Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I'm looking for recipes using CAP cantaloupe, but haven't found very many.
I'll try almost any mixture with it!
Try looking for a recipe with 'melons' in it and maybe sub the cantaloupe?

I do have tfa cantaloupe but have never mixed it. Years ago, I was given a freebe from a ejuice vendor I liked a lot. It was a stand alone flavor ejuice, and it was really good. Can't mention them here cause they were banned quite some time ago.

I did vape the whole bottle because in rl, altho I love cantaloupe, it doesn't love me(allergic reaction), and being able to vape the taste made me happy.

Have you tried a taste taste yet? I wonder if this flavor is included in mixed flavors like FA's mixed fruit? hmmm

:)

Reactions: ChelsB

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
I bought CAP Cantaloupe strictly to mix DIYorDie's HoneyDewyMilk remix, but didn't care much for it. Haven't used it for anything else yet. I think it would pair well with CAP/TFA VBIC, but I tend to think everything pairs up with VBIC. I'm basically a VBIC addict.

FA's cantaloupe was the one of the first flavors I mixed with. An extremely simple one I liked early on and still vape to this day is

FA Cantaloupe 4%
FA Vienna Cream 4%

Could definitely go down as low as 2% on those and still be golden. I went way too high on flavors when I first started out. Similar creams would, I expect, work just as well.

Last edited:

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Here's the far-and-away best-rated ELR recipe using CAP Cantaloupe, by the legendary mixer [ENYAWREKLAW] of the DIYorDie website:

HoneyDEWWEY Milk Tea: A Boba REMIX by [ENYAWREKLAW]
3% Cantaloupe (CAP)
2% Cotton Candy (Circus) (TPA)
2% Cream Whipped (FA)
3% Honeydew (TPA)
Flavor total: 10%

P.S. FA Cream Whipped contains diacetyl, which is a matter of concern for many vapers (and causes FA to label it "not suitable for vaping"). The other ingredients are sweet enough that I think 2% FA Fresh Cream would work fine in its place. If you're picky about the "whipped" aspect, you could substitute 1.4% FA Fresh Cream + 0.6% FA Meringue, instead.

Last edited:

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I have only used TFA's cantaloupe but a simple one I like is:

8% Cantaloupe - TFA
2% Honey - TFA

For CAP's Cantaloupe you may want to start this around 4% and increase as/if needed.

Thanks! That's one thing I still don't understand. The variances of flair strength. This is only 10% but I've made much higher amounts in the recipes I've used. Why, since fruits seem to be like they'd be similar flavor profiles, are some so much more heavy on the flavors?

Reactions: IDJoel

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Why, since fruits seem to be like they'd be similar flavor profiles, are some so much more heavy on the flavors?
Some of it is vendor economics: It costs more to put more of the "important" stuff into the same sized bottle and I (the vendor) don't get to sell it that often. It is better for the consumer in that they don't have to buy as much or as often; but I (again the vendor) have to sell it for more/higher price to make the same profit while competing against lower priced products sold by my competitors (even though the value is really the better/same/similar) and then the customer "thinks" they are paying too much.

Another part of it is the individual compounds used to create the specific flavor concentrate. While all concentrate manufacturers make a "insert your flavor concentrate name here" they don't necessarily use the same chemicals/chemical compounds to arrive at the same/similar taste (a big part of why they don't all taste the same). These combinations can (and do) have maximum thresholds that they will still taste good a or stay in solution at (they won't start to separate). Just for example, TFA's Cantaloupe might be able to be concentrated more, but that might make it taste not as good (it could start picking up chemical tastes or smells or the flavor profile could start to go wonkie, or it's ok in the beginning but three months later it tastes like the inside of a shoe), so the vendor chooses to leave it at a lower concentration.

This is why we have so many flavor concentrate manufacturers and why everybody's flavors taste a
little/lot different and why the price can vary quite a bit.

NOW... stir into that mess an individual's own taste perception... and "Oh my Miss Molly!" all bets are off! Taking my previous recipe; you may find you like CAP Cantaloupe at 2, 3, 4, or even 12%. Nobody knows. Nobody CAN know... but you. And the only way you will know is by trial and error.

That is why I always encourage ANY mixer (brand new, novice, or a 100 years experience) to pay particular attention to others who share your same palate. If you like someone's recipe; that's a win. If you like two of their recipes; that's a bonus. If you like 4 of their recipes; that's a lunar eclipse. If you like more; you are standing on a gold mine... take note of who they are, actively search for other recipes of theirs, note how they are using, combining, developing their flavors. Because those mixers share your palate and are going to give you a leg up on your own DIY journey.

Take a big enough sampling and you can get some worthwhile "rules of thumb" but if you can find an experienced mixer that has a taste/flavor palate that is very close to your own you have found a resource that is more valuable than gold. Latch on to that. Don't ever let it go. That is why I always include the author/poster name in my personal notes (as well as when I share it here), and even a link when possible, of every recipe I copy... just in case I stumble across my palate doppelgänger. :D

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Sounds delicious, thank you SO much!
When I sourced for that recipe, I couldn't find FA Whipped Cream anywhere. I think it's discontinued. I apparently used CAP Vanilla Whipped Cream. I do not know why I chose that. TFA Whipped would probably be a better sub.

Edit: Quoted the wrong post. Meant to quote the one before yours.

Rin13

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
www.youtube.com
I bought CAP Cantaloupe strictly to mix DIYorDie's HoneyDewyMilk remix, but didn't care much for it. Haven't used it for anything else yet. I think it would pair well with CAP/TFA VBIC, but I tend to think everything pairs up with VBIC. I'm basically a VBIC addict.
Lol... I love the Honey Dew Milk. I did alter the recipe though. I haven't found much use for CAP cantaloupe outside of that recipe but I make so much of it, I really don't need any other recipes.

Rin13

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Why, since fruits seem to be like they'd be similar flavor profiles, are some so much more heavy on the flavors?
Different brands/flavors are just stronger than others. I'm guessing it depends on how the flavors are created and extracted... Also it depends on how much the manufacturer dilutes it for sale. The flavors are always suspended in some kind of base, VG, PG, alcohol, etc.
For example, with that particular recipe, TFA Honeydew (most find) very strong. I actually only use it at 2.5% (and plan to change it to even lower next time I mix it) and it overpowers most everything else in the recipe. Then you have CAP honeydew that'd I'd probably have to mix at 5% or higher to have the same effect of the TFA half the strength.
Unfortunately that's one of the tricky things about DIY. It's like womens clothing. A size 10 isn't going to be exactly the same from brand to brand. You have to find what "size" you are for each company.

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Last edited:

Rin13

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
www.youtube.com
...but I'd go for TFA Whipped Cream as you say, probably bumped to 3% in the HoneyDEWWEY Milk Tea recipe, which is mostly TFA anyway. Or use the FA Fresh Cream (and maybe Meringue) workaround if that's what you've got!

TFA Whipped Cream is what I use and it's lovely. I've never tried the FA Whipped cream because it's harder to get and technically has those naughty bits. (not that I much care about that BUT if I already have something that doesn't have them, I'd rather use it)

Akij987

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2012
MN
Here's the far-and-away best-rated ELR recipe using CAP Cantaloupe, by the legendary mixer [ENYAWREKLAW] of the DIYorDie website:

HoneyDEWWEY Milk Tea: A Boba REMIX by [ENYAWREKLAW]
3% Cantaloupe (CAP)
2% Cotton Candy (Circus) (TPA)
2% Cream Whipped (FA)
3% Honeydew (TPA)
Flavor total: 10%

P.S. FA Cream Whipped contains diacetyl, which is a matter of concern for many vapers (and causes FA to label it "not suitable for vaping"). The other ingredients are sweet enough that I think 2% FA Fresh Cream would work fine in its place. If you're picky about the "whipped" aspect, you could substitute 1.4% FA Fresh Cream + 0.6% FA Meringue, instead.

I just mixed up some of this with tfa whipped cream in it and it delicious.

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Thanks! That's one thing I still don't understand. The variances of flair strength. This is only 10% but I've made much higher amounts in the recipes I've used. Why, since fruits seem to be like they'd be similar flavor profiles, are some so much more heavy on the flavors?

There's another part to this question besides the differences in strength of concentrates....

Most people come to DIY e-liquid after vaping and loving a variety of commercial mixes, which frequently contain high levels of flavoring. The makers of these want to make an impression with a big flavor impact. Many of their first-time customers, having recently quit smoking, may have a degree of taste impairment. Though the future is unclear, up until recently the e-liquid industry was exploding. The imperative to develop loyal repeaters was much stronger than the need to save a few cents on bulk-ordered flavorings, which would have to be dumped if they didn't move briskly out the door. Those vapers bring a level of expectation to their foray into DIY, and usually that level is +20%!

I was quit for more than a year when I discovered I could vape unflavored e-liquid with no problem. That led me to discover that I could cut highly-flavored recipes in half and still enjoy them very much (running low on Juice XYZ so stretch it with unflavored). Taste buds recovered? Check!

Now I've been mixing for a year or so, and those heavy recipes weigh me down. If I go much over 10% in a mix I feel like I'm doing something wrong. And I favor the stronger flavor makers (namely Inawera and FlavourArt), because I can use even less and still make GREAT stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread