Cart Mod for better refilling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaik Corso

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Niagara
I think it depends more on where you locate the straw in relation to how you hold the cig. I use a 901 and the straw rests on an upper side of the cart when smoking. When you stop pulling/drawing on the cig the liquid wicks up to the atomizer and air comes back down the straw (gravity will keep the liquid away from the straw when it is held horizonally, and this is more apparent as the cart empties).

If the straw was on the bottom I could see it getting flooded with juice and not doing anything, but since mine never are I haven't tested that. I can tell you that my wick is almost 100% dry when I change the cart, and I get full vapor for the entire time I smoke it.

The straw seems to work best if it is protuding just slightly past the wick, but again this is only my finding. I do know I can get up to 10 drops into a 901 cart with a straw and loosely packed poly fill.

I don't think the straw does anything at all when you are drawing on the cig since there is equal vacuum across the entire end of the cart, so no air could get back down to the bottom of the cart until you stop heaving on it.

KreeL

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
West Texas
wait, ok, so yes obviously don't drip down the straw :)

but...wouldn't the fluid naturally flow up the straw from the bottom of the cart? and therefore...defeat the purpose?

i guess i'm trying to figure out how exactly the liquid can be kept OUT of the straw.

Simple, flitz. There isn't any liquid in the bottom of the cart to go 'up the straw'. The liquid is captured in the filler. The only thing at the bottom of your cart is air.

this worked great! i got 10 solid drops into my 901 atty. I'm wondering though how some people were able to get a consistent vapor all the way to an almost empty cartridge. I do get about double the vapor that I used to but then I have to top up. The end of my straw is below the top edge of the cart, yet just above the end of the filler. Any ideas?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Just tried this with a 510 cart and a quetip stem. Works fine. Topped off with 14 drops, instead of the usual 5-6. This helped even more:

"I think it depends more on where you locate the straw in relation to how you hold the cig." Put it on top. Thanks Shaik, and Kreel for the tips, And thanks OP for the idea!

Update: I thought perhaps it was just that I had the filler out to do the job, squeezed it to insert, etc., that it took all the drops but that is not the case. Just refilled 16 drops this time. Working nicely!

114211894.jpg

Last edited:

brownbrown4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2009
San Diego
Ok.... i tried this mod with a syringe needle.... it was a 20 gauge...
i cut it to length with wire cutters and cut again at a small angle. then i opened the flattened cut by squeezing it with said pliers softly. and then
them i rolled back the needle tip on its self to make it not sharp i put it in the cart and blew at it kinda hard
. . .. outcome.....
i had a full cart already... ugh.. had to clear it (36mg) ugh...
i noticed that it hit many more (too many times).times before i had to refill. and the vapor stayed thick throughout.
upon refilling.. i noticed it was dry all around the entire poly. but the center was still slightly saturated...

i want to try it with a way larger gauge needle next....
or maybe in the center or something

Jeff

lorraineg57

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Outside Pgh, PA
Very good idea. I assume you take the straw back out afterward so the atomizer does not melt it. I might of missed that part

The straw stays in. It's cut short enough as to not contact the atomizer and placed on the side of the cartridge, not in the middle where the bridge is.

DevDoc

Jun 25, 2009
Silly question here. Why is everyone concerned with the bridge (the part covererd in steel wool that arches above the actual heating element) which is down below in the center of the ceramic disc? It is my understanding that this apparatus is merely used to wick the fluid and protect the heater. Thats at least what it looked like when I had a fluky battery stay on and I watched the heating coil glow way down below.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread