AFiMnxp.jpg

Have you tried it yet?

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
I've never heard of Joy being mixed with fruits, only bakery and tobaccos... That's very interesting. I shall have to try this. Thanks.

It's actually my first time using it, so I hope I didn't make a mistake (you'll notice I didn't use much). User notes on it seem to be all over the place: cotton candy, sweet vanilla, cinnamon, funnel cakes, meringue, caramel, just-plain-weird-I-don't-get-it-so-I-won't-use-it. I did find it in a couple well-regarded non-bakery fruit-n-cream recipes (lemony ones, even), so I thought what the heck.

@ChelsB, you might want to look at FA Joy, since you're on the cotton candy hunt. Apparently it makes a good standalone when mixed at 2-3%: cotton candy top with fried dough bottom (per HeadInClouds, who really knows his FA stuff).

Rin13

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
www.youtube.com
It's actually my first time using it, so I hope I didn't make a mistake (you'll notice I didn't use much). User notes on it seem to be all over the place: cotton candy, sweet vanilla, cinnamon, funnel cakes, meringue, caramel, just-plain-weird-I-don't-get-it-so-I-won't-use-it. I did find it in a couple well-regarded non-bakery fruit-n-cream recipes (lemony ones, even), so I thought what the heck.
I saw the "cotton candy" and funnel cake description too. I get neither. I get a doughy note that so far I haven't been too fond of. Many people say it's a borderline beer/hop flavor so that may be partially why. I hate beer.

Reactions: man00ver

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Hi @ChelsB, I hope your mix is still getting even better!

So, with my curiosity piqued, and the smell of my mix still coming along nicely, I loaded up a low-power clearomizer to taste a mL or so of it:
3% FA Lemon Sicily
1% FA Custard (li'l creamy-lemony boost)
0.25% INW Raspberry (le pink)
3% FA Vienna Cream (Bavaria/Austria exchange program)
1.5% FA Fresh Cream (makes Vienna Cream ice-creamy)
0.25% FA Joy (an EM variant, supposed to make fruits pop and add sweetness)
0.05% Koolada

Preliminary verdict: I may have hit this one pretty solidly on the first swing. The flavors are still a little quiet at this point, but the lemon is in front, the raspberry is a tiny tart support for it, and the cream base is gelling well. It seems to have just the right amount of sweetness (I don't need much). I might double the Koolada next time, though; it's there but barely noticeable. Next weekend I'll try it again with a serious flavor rig.

I kind of wish I had your mix to compare it with.

I get a doughy note that so far I haven't been too fond of. Many people say it's a borderline beer/hop flavor so that may be partially why.

Hey, you put this in my head, Rin! I'm rolling mouthfuls of it, and French-inhaling, looking for beer!! I'm arguing with myself whether I'm tasting ice-cream in formation, or something yeasty...nah. No doughy beer here, not at this percentage. Nevertheless I'll be using straight EM next batch, just to get my mind right. :)

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
You're quick! Depending on what you say, I may spin up my own version tonight too. I'm missing all the Capella ingredients in this one, but I have plenty of subs in the bullpen to work with. Offhandedly gaming it out:

3% FA Lemon Sicily
1% FA Custard (li'l creamy-lemony boost)
0.25% INW Raspberry (le pink)
3% FA Vienna Cream (Bavaria/Austria exchange program)
1.5% FA Fresh Cream (makes Vienna Cream ice-creamy)
0.25% FA Joy (an EM variant, supposed to make fruits pop and add sweetness)
0.05% Koolada

I think that might be a bit better than alright...it's an interesting thought exercise anyway.

I just received the flavors I need for this today. Those amounts seem pretty low (around 10%)Am I missing something, or is this just a low flavor recipe? I'm tempted to double them but don't want to ruin the recipe

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse any typos

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
I just received the flavors I need for this today. Those amounts seem pretty low (around 10%)Am I missing something, or is this just a low flavor recipe? I'm tempted to double them but don't want to ruin the recipe

Both FlavourArt and Inawera make strong flavoring. I would suggest using regular Ethyl Maltol insted of FA Joy, and bringing that up to 0.5% (since you like sweets), and maybe bump the Koolada to 0.1% or even 0.25%. I mixed mine at 6mg, so you'll be using twice the nic it seems, but even bearing that in mind I wouldn't recommend any other changes.

These stronger flavorings also develop over time, and since this is a new recipe, my first mix hasn't steeped enough yet for me to fairly evaluate what changes might be needed. I'll run the thorough judgment on it Sunday.

All that said...I'm happy you're going to try it. :)
And I might be feeling a little creator's anxiety. :ohmy:

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Both FlavourArt and Inawera make strong flavoring. I would suggest using regular Ethyl Maltol insted of FA Joy, and bringing that up to 0.5% (since you like sweets), and maybe bump the Koolada to 0.1% or even 0.25%. I mixed mine at 6mg, so you'll be using twice the nic it seems, but even bearing that in mind I wouldn't recommend any other changes.

These stronger flavorings also develop over time, and since this is a new recipe, my first mix hasn't steeped enough yet for me to fairly evaluate what changes might be needed. I'll run the thorough judgment on it Sunday.

All that said...I'm happy you're going to try it. :)
And I might be feeling a little creator's anxiety. :ohmy:

Don't worry I won't blame you if I don't like it. I will blame my picky taste buds. I just realized that I have cap raspberry not inw. Do you know if that changes things?

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Don't worry I won't blame you if I don't like it. I will blame my picky taste buds. I just realized that I have cap raspberry not inw. Do you know if that changes things?

YES that changes things. I'm not familiar with CAP Raspberry, but with some quick research I can safely say that the Inawera version is AT LEAST 4 times stronger. Try using 1% (and lawd I hope it doesn't end up overrunning the Lemon)....

Reactions: ChelsB

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
YES that changes things. I'm not familiar with CAP Raspberry, but with some quick research I can safely say that the Inawera version is AT LEAST 4 times stronger. Try using 1% (and lawd I hope it doesn't end up overrunning the Lemon)....

Well raspberry is one of my favorite flavors so it'll be OK if it does

Rin13

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Hey, you put this in my head, Rin! I'm rolling mouthfuls of it, and French-inhaling, looking for beer!! I'm arguing with myself whether I'm tasting ice-cream in formation, or something yeasty...nah. No doughy beer here, not at this percentage. Nevertheless I'll be using straight EM next batch, just to get my mind right. :)
Sorry to disappoint you... Lol. I can't stand the flavor, at least not in anything I have mixed or juices that I didn't even know had it in there until after I hated it...

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Sorry to disappoint you... Lol. I can't stand the flavor, at least not in anything I have mixed or juices that I didn't even know had it in there until after I hated it...

I even took a few sniffs of Joy in the bottle, where to me it smells like raw sweet-roll dough. Inoffensive enough, but I think I'll test-mix it singly at 2%, just to nail it down. I only bought a small-size bottle of it, but I'd still like to get some use out of it. I'm not much for tobacco flavors anymore, but there's plenty of bakery in my recipe list.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I even took a few sniffs of Joy in the bottle, where to me it smells like raw sweet-roll dough. Inoffensive enough, but I think I'll test-mix it singly at 2%, just to nail it down. I only bought a small-size bottle of it, but I'd still like to get some use out of it. I'm not much for tobacco flavors anymore, but there's plenty of bakery in my recipe list.

That's one flavor I don't have, joy. I was surprised to see that I have the top 10 or 15 flavors! (I don't remember exactly how many they listed)

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
That's one flavor I don't have, joy.

Joy is one of FA's line of weird description-defying additive flavors. They tell you to "Close your eyes, imagine the fairground." O...K. I guess it's supposed to invoke cotton candy and funnel cake.

But wait, it gets worse:
Eclipse - "Suddenly everything goes dark and your emotions begin an intriguing journey. Driven by the heat of the sun and pampered by the romance of the moon."
Aurora - "Sparkling and spirited as the the sunrise warming distant flowers and fruits, refreshing."
Oba-oba - "Unleash the child inside yourself...."

I guess you just have to track down reviewer notes to know what you're getting with these.

P.S. While I was looking these up, I found a set of newer flavors I didn't know about. They're called "Artist's Touch Flavors," and they look like one-shot mixes to me. I might just need to give those a whirl....

Online Store :: Flavors :: Artist's Touch Flavors

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
I just got Flavor West Pink Lemonade and mixed my first 30ml bottle. I put 8% Blueberry, 3% Pink Lemonade and 1% Sour. Very much vapable but will tweak it the next 30ml bottle. It will be one of my go to mixes forsure as I love Lemonade mixes. Make all my juices 30PG/70VG. May even try Juicy Peach instead of Blueberry. CHEERS!

Rin13

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Joy is one of FA's line of weird description-defying additive flavors. They tell you to "Close your eyes, imagine the fairground." O...K. I guess it's supposed to invoke cotton candy and funnel cake.

But wait, it gets worse:
Eclipse - "Suddenly everything goes dark and your emotions begin an intriguing journey. Driven by the heat of the sun and pampered by the romance of the moon."
Aurora - "Sparkling and spirited as the the sunrise warming distant flowers and fruits, refreshing."
Oba-oba - "Unleash the child inside yourself...."

I guess you just have to track down reviewer notes to know what you're getting with these.

P.S. While I was looking these up, I found a set of newer flavors I didn't know about. They're called "Artist's Touch Flavors," and they look like one-shot mixes to me. I might just need to give those a whirl....

Online Store :: Flavors :: Artist's Touch Flavors
Yes! FlavourArt is known for their unhelpful flavor description. Me and my DIY buddies joke about it all the time. It's ridiculous. I really wish they would actually tell you what it's supposed to be as I would be more inclined to buy them. I have to wait for other people to buy it and tell me what they THINK it is. Lol.
I read Joy was supposed to be cotton candy and funnel cakes... I didn't know it was supposed to be an additive/enhancer. I mixed it alone at 2-3% and was like what the heck? Major let down for me but Flavour Art is winning me back with Aurora (sparkling lime-aid flavor) and WOW (raspberry sugar coated donut)

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Flavour Art is winning me back with Aurora (sparkling lime-aid flavor) and WOW (raspberry sugar coated donut)

Last night's order included smalls of all the Artist's Touch flavors (Labyrinth, Metaphor, Morning Sun, and UP), and I threw in Cocoon and WOW for good measure. I had Aurora in the cart but took it back out (I already have a mixed-citrus sparkling wine recipe I like). I really anticipate making the testers for all of these!

Re: Joy - I guess the beer tent is part of the "fairground" too, eh? I guess we're lucky they didn't go for the "petting zoo" or "livestock competition" aspects.... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread