DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
Dead? Nah, not even close ;-)

There are still a lot of people whose everyday go-to device is a carto tank. I still use them myself occasionally, good ol' standard resistance Boge cartos at around 7.5-8.0 watts depending on the juice. Still a nice hassle-free vape (apart from the occasional dud carto) to carry as a backup :)

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I used cartos and carto tanks for many months. My favorite was Smoktech single coil 2 ohm cartos (IMO the dual coils are junk) in a IBTanked tank. I also used all of the Smoktech plastic tanks (dct and u-dct). The smaller tanks worked well for out and about on a simple ego sized battery with a beauty ring.

I rarely use carto tanks now, but I still consider them to be a good foolproof device. I doubt that they are going away soon, but they might be on the endangered list. You rarely hear anyone discussing them anymore here on ECF.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I have a nice Smok UDCT, the kind with the locking ring at the bottom, and I love vaping with it, but I just got very tired of the cost of the replacement cartos; the kind I needed were single-coil, pre-punched, with the flange, so it's not even possible to do my own punching, to save money -- the kind without the flange won't work in that locking ring.

I do have a couple of *cartons* of XL single-coil cartos (and thank you very much to the santa who PIFed them to me!), which I sometimes use for "getting to know" a new flavor; the tight draw makes the taste very full, though not as keen as a good RDA or kayfun -- I've moved entirely to rebuildables, for sheer economy -- got 3 kayfuns, a Magma about a month ago, and I'm currently awaiting some Veritas Vapemail. :D

Andria

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    They're not dead , JUST becoming nitche, not unlike 35MM film when digital progressed.........I must add that I do see a day when the carto becomes unavailable / unprofitable to manufacture......

Yes, and I dread the day!
    I've already had to switch to a RDA because they no longer make my favorite 510 atomizer, and now my favorite vendor no longer carries cartomizers.

AND, it's all about the money. (lack of ours in their pocket) Why would a vendor want to sell a 75c-1.25$ cartos that will last about a month when they can sell 3-5$ heads that will only last a week. Or, sell a 15$ carto tank when they can sell a 50$ clearo tank.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 8, 2013
    Milledgeville, GA
    I never really liked the carto tanks I tried because I was worried about the tank sliding while in my pocket. I used cartos for a long time and I'd just fill up handful and vape all day with a little 3ml bottle of juice in my pocket for backup.
    I use them everyday. I always carry my Provari and ibtanked in my pocket. I've never had that problem. The carto orings hold it in SNUG! Actually when I go to refill most of the time I have to man handle it to push the carto out enough to fill it back up.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 28, 2011
    MA, USA
    You don't hear much about cartos because they are very early technology that was refined, and hasn't changed at all in a long while (I would like to see some with cotton or rayon filler, though, and perhaps a bit better airflow!). Likewise for carto-tanks - there's not much to them, so there isn't anything to improve on.

Despite that fact, they're reliable performers, perhaps the simplest types of heads to use, and many folks really like them. They just don't get much press, because there's nothing new about them.

I do worry a bit, though. As an example ecigsupply recently dumped all their boges (99 cents for a 5-pack! they ran out pretty quickly even though they still show them on their sale page). And although I've only been to a couple of B+M's, I've never seen a carto setup at any of them - their "low end" is something like evod tanks.

If they're dying out, it's from the supply side, I think - fewer new vapers are introduced to them, so they aren't seeing the sales growth that other types of gear have. (Plus, they're hard to distinguish from the crappy gas-station cigalikes because they look about the same).

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I've only ever used Momnpop's grommet tanks which hold securely enuf. But I was thinking about getting "normal" tanks, like a cheap slidey Smoketech where it's easy to get the carto out.

Then I was thinking of having a flared base to keep it from sliding down and a tight fitting fat bottom (vase?) driptip to keep it from sliding upwards.

This is a good time for carto users, I've gotten them as cheap as 3 something a box and they're getting close to having an inexpensive well working clearo now- Naughty??

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I use them everyday. I always carry my Provari and ibtanked in my pocket. I've never had that problem. The carto orings hold it in SNUG! Actually when I go to refill most of the time I have to man handle it to push the carto out enough to fill it back up.

My thought was that he must have tried one of those cheap Smoktech tanks that fit so loose that they needed to add a flange to their cartos.

I hadn't thought about it for a long time because I've been doing it for so long that kinda like muscle memory, but I have to push the 510 connector end of the carto against my desk to to get the carto to move.

But, before caro tanks, this was my "carto tank"
    tic-tac1.jpg

and I don't even like TicTacs :lol:

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I use Phiniac tanks & un flanged carto's and have never had a carto move any direction without using a good deal of force, the slipping tank / carto issue is from using under sized o rings and or low/poor quality caps & tanks.
    No need for flanges or carto locking systems.

True, but I never liked the idea of having to fight the tank to refill or remove.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread