instantly hurts her throat and causes a lot of pain. She just tried quiting anologes cold turky which didn't end too well, so I'm hoping someone here can help her with the throat pain so she can make the switch to vaping.

From what I've read, some people have issues with PG juice, which is what she's tried, so I was wondering if getting VG only would be a good place to start? If so, what is the best device to use? By this I mean cartos seem to clog up with VG only juice because it's thicker, and all I have are tank cartos for a Ego.

I've been looking online and can't find many places that sell VG only liquid, can anyone recomend a good place to order from?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated, although we've already tried lowing the nicotine strength which made no difference at all, as well as a few different flavors.

Thanks,

Richard

jjcordone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Rhode Island
Hi Richard: I had the same issue and it did help switching to 100% VG. I also had to lower the NIC to a much lower amount than I thought I'd need. I use cartomizers and haven't had any problems. I do notice they take longer to fill than PG does, because of the thickness. There's a bunch of places to get VG juices and I'm sure other folks will reply. Do a search here on the ECF on the term 100% VG and you'll see tons of posts. I'll add links below to a couple that I like.
One last thing. This sounds strange, but ask you wife to try it. If she's still smoking along with vaping....
For me anyway, vaping and smoking don't get along very well. For example if I've been smoking all day, then try vaping in the evening, it will hurt my throat and make me cough. If I start vaping early in the day, no problems. It's like the cigarettes dry out my throat to the point where vaping then puts it over the top. I haven't been able to get off cigarettes completely and still some days I'm vaping every other smoke time. As long as I don't let the cigarette usage exceed the vaping usage, I don't have throat problems. Once you have her on the VG juice, ask her to try vaping at least in place of every other cigarette beginning first thing in the morning and see if that helps. Good luck!

Heathers Heavenly Vapes, Top Quality Custom E-Liquids
BlueMist Vaping Supplies

Vapture

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
eastern canada
VG is claimed to be easier on that ... I use vg ... it is easier.

HOWEVER ****

It isn't necessary to inhale vapor from ecigs ... I don't.

Nicotine in vaping is absorbed via contact not inhalation.

You can inhale into mouth and out thru nose without inhaling into lungs or even getting much vapor in throat.

I don't inhale ... works fine .. plus I don't need my lungs coated with nicotine or PG/VG either ... or flavorings which were probably meant for ingestion. Others do inhale ... so for them it's fine.

Nic level adds to throat hit as well // so maybe lower nic levels would help.

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
The flavoring may also be a problem....not just because most are PG based but she may have an issue with other ingredients contained in them esp. natural ones. If you read throughout the forum there are several threads that talk about certain flavors that will crack a tank which leads me to believe they can't be that great for our lungs and throat either. I guess my point would be not only change to 100%VG but maybe try a few different flavors of 100% VG. Cinnamon seems to come to mind with the the cracked tanks.

If the VG is too hick for your cartomizers just add a few drops of distilled water to achieve the desired consistincy.

Last edited:

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
I had problems with PG heavy mixes. I moved early on to 50/50 mixes and that solved them all. Having said that, I was not smoking stinkies at all from the day I got my vaping gear. I generally inhale mouth then lungs, not straight in. If I do pull straight in, even after vaping as long as I have, I get a cough off and on with the hit.

I think with new vapers it's a trial and error thing until you find what suits your personal needs. The main thing is to not let yourself get discouraged or put off by these things. Continuing to smoke stinkies might kill you, and will certainly do damage to you if they don't outright kill you.

Bullette the Cowdog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2012
Treasure Coast, FL
I use mostly vg ejuice.
Johnson Creek Red Oak line is 100% vg made in USA.
They publish their laboratory audits & are registered with FDA. Not that this means anything except that I like the company's transparency.
I also like their juice. It comes in glass bottles not plastic. Each bottle comes with a childproof cap that is shrink wrapped. Each bottle also comes with a separate eye dropper cap + a small dropper bottle for on-the-go.
Check em out.
Vape on.

PS their vg is NOT thick.

Gnimmel

May 31, 2012
New England
Thanks a lot of all the replies. It looks like Johnsons Creek has been mentioned a few times, and after just looking at their site I think I'll place an order. I like their chart which lists thoats hit etc.

I've often wondered about the filler in cartomizers, especially as I keep burning them, so I like the idea of a clearomizer as well. Perhaps I'll pick one up so she can try it.

I remember reading somewhere before that you didn't need to inhale into your lungs, although I just tried that myself and after smoking for too long, it's really hard to not inhale. It's something else to try though.

Smoking not mixing with vaping is interesting, her brother had similar problems but he wasn't planning on quiting, just alternating to help cut back on anologes.

Thanks again for all the replies, this has been very helpful.

Jixchel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
Indiana
Thanks a lot of all the replies. It looks like Johnsons Creek has been mentioned a few times, and after just looking at their site I think I'll place an order. I like their chart which lists thoats hit etc.

I've often wondered about the filler in cartomizers, especially as I keep burning them, so I like the idea of a clearomizer as well. Perhaps I'll pick one up so she can try it.

I remember reading somewhere before that you didn't need to inhale into your lungs, although I just tried that myself and after smoking for too long, it's really hard to not inhale. It's something else to try though.

Smoking not mixing with vaping is interesting, her brother had similar problems but he wasn't planning on quiting, just alternating to help cut back on anologes.

Thanks again for all the replies, this has been very helpful.

There are many who have used vaping to cut back on analogs and then are shocked to find that they just didn't buy anymore smokes. Either way, congrats to him for choosing to cut back, even 1 less is a step in the right direction.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
hi Gnimmel,

Welcome to ECF, now while all the information you have been given is great, I am going to ask is she drinking enough water, as vaping WILL dry out your throat adding to any problems there, also I know I for one dealt with issues of my throat being sore for a few days, and coughed a lot more when I would pick up my pv if I had recently had a cig, which of course did nothing to help my throat

Proper inhalation technique This might also help

Last edited:
I also us 100% VG juice made by Johnson Creek. I order mine from Nashville Vapor. You can find them on the internet. Great service and very helpful with questions. I agree with everyone else about flavors and nicotine levels. Maybe you could call the number on Nashville Vapors site on the internet and they could answer some of your questions (David is the name of the person who is the expert). I believe with all the advice and suggestions you will find answers. Good luck!

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
This may sound crazy, but for some reason when I got my first PV I kept directly inhaling (as opposed to taking the vapor into my mouth, then inhaling), and it was harsh. I don't know why I did that, but it took me a little while to realize that I didn't do the direct inhaling with cigs (was still smoking at the time). Most likely your wife is just using the PV the same way she smokes, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread