Cartomizer cleaning??

Status
Not open for further replies.

panachronic

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2011
WA
Does the baking in the oven take away the bad flavor? I used the syringe with hot water, then alcohol. The cartos looked clean but still tasted like crap.
I have some serious reservations concerning the use of store-bought alcohol, even 90% alcohol. Think about that what that other 10% might consist of... it's probably not something you want to vape.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I have noticed what you mention, Cyrus. The polyfill seems to pull away from the sides of the carto, almost like a new T-shirt shrinking. (hope that analogy made sense...lol)
But, I've recently noted that after the juice is in the cleaned carto for a while, the filler seems to expand to the sides again.... no idea what's going on.
Right now I'm flushing the cartos with a baby syringe from WalMart and after I get most of the water out, rather than drying them, I'm trying dripping some PG in and putting on the condoms and letting it sit. So far, the filling is not pulling away from the sides. I know when I do fill it with juice again, it will be dilute for a while, but that will eventually (hopefully) go away over time. If it doesn't work, I'll be out one carto.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
I have noticed what you mention, Cyrus. The polyfill seems to pull away from the sides of the carto, almost like a new T-shirt shrinking. (hope that analogy made sense...lol)
But, I've recently noted that after the juice is in the cleaned carto for a while, the filler seems to expand to the sides again.... no idea what's going on.
Right now I'm flushing the cartos with a baby syringe from WalMart and after I get most of the water out, rather than drying them, I'm trying dripping some PG in and putting on the condoms and letting it sit. So far, the filling is not pulling away from the sides. I know when I do fill it with juice again, it will be dilute for a while, but that will eventually (hopefully) go away over time. If it doesn't work, I'll be out one carto.

thank you for sharing. that's exactly what I've noticed, it definetly does a bit of a 'shrink,' which you can note both visually and also practicaly (e.g. it holds less juice before it starts to leak and flood)

I didn't wait it out unfornately, and converted both cartos that I cleaned into 'drip cartomizers' for testing new juices on my manual :) Next time I do a cleaning I'll wait it out for a few fill cycles and see if its any different, I'll post my results

Just for clarity, my method thus far has been:

1) soak in devil springs (160 proof vodka) for a little bit (10-60 mins, depending on what I'm doing that day) Not sure this step contributes anything meaningful

2) flush ~6 times with a baby syringe and devil springs. Blow out any excess a few times

3) oven at ~200 degrees for ~ 1 hr

I may try to air dry or shorten the oven step. One thing I noticed was, the draw was more easy and the poly fill looked more fluffy after about 20 mins in the oven, and then at the 60 min mark it looked a bit shrunken and the draw seemed tighter. Over drying it may be the culprit?

keep ya'll posted

great thread!

Tinky

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2011
oklahoma
thank you for sharing. that's exactly what I've noticed, it definetly does a bit of a 'shrink,' which you can note both visually and also practicaly (e.g. it holds less juice before it starts to leak and flood)

I didn't wait it out unfornately, and converted both cartos that I cleaned into 'drip cartomizers' for testing new juices on my manual :) Next time I do a cleaning I'll wait it out for a few fill cycles and see if its any different, I'll post my results

Just for clarity, my method thus far has been:

1) soak in devil springs (160 proof vodka) for a little bit (10-60 mins, depending on what I'm doing that day) Not sure this step contributes anything meaningful

2) flush ~6 times with a baby syringe and devil springs. Blow out any excess a few times

3) oven at ~200 degrees for ~ 1 hr

I may try to air dry or shorten the oven step. One thing I noticed was, the draw was more easy and the poly fill looked more fluffy after about 20 mins in the oven, and then at the 60 min mark it looked a bit shrunken and the draw seemed tighter. Over drying it may be the culprit?

keep ya'll posted

great thread!

So its ok to rip oily fill out and use as a tank? I think I would prefer that at home & use the refilled cartos while I'm out & about. Using kr8....if that makes difference..

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I'm not sure how it would work if you took out the polyfill and tried to use it as a tank. From what I have seen of the "guts" of a polyfill carto, the coil is wrapped in a little "diaper" (which seems to be polyfill as well) then the polyfill is wrapped around that. If you got rid of the polyfill, you would have the coil submerged in the juice if you used it as a tank. I don't think you would get much vapor production (if any at all) because the coil would not be able to get hot enough due to being immersed in juice.
I believe some people have had success removing he polyfill and replacing it with PTB.
Hope this makes sense, it's just how I'm visualizing things......

Last edited:
Try this video on youtube. It looks a little perverted at times LOL - but this is a method I use and it works great. The medicine syringe is about $3.00 at the store with the little cone attachment.

YouTube - KR808D-1 Carto Cleaning: Quick-n-Easy.

This has worked wonderful for me, carto works pretty good afterward. Give it a try, for $3 it's hard to beat.....

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I have seen them at many grocery stores, drug stores and discount outlets like Dollar General, though Wallgreen's seems to have a lot of a store locations throughout the US here is a picture of one they sell.

31191710968_450x450_a.jpg

SSV2

Thanks for the visual aid! I was wondering how/what I would use to tackle cleaning those whopper size XXXL cartos for the E-Power. This looks like the only thing that might fit because of that adapter cone to fit bottles.. And I already have this on hand!

Will need to use a ginormous syringe on those 6 ml puppies. But I have those on hand too.

Rick

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago

underice

Verified Member
Jan 28, 2012
United States
I've had decent luck cleaning refillable 808's. I run hot water through them, 15 - 20 seconds....maybe a couple times. And then put them in the oven for 2 hours at 180 degrees. I'm using Mistic and Cig-easy cartomizers. I can do it 3 or 4 times Max before the filling gets compressed and terminally funky.

They take up an amazing amount of e-liquid during the first refill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread